Game collection discussion (Physical copies only).

Very nice to see people still buy boxed PC games. :)

Have somewhere between 100-200 PC games in my collection.

As someone who has been collecting PC games for decades, I will say one thing though - earlier game devs used to put significant effort into designing retail boxes. For several years though its been space saving "DVD cases" or small cardboard boxes with prolly a DVD, a paper with a "CD-KEY" and an extremely slim manual (if you're VERY lucky).

I remember the good old days where boxes were truly a pleasure to buy and game manuals really felt like manuals. Case in point - the "manual" that came in the boxed "Falcon 4" retail box was the best boxed manual I have ever seen to date and is unlikely to ever be matched by anything else in terms of quality and content.

Of my collection, I would sat about a 80-100 games are packed away in storage cartons "somewhere" in my basement making it somewhat tedious to access them. Having said that will try and post some pics of part of my boxed collection that I currently do have easier access to...
I love physical copies of games for the same reasons. I absolutely hate the fact that they removed the physical manuals in Vita games boxes.

I had to go through a lot of hooplas just to get a copy of GTA 3 manual. I even emailed Rockstar regarding it and then finally had to buy the entire 3d era collection to just get the manual.

The physical copies of certain games that I have feel as if they're pirated. It is why I stay away from physical copies of PC games now.

Guys keep posting. I am loving this stuff.

Btw here's something -

1d4186f166caecd9432c215145958b3f.jpg

I didn't have a pc or afford games so when I found these copies from Raddiwalas I picked them up and read them. That's all I could do. Sadly who ever owned the Game Force magazine was a real jerk. The beautiful artwork of Oni is ruined.

fd137414970da9c1d6c8ff6a3ee25568.jpg

This is the Indiana Jones game I think - Indiana Jones and the infernal machine. Funny the article has a then and now comparing the game to it's Atari Counterpart. What if we compared this to Uncharted 4.

d2edb9d2711b026447fbd2eb9d379ef6.jpg

I so wanted to play superbike 2000 after reading this article over and over and seeing the then photorealistic screenshots. I bought a pc but couldn't find it but found superbike 2001.

Behold the first PC game I ever bought.
2192bc46aedfce37b818d4bd6382aff1.jpg

My favorite bike game to this day. If I had a ps2 and tourist trophy on it may be I would've a different opinion but since I didn't this rocks.

Here are another 2 -
3f6ffeef41f432171f8e8eb4dc9bbeff.jpg

550d27427ed47d84cbb9acc2352e4b5a.jpg

25330b39bb096847476a054cf6af739c.jpg

Oni is a game made by Bungie before they were developing exclusively for Microsoft for a few years. We got Halo out of that deal but sadly no sequel to this after that and Destiny after that. Amazing Hand to hand combat and an okay third person shooter with a good Sci Fi story and anime cutscenes. What more could you ask for?

Rune too was an amazing game for it's time but I got bored and I was playing that after SoF2: Double Helix so sight play much.

Sadly I couldn't get the actual boxes and back when I bought them I was not into collecting. I saw the actual Rune box in a recent LGR review and it is amazing. That reminds me if you guys like old PC games then LGR is worth checking out. Like MJR he too has a large collection but mainly reviews old PC games.

Oni was a good game that could have been great in more fortunate circumstances. Bungie got acquired by MS in the middle of development and the uncertain times showed in the final product. Multiplayer along with a lot of levels, guns, enemies and a mech were cut. Played the demo back in the day, was great fun.

Speaking of great fun, this was one of my favourite games back in the day. The story, music, presentation everything was top notch.

IMG_20161018_015409143.jpg

Still the best space sim to come out for me.

Here are some other games with cool packages

IMG_20161018_020002.jpg

IMG_20161018_020322213.jpg

Ok guys, here are most of mine. Haven't been able to locate at least 1 (maybe 2) carton(s) of games and its actually got me a little worried as I seem to missing some very important games.

Fair warning - this page might take some time to load depending on your connection speed. Hope this wont be an issue with the mods? If it is please delete my post as this is beyond my control.

I have purposely left the images at the current sizes in case anyone wants to zoom any specific ones for a clearer view. To do so, click the image, this will redirect to the Postimage site, then click it again there to see the full size version.

PS - Had to "white out" some area on a couple of boxes because in the old days, "CD Serial Keys" were often printed/stickered right on the front of the box itself! :p

photoupload
upload a gif
images upload

image hosting 5mb

gif upload

Last edited:
@Rickyk : Awesome ...i am soo jealous...;P My most hunted game is AVP big box great game!..never thought big box was released in india. Are these all collected from India? I salute you!

WOW! some high grade cocaine stuff there!! :openmouth: Some of those games there are of very high value.
Resident evil nemesis named in hindi!
I cant believe the orange box pc costs so much now. Min 650 @ amazon that too only 1 copy left. If anybody wants to grab it then go ahead. After that a brand new seal copy will cost more.

Last edited:
Thanks guy - greatly apperciated. :)

@dottedindian
70% from India, balance 30% from the US.

As for AVP2, this was very much bought in India many years ago. If you look at the original image you will see a blue and silver Round "WWC" sticker on the top right corner of the box.

"WWC" stands for "World Wide CD-Roms" which is (or at least was) an Indian game distributor many years ago. They might still be around. You can check the below link for their contact details including last known address, contact no. etc. in case you're interested -

http://www.indiamart.com/wwcdrom/

@quan chi
You have a keen eye considering you noticed that. I have never played a RE series game and bought it mainly for the fact that I found the Hindi text on the box quite amusing... :p

I regret not picking up NFS 3, 4, 5 Underground 1 and 2 and Most Wanted Black Edition when they were still selling. Poor broke student back then. I wish EA would sort out the licensing stuff and re-release these games in Origin. I would instantly buy them all. Homeworld Cataclysm, another great game not available due to ownership issues between publishers. I don't think Mechwarrior games are also available, conflict between FASA and Microsoft I think. Had great fun Mechwarrior 4, pity Mechwarrior Online and Hawken didn't turn out so well.

@swagatrath
Thanks man. Found some more games (mostly sims) take a look -

@dottedindian
Since the AVP box is of particular interest to you, I took some close ups so you could get a better view.
Back in the day, Devs/Pubs actually cared and made an effort to release great quality boxes/box art. Sadly this is a rarity nowadays due to the high cost of display space at stores and a significant shift of sales to digital distribution channels where there are no "physical" copies to distribute.

The box cover has a very nice "embossed" finish that can only be appreciated if its actually in your hand. Maybe from this angle you might get a better idea of what I mean -

The box cover folds outwards to reveal a double size page with info on the game. This type of "fold out" cover was once pretty much "the norm" for good quality PC games -

And lastly the back of the box (import date is stated as Dec 2001 so this box is almost 15 years old) -

I regret not picking up NFS 3, 4, 5 Underground 1 and 2 and Most Wanted Black Edition when they were still selling. Poor broke student back then. I wish EA would sort out the licensing stuff and re-release these games in Origin. I would instantly buy them all. Homeworld Cataclysm, another great game not available due to ownership issues between publishers. I don't think Mechwarrior games are also available, conflict between FASA and Microsoft I think. Had great fun Mechwarrior 4, pity Mechwarrior Online and Hawken didn't turn out so well.

Yep I know exactly what you mean but rather than re-release them on Origin, I would much rather EA hand them over to the guys at GOG and let them modify the games so as to make them easier to run under modern OS's - something that the GOG guys do exceptionally well.

More than a little surprised to hear you like Mech games - I absolutely love them.

The first "mech" game I ever played was Shogo MAD (its part of my collection) and I was literally blown away by it. Loved Mech games ever since.

The Mech Warrior series in particular had great gameplay and fantastic soundtracks. The Heavy Gear Series weren't that bad either. Heavy Gear 2 was actually very good and pretty much on par with Mech Warrior at the time. Heavy Gear I & II are both part of my collection and I fully intend to revisit them again at some time.

There was a Kickstarter attempt to revive a "Mech" game called "Heavy Gear Assault" but unfortunately it fell through -
http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/23/44...ctions-cancels-heavy-gear-assault-kickstarter

The Devs however continue to work on the game so it may yet live to see a full release at some point -
https://heavygear.com/

As for Hawken - well I had HUGE hopes for and was very disappointed with what it ended up like.

I know the following vid will seem graphically outdated to most by today's standards but even now, when I see the intro to Mechwarrior 2 (or hear music from the game in my car) it gives me goosebumps and a sense of wonderment that's very hard to describe or explain to todays generation of gamers.

Sorry for the off-thread guys but this is purely for nostalgia and the hope that some of you will appreciate the "good old days" :p -

Last edited:
@Rickyk : Bro..I love this game..easily among my top 5...I was obsessed with it..I have seen the big box online earlier...I have the chotu version of it imported from thailand :p...This is JC version still sealed ..all txt is in thai.. which makes it look more alien..lol
IMG_20161024_210332723.jpg
IMG_20161024_210339150.jpg
IMG_20161024_210440811.jpg

Also I have harassed the WWC guys already by calls and emails for this and other games long back..i also tried all shops in bangalore/Hyderabad with no luck..give me more leads if u have lol...also dont ever mention your address in public..i may come to steal your treasure!:D

@quan chi - Can I post my console games collection here?

I think I will rant a bit here -

Rant Start

I recently upgraded my PC after nearly 8 years. In anticipation I bought 2 games Trackmania Turbo and DiRT Rally as physical copies.

DiRT Rally needs Steam and Trackmania Turbo needs uPlay and they both came with codes that were to be activated with their individual clients.

DiRT Rally - The second disc would just get stuck and wouldn't proceed and if you hit the eject button it would ask for disc 3. What about the remaining data of disc 2? I restarted the installation and the same thing happened and I continued with disc 3 and then disc 4. Then nearly 2 hours+ later since I first started installing it tells me it needs to download another 11 GB on steam. Then I thought what if files of second disc are then found missing and I have to do it all over again. So I quit the update and you can't play without updating. So I deleted the game and then started a 30+ GB download of the entire thing.

Trackmania Turbo at least was a much better experience with the game installing much of the data and then doing a 700 mb + patch installation. Funny I played Trackmania Sunrise Extreme and I think the entire game was around that size.

Now the discs are just useless and if I like the game I can't give it to a friend to play because I have used up the code. So one way of sharing would be handing my credentials to him and being offline while he plays.

All in all it seems like the physical media is dying but only because the wrong medium is being used. Bluray drives adoption was poor so I can understand why the publishers didn't go for it. Floppy Drives > CDs > DVDs > Digital Downloads but why not ship out physical copies as non erasable flash drives the size of those tiny PNY drives. The installation won't work without code any way but at the same time it won't be as painful as installing from a DVD and will last much longer and perform faster.

FUP is another thing that kinda kills the mood. I downloaded a few games over steam and I am near the end of my FUP limit.

It really makes me question my decision to switch back to PC gaming but when I play DiRT Rally in it's full glory the expense feels justified.

Rant End

Last edited:
Back