Budget 51-70k Gaming @ 1080p low-medium settings

Thanks for the information. This is a tough choice. I'll have to think about it. But most likely I'll go with what you've said: get the 1600
R5 1600 is definitely the better choice. It's also getting a lot of discounts as the new Zen+ CPU is coming in April. A few days ago it was selling for 15K on primeabgb and mdcomputers.

R5 1600 is definitely the better choice. It's also getting a lot of discounts as the new Zen+ CPU is coming in April. A few days ago it was selling for 15K on primeabgb and mdcomputers.

Oh! I was not aware of it. Thanks for letting me know. I'll keep an eye out on the prices.

I'm actually planning to wait till the new processors are released. The prices on the gen 1 will drop(hopefully). Although I understand that this might go both ways, either the prices of the CPUs drop and the price of 1050 remains same in which case I'll get a sweet deal or in the worst case the price of CPU remains same and the price of the 1050 increase in which case I'll be toast :D

Hoping for the best here!

Edit: I don't want to get gen 2. Just hoping that the prices for gen 1 will drop and I get a sweet deal :)

Oh! I was not aware of it. Thanks for letting me know. I'll keep an eye out on the prices.

I'm actually planning to wait till the new processors are released. The prices on the gen 1 will drop(hopefully). Although I understand that this might go both ways, either the prices of the CPUs drop and the price of 1050 remains same in which case I'll get a sweet deal or in the worst case the price of CPU remains same and the price of the 1050 increase in which case I'll be toast :D

Hoping for the best here!

Edit: I don't want to get gen 2. Just hoping that the prices for gen 1 will drop and I get a sweet deal :)
While waiting keep an eye on the GPU prices if you find the GPU at lower price then buy it first and then go with the rest of the build. Last month I have seen GTX 1050 for 9500 but this week the cheapest was selling for 10600. I am also building a new PC and looking for price drop on either 1060 or 1070 but so far had no luck with that. :p

While waiting keep an eye on the GPU prices if you find the GPU at lower price then buy it first and then go with the rest of the build. Last month I have seen GTX 1050 for 9500 but this week the cheapest was selling for 10600. I am also building a new PC and looking for price drop on either 1060 or 1070 but no luck with that. :p

Holy crap! Are you serious? 1050 under 10K. I would love me one! :D

Thanks. I'll definitely keep an eye out then.
I'm not very sure but the prices on 1060 and the 1070 won't drop so soon. It'll take a considerably more time. I don't think 1050 or even the 1050 TI can be used for mining so they'll sell for their MSRP. Not the case with 1060 and the 1070.

Holy crap! Are you serious? 1050 under 10K. I would love me one! :D

Thanks. I'll definitely keep an eye out then.
I'm not very sure but the prices on 1060 and the 1070 won't drop so soon. It'll take a considerably more time. I don't think 1050 or even the 1050 TI can be used for mining so they'll sell for their MSRP. Not the case with 1060 and the 1070.
The 9.5K one was Msi GTX 1050 2 fan oc edition and it was selling on Amazon and the seller was cloudtail. Usually most of the pc components are overpriced on Amazon but the low price could be due to cloudtail being the seller. And the 10.6k one was Asus GTX 1050 expedition 2 fan oc edition and it was selling at vedantcomputers and went out of stock yesterday. 1050 and TIs are selling rather quickly due to high prices of other GPUs. So grab one when you see a low price.

The 9.5K one was Msi GTX 1050 2 fan oc edition and it was selling on Amazon and the seller was cloudtail. Usually most of the pc components are overpriced on Amazon but the low price could be due to cloudtail being the seller. And the 10.6k one was Asus GTX 1050 expedition 2 fan oc edition and it was selling at vedantcomputers and went out of stock yesterday. 1050 and TIs are selling rather quickly due to high prices of other GPUs. So grab one when you see a low price.

If I can get the OC edition for that price I'll surely buy it. Thanks for the information. I'll keep checking these websites more frequently.

Get a 2200G, and overclock it (especially the GPU is very overclockable). It'll do Skyrim at 1080p 60 fps at High settings. GTA V is well documented at running 1080p 60 fps at Medium settings too. Or you can bump up the settings but target 30 fps for a console-like experience. Your choice. Any games older than that like Fallout NV will probably run maxed out. Anyway, there are enough games that run well on 2200G (actually, just Skyrim is enough...) that'll keep you busy till the prices for GPUs drop and then you can get a RX 560 or GTX 1050 for more demanding games. (GT 1030 is pointless as a 2200G overclocked is basically same performance) Make sure you get 2933 MHz RAM at least dual-channel though.

Get a 2200G, and overclock it (especially the GPU is very overclockable). It'll do Skyrim at 1080p 60 fps at High settings. GTA V is well documented at running 1080p 60 fps at Medium settings too. Or you can bump up the settings but target 30 fps for a console-like experience. Your choice. Any games older than that like Fallout NV will probably run maxed out. Anyway, there are enough games that run well on 2200G (actually, just Skyrim is enough...) that'll keep you busy till the prices for GPUs drop and then you can get a RX 560 or GTX 1050 for more demanding games. (GT 1030 is pointless as a 2200G overclocked is basically same performance) Make sure you get 2933 MHz RAM at least dual-channel though.

This does seem like a good build but I'll have the following 2 problems:
1. Getting high frequency RAM will be more expensive
2. MoBo Bios update. Unless the retailer is willing to update the BIOS for me, I'll be screwed. The other day I read a comment on Amazon where a customer had purchased a MoBo for the APU after confirming with the retailer that the MoBo will be updated to support the APU only to realize that it wasn't and he had to return it. So a bit problematic for me, I think.

I do understand this: with the APU build I'll save some money upfront. But the cost difference for the APU build(completed with the GPU and the higher frequency RAM) and the cost for the build that user: him has provided will be the difference in the prices of the processors. Since all the other components excluding the CPU, RAM and GPU will reamin the same. Also I don't think mining has had any effect on the prices of the GTX 1050(at least not as significantly).

^^ Get the R5 1600 - you will not regret it. Also, you have stated that you are skeptical about overclocking. In my humble opinion, go for it, afterall, it is all about learning,and in today's world, you can achieve the overclocking without the stock colling options and do not require the extreme third party cooling solutions. So if you want to overclock - R5 1600X should be the one. Trust me, you will not regret it and the learning from the overclocking, will open your eyes for further innovations :)

Are you looking to overclock?
  • Not sure. Since this will be my first build a bit skeptical.

Back