Here few pics from my side..

1-5.jpg

DSC_0498Medium.jpg

DSC_0506Medium.jpg

DSC_0505Medium.jpg

DSC_0504Medium.jpg

DSC_0503Medium.jpg

DSC_0502Medium.jpg

:mad::mad::mad: Its been weeks, but still no sign of Acer 5740g in Kolkata.
Some unscrupulous dealers are even saying its not yet available in India.
Don't know how long to wait :huh:

avan93 said:
:mad::mad::mad: Its been weeks, but still no sign of Acer 5740g in Kolkata.
Some unscrupulous dealers are even saying its not yet available in India.
Don't know how long to wait :huh:

Acer 5740G will be available in March beginning or last week

Hi all

iam planning to get sony lappy from US for $900(40k INR)

CompUSA.com | VPCEB1PFX/B | Sony VAIO VPCEB1PFX/B Notebook PC

what do u say when compared with Acer5740g in india.which is best?????

Looks good the specs...

Just a note of caution, sony is not a part of the ati catalyst driver program so the latest driver catalyst 10.3 won't work with this laptop. And also you won't have driver updates from ati in future.
And also the sony gpu is underclocked compared to acer (by 100Mhz) to control heating issues. Not that this will severely affect performance but then if you want to squeeze every bit of performance then you may feel little disappointed.

ok guys at last decided to go with Acer 5740g due to following reasons when compared with sony

1.sony does not support catalyst 10. 3 drivers update which will make a huge performence diff
2.sony with i3 processor
3.hd5650 reduced clock to 100 mhz
4.full hd resolution will effect gaming performence
5.at last Price ;) sony costs 50k
just wanted to knw does acer support international warrenty??/

yes, croma guy tells me its 1 yr international warranty but i havent yet verified the claim even though i bought the basic model already :)

laptop7 said:
ok guys at last decided to go with Acer 5740g due to following reasons when compared with sony

1.sony does not support catalyst 10. 3 drivers update which will make a huge performence diff
2.sony with i3 processor
3.hd5650 reduced clock to 100 mhz
4.full hd resolution will effect gaming performence
5.at last Price ;) sony costs 50k
just wanted to knw does acer support international warrenty??/

1.No idea how much difference it will make
2.Not much difference in performance
3.clock reduced by 100 mhz not to 100 mhz
4.can always play on lower resolution
5.Its a SONY!!

^^ Any game that is not played in a laptop at native resolution does not look pretty. The vaio screen at lower resolution looks ghastly ... But it's very pretty at full resolution.

And also the new catalyst drivers have improved performance by quite a bit. And the gpu (in acer, no idea about sony) overclocks nicely to 650Mhz without overheating and that's 5730 for my money (for free).

social said:
Looks good the specs...

Just a note of caution, sony is not a part of the ati catalyst driver program so the latest driver catalyst 10.3 won't work with this laptop. And also you won't have driver updates from ati in future.
And also the sony gpu is underclocked compared to acer (by 100Mhz) to control heating issues. Not that this will severely affect performance but then if you want to squeeze every bit of performance then you may feel little disappointed.
hi,
Please can you give proof :
1.Where its said that sony is not a part of the ati catalyst driver program
2.The sony gpu is underclocked compared to acer (by 100Mhz).
I am really confused between the acer and sony:(

^^
1. Check out the drivers page of amd (read ati) and it's clearly mentioned sony, toshiba and some others (not acer though) are not part of the catalyst driver program. Also,the installation file checks to see if the laptop is from a particular brand (if it is a sony or toshiba than installation just quits).

2. Checked it out personally. Go to any shop and open the catalyst control centre in sony. Under graphics information it is clearly shown that the clock speed is 450 Mhz.

i hope it answers your question. I think someone in the forum has this model of vaio. Why don't you ask him to post a screen shot of the sony.

social said:
^^
1. Check out the drivers page of amd (read ati) and it's clearly mentioned sony, toshiba and some others (not acer though) are not part of the catalyst driver program. Also,the installation file checks to see if the laptop is from a particular brand (if it is a sony or toshiba than installation just quits).

2. Checked it out personally. Go to any shop and open the catalyst control centre in sony. Under graphics information it is clearly shown that the clock speed is 450 Mhz.

i hope it answers your question. I think someone in the forum has this model of vaio. Why don't you ask him to post a screen shot of the sony.

so according to you we will not be able to install beta drivers ,but will be able to install WHQL drivers rite ? or there's no future drivers for sony ?:S

but can we mod the inf file like we do in nvidia (sometimes) and install the drivers? :p

Well do some googling and there are a lot of people who complain about lack of driver support for mobile gpus.

ATI has finally pulled its socks and started mobility support with catalyst 10.3. However manufacturers like sony and toshiba preferred to remain out of this.

Now why does sony do it? It is to control heating issues. Your card runs less hot and the laptop runs cooler. The entire system is made according to this. Now if you use a modified driver or overclock such a system, then the heating system may take a beating which will obviously cook the notebook as well as void warranty.

But as they say, the choice is ours (but is it really is the question)

Its a great laptop indeed and i'm getting mighty interested in getting it after waiting in vain for dell to refresh their studio 15 series with better GPU and keyboard with numpad. I could have waited more as i really love the control dell provides over the features and the ease of buying it online, but cant. So thanks guys for revealing this great product.

However i've a probem, my works involves AutoCAD, photoshop, video editing etc which apart from being graphics intensive are also much affected by the HDD(which isnt impressive on 5740g as its a 5400rpm drive) and i've planned on getting an intel x25m 80gb SSD as a primary drive for this laptop. Thus my question is whether this laptop has an extra HDD slot?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Update: NotebookCheck did a detailed review recently and i got my answer. There isnt a second hd slot.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Acer-Aspire-5740G-Notebook.27466.0.html

Back