Budget 90k+ Gaming pc for 180k

Vincee

R@P GOD!!!! :)
Disciple
Hi all.

-What is your budget?

*180k +/- 10k will do the job:D

- What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

*None. But i have compaq 510 laptop.

- Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

*None as i dont have any.

- Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

*Confused between IVY & Haswell.
i7 3770k/ i7 4770k
gtx 690/ gtx 770/ gtx 780

- Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

*Final. As i will not be upgrading it for another 2 years.

- Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

* Bangalore
* Open to online purchase

- Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

* No

- What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

* Gaming
* Browsing
* Watching HD movies

- Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

* None. Suggest any brand components which are good and vfm.

- If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?

* Sports- Fifa, Pes etc,.
* Racing - Nfs, Dirt etc,.
* FPS - Crysis, Battlefield etc,.

- What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

* Gaming - 1080p(all eyecandy)
* Desktop - 1080p

- Are you looking to overclock?

* Yes. But only when there is genuine need.

- Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

* Windows 7/8 64 bit

I was having gaming rig which was having i7 3770k & gtx 670. Unfortunately I gave it to my little brother. So suggest me a new gaming rig which can max out all the games. Thank you.

Why to spend 180k just for the gaming? You can build up a gaming system in half of this amount which play all latest titles and it will easily last for next 2 years (unless you are planning to buy all top end components like 60-70k GPU,20-25k mobo, 30-40k CPU etc). You can plan for another upgrade with saved money.

With this budget, go only with Haswell.

Wait for experts advice on components..

Intel 4770k Approx 20-22k

Asus Z87 Pro Approx 15-17k

AMD Radeon 7970 30k

Samsung 512gb SSD 840 Approx 28-30k

Seagate 7200.14 3TB 7200rpm Approx 8-9k

Seasonic Gold rated 600 watts or more Approx 6-10k

Blu ray player 5-7k

Corsair mid tower or CM full tower Within 7-10k

Creative Z sound card Approx 6-8k I guess

Dell U2713HM 38k

APC 1.5kva ups 6-8k

Logitech G700/G700s 6k+

Keyboard in 3-4k tops

We are already around 2L, speakers are still left.

So you can go for a cheaper monitor, remove the sound card, spend something less here and there to go in for 10-20k for speakers and still fit within 1.8-2L

At close to 200K, it does not make sense to use anything lower than 2560x resolution. '1080p' is a small monitor and a small resolution, you could put together a system to max out every game at that resolution in half your budget, plus every 1920x monitor is very different and most are crap.

At the 4MP resolution of a 2560x there is less than 1fps difference between Haswell and the A10 5800k which costs a third of the Intel, unless you go multi-GPU: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6985/choosing-a-gaming-cpu-at-1440p-adding-in-haswell-/5

I would say a 2560x monitor - not the 2713 but the 3014U should be what your system is based on. Yes, it's pricey but it will last a lifetime and is the most important component of a system as that is what you will interact with every second (my 3008 is now 6 years old and still going strong). Once that is out of the equation you need the horses to drive that display and two 7950s in XFire or a single GTX780 is what you should look at. You will be GPU limited far more than CPU limited - from later in the same article:

While the testing shows a pretty dynamic split between Intel and AMD at around the 82 FPS mark, all processors are roughly +/- 1 or 2 around this mark, meaning that even an A8-5600K will feel like the i7-3770K. The 4770K has a small but ultimately unnoticable advantage in gameplay.

To power all of this you need a great supply. I would use at least the X850 from Seasonic (mine powers two 6970s, so will be fine with two 7950s as well as a 780). Once you add up up all of this you are at about 140k, leaving you about 50k for the platform, the chassis and the disks. It's a bit tight but is still possible with a WD Black 1TB for storage and game installs, and a small SSD for the OS, an Antec P280 and a 8350+990FX OR Haswell 4430 and an entry-level Z87 board (I would use SB/IB as the performance difference is practically unnoticeable, Haswell is a power optimisation platform, not performance maximisation), plus 8GB RAM.

3014 is like 80k. That is too much in a 200k budget. Good keyboards, mouse etc individually cost 5-10k each. Considering my above rig, he can't afford to spend even 30k on a monitor.

And a single quality 600 watts is more than enough to power the rig I built, in fact any single GPU built for that matter, no matter how much he ocs.. He doesn't need 850 except for dual GPUs and oc.

3014 is like 80k. That is too much in a 200k budget.

Opinion and truth are very far removed from each other.

PSUs and monitors last many builds - I have supplies that have lasted through multiple upgrades of the platform, and my monitor did not need an upgrade or service in these 6 years. CPUs and GPUs go obsolete every generation - every six months, when nV and ATI introduce teir new stuff, you are saddled with old crap. In one year you will have to drop one resolution for every new game that you want to play at max. If you built a rig that could max out Crysis2, what are the max settings you can play at today?

Understand what gaming is, before commenting on a rig build - it's about detail, resolution and FPS, now and in the future. The money is only a means to reach an objective simply slicing it into equal shares is not the way to build a rig - you have to consider what the best possible experience is, that can be delivered for a budget. The job of a tech forum is to be able to ensure that the TS gets good bang for the busk - and I don't see how a CPU which sits idle 40% of the time (as it does in 99% of games) deserves the maximum money, or even how spending 40k on storage is a fantastic idea in a rig where storage is only used when loading levels.

Coming to the PSU, from the time you were called something else on this forum, we have spoken about how you hit the maximum efficiency and optimum operation of a PSU at loads between 50 and 65%. Will a 600-650 do today? Yes. Tomorrow? After adding a second or third card if a game launch requires that horsepower? You tell me, since you know gaming so well.

Unsubscribed.

Dude, no matter how what system you have:

If you have a single current gen card oced no matter how high you want

with a single ssd single HDD

3770k/4770k cpu oced as high as you want (not 3930k or so)

then a single gold level 600 watts psu will be just fine as long as you don't change the system or unless it starts loosing power which will be at least 2-3 years.

If you want to future proof for one more GPU generation and also for 3930k level oc cpus, then getting 700-750 watts is still enough for single gpus no matter how high you oc.

And a 750 watts will easily last 3-4+ years with single gpu single cpu setups assuming things in the future pan out as we know they are going to.

Why to spend 180k just for the gaming? You can build up a gaming system in half of this amount which play all latest titles and it will easily last for next 2 years (unless you are planning to buy all top end components like 60-70k GPU,20-25k mobo, 30-40k CPU etc). You can plan for another upgrade with saved money.

With this budget, go only with Haswell.

Wait for experts advice on components..

I want top of the line components.:D

Intel 4770k Approx 20-22k

Asus Z87 Pro Approx 15-17k

AMD Radeon 7970 30k

Samsung 512gb SSD 840 Approx 28-30k

Seagate 7200.14 3TB 7200rpm Approx 8-9k

Seasonic Gold rated 600 watts or more Approx 6-10k

Blu ray player 5-7k

Corsair mid tower or CM full tower Within 7-10k

Creative Z sound card Approx 6-8k I guess

Dell U2713HM 38k

APC 1.5kva ups 6-8k

Logitech G700/G700s 6k+

Keyboard in 3-4k tops

We are already around 2L, speakers are still left.

So you can go for a cheaper monitor, remove the sound card, spend something less here and there to go in for 10-20k for speakers and still fit within 1.8-2L
Thanks. I will look forward to it. But can you elaborate why hd7970??

At close to 200K, it does not make sense to use anything lower than 2560x resolution. '1080p' is a small monitor and a small resolution, you could put together a system to max out every game at that resolution in half your budget, plus every 1920x monitor is very different and most are crap.

At the 4MP resolution of a 2560x there is less than 1fps difference between Haswell and the A10 5800k which costs a third of the Intel, unless you go multi-GPU: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6985/choosing-a-gaming-cpu-at-1440p-adding-in-haswell-/5

I would say a 2560x monitor - not the 2713 but the 3014U should be what your system is based on. Yes, it's pricey but it will last a lifetime and is the most important component of a system as that is what you will interact with every second (my 3008 is now 6 years old and still going strong). Once that is out of the equation you need the horses to drive that display and two 7950s in XFire or a single GTX780 is what you should look at. You will be GPU limited far more than CPU limited - from later in the same article:

To power all of this you need a great supply. I would use at least the X850 from Seasonic (mine powers two 6970s, so will be fine with two 7950s as well as a 780). Once you add up up all of this you are at about 140k, leaving you about 50k for the platform, the chassis and the disks. It's a bit tight but is still possible with a WD Black 1TB for storage and game installs, and a small SSD for the OS, an Antec P280 and a 8350+990FX OR Haswell 4430 and an entry-level Z87 board (I would use SB/IB as the performance difference is practically unnoticeable, Haswell is a power optimisation platform, not performance maximisation), plus 8GB RAM.
3014 is like 80k. That is too much in a 200k budget. Good keyboards, mouse etc individually cost 5-10k each. Considering my above rig, he can't afford to spend even 30k on a monitor.

And a single quality 600 watts is more than enough to power the rig I built, in fact any single GPU built for that matter, no matter how much he ocs.. He doesn't need 850 except for dual GPUs and oc.
How about 3*Eyefinity setup. Even more resolution. But oh my Bezel Compensations and all.

How about 3*Eyefinity setup. Even more resolution. But oh my Bezel Compensations and all.

Bezel compensation is not an issue as much as pushing the res to 6MP with 3 1920x displays. You will definitely need dual graphics if you want AA and AF on a system with 6MP. And that has its own issues. Plus, 99% of games will have compatibility with a single 2560x, not all will work properly at full res+dual GPU.

If you want, obviously trading off a single large 30" monitor for three 1920x displays will save some cash which you can then plough into GPU power so yes, that is a viable option as well.

Bezel compensation is not an issue as much as pushing the res to 6MP with 3 1920x displays. You will definitely need dual graphics if you want AA and AF on a system with 6MP. And that has its own issues. Plus, 99% of games will have compatibility with a single 2560x, not all will work properly at full res+dual GPU.

If you want, obviously trading off a single large 30" monitor for three 1920x displays will save some cash which you can then plough into GPU power so yes, that is a viable option as well.

So basically you will suggest a large single res display against eyefinity?

Yup. Surround gaming is more immersive, but harder to max out at your budget. Two 7970 is minimum and not sure if it'll be enough. Single 2560 monitor and one 780 or two 7950 is good. Take it from a crossfire user, single card is always better.

Yup. Surround gaming is more immersive, but harder to max out at your budget. Two 7970 is minimum and not sure if it'll be enough. Single 2560 monitor and one 780 or two 7950 is good. Take it from a crossfire user, single card is always better.

Which 2560 monitor you will suggest if you want to?

Or you could take a leap of faith, save some dosh and get a Korean 1440p monitor. (roughly $300-350 shipped, before customs/duties).

Gets you a relatively mega sized monitor while not requiring as much GPU grunt.

Or you could take a leap of faith, save some dosh and get a Korean 1440p monitor. (roughly $300-350 shipped, before customs/duties).

Gets you a relatively mega sized monitor while not requiring as much GPU grunt.

Are you talking about crossover 27q led-p or Catleap monitor. Heard that korean monitors have some dead pixels.

Yes, have you not been following the discussion?

It will last 4 times as long as any other component of your rig.

The only downside is the need to keep it happy with a nice big GPU every two years to drive games to max resolution.

Ok, maybe not as much on the GPU front, but definitely cheaper for the monitor itself :)
Also, it's more like 9%. 2560*1440 = 3,686,400 & 2560*1600 = 4,096,000.

I just placed an order - http://www.ebay.com/itm/130892638671 (fingers crossed that it arrives in one piece and doesn't have backlight bleed issues).
These are PLS panels (Not IPS like the Catleap/crossover). I don't think a few dead pixels (if that many) are going to be a big deal, pretty sure you wont notice them in day to day usage. Go in with low expectations and you'll be rewarded :)

Opinion and truth are very far removed from each other.

PSUs and monitors last many builds - I have supplies that have lasted through multiple upgrades of the platform, and my monitor did not need an upgrade or service in these 6 years. CPUs and GPUs go obsolete every generation - every six months, when nV and ATI introduce teir new stuff, you are saddled with old crap. In one year you will have to drop one resolution for every new game that you want to play at max. If you built a rig that could max out Crysis2, what are the max settings you can play at today?

Understand what gaming is, before commenting on a rig build - it's about detail, resolution and FPS, now and in the future. The money is only a means to reach an objective simply slicing it into equal shares is not the way to build a rig - you have to consider what the best possible experience is, that can be delivered for a budget. The job of a tech forum is to be able to ensure that the TS gets good bang for the busk - and I don't see how a CPU which sits idle 40% of the time (as it does in 99% of games) deserves the maximum money, or even how spending 40k on storage is a fantastic idea in a rig where storage is only used when loading levels.

Coming to the PSU, from the time you were called something else on this forum, we have spoken about how you hit the maximum efficiency and optimum operation of a PSU at loads between 50 and 65%. Will a 600-650 do today? Yes. Tomorrow? After adding a second or third card if a game launch requires that horsepower? You tell me, since you know gaming so well.

Unsubscribed.

OT :
Absolutely true , I learnt things the hard way myself. But trust me, like you I have told everyone I know the very same thing, but they would never understand. Wish I knew this when I went for a monitor. For PSU I did a bit of an overkill but I surely could have cut on many things to get a nice monitor and other things. You rightly said, in the end what matters is the "experience" we get from our systems.

Back