Budget 41-50k Gaming plus software rig , please help out with your advice .

Well first of all I would like to thank all who are taking their time to help out . I would also like to help Mr . Moksh ( @cyberwarfare , sorry sir to disturb you on your vacations ) and Mr . Chirag ( @chiragsthakur ) both for clearing a lot of doubts with patience and being kind to me .

1. Q: What is your budget?
    • 50K + 5k extended
  2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - AMD E350N APU
    • Motherboard - AMD E350N
    • GPU - ATI 6310D
    • RAM - GSKILL SNIPER 2 X 4GB
    • Monitor - Dell IN2030
    • SMPS - CIRCLE MINI
    • INTEX SPEAKERS

3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor - Dell IN2030
    • AMKETTE KEYBOARD
    • IBALL WIRELESS MOUSE
    • INTEX SPEAKERS
  4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Intel 3570K
    • RAM - 2 X 2 GB 1066MHZ
    • PSU - MODULAR PSU
  5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Yes, will upgrade the following within 6 months
    • GPU - HD 7870 OR GTX 670 OR GTX 660 OR 2 x HD 7850
    • MONITOR - IPS PANEL MONITOR - DELL PROBABLY
    • MOUSE , KEYBOARD AND SPEAKERS
  6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Mumbai
    • Open to online purchase
  7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • Yes
  8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming - Mostly Strategic games like Total War Series , Age of Empires and sports games like Fifa
    • Software Development , well I know I should be precise here but am still not sure , am just beginning . Mostly database and query processing . Java also at times .
  9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • No dislikes and I have no idea of after sales services at all .
  10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Strategy - Total War Series - Empire , Medieval , Shogun , Rome 2 ( yet to be released ) etc .
    • Sports - Fifa , Fifa manager or Football manager
    • Other( Sorry I dont know what category it is) - Battlefield 3 , Far Cry , GTA V ( when it releases )
  11. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 1920x1080
    2. Desktop - 1920x1080
  12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?
    • Yes
  13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 64 bit
    • Linux / Unix
    As you guys can see I already have a HTPC kind of a configuration at the moment . I will have to upgrade in phases so currently avoiding monitor and GPU as its not a necessity at the moment but I do have a 1080p TV which I do sometimes use to see movies , can be used for gaming also right ? . I currently have a Gskill sniper Ram ( 4 x 2 Gb 1600 MHz ) which I will use in this config and the 2x2gb ram I specified above will be put in HTPC . One special request is to suggest a very good PSU . My first config had a cheap PSU which took with it 3 motherboards , 2 Ram modules , etc with it . Now I know it was the PSU , hope I had realized it before but anyways dont want to suffer that again , cant afford to !! .
    I will keep the PSU and the cabinet for a long long time , so hope to buy quality ones but yeah I got a BUDGET ! . So please do give suggestions and feel free to oppose me anywhere I sound foolish .
    Once again thanks for your time , looking forward to your advice .
    Cheerio :) .

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's what you should get-
Intel i5 3570K-17k
ASUS P8Z77-M PRO-12.5k OR ASRock Z77 Extreme4-10.5k
CORSAIR HX750-9.2k OR SeaSonic X760-9.5k[Both are SLI/Crossfire Ready and Modular PSU]
Gskiil RipjawsX 4X2GB 1600mhz-3.5k[If you want to get it]
Corsair Carbide 400R-5k OR Nzxt Temptest Evo-5.5k
Noctua NH U12P SE2-3.9k[For Ocing]
Hope this helps.:)

Here's what you should get-

Thanks a lot Mr . Jakob . Would like to apologize in advance , I ask a lot of questions .
1. How is Asrock service in Mumbai ?
2. The Asus board you pointed out is a m-ATX right ? . A bigger standard size motherboard not possible in budget ? And how is Asus service now from Rashi , improved ? Heard bad things about them ! .
3. Is the Cabinet 400R still available ? . I cant find it anywhere !!
4. Where did you get the Noctua pricing from ? . Everywhere I see its 4.3+ k
5. Will my low voltage Gskill Sniper Ram cause any problem or hindrance in overclocking my CPU ? . It is a known fact that snipers are bad overclockers themselves but will they cause a problem for my cpu?

Thanks again and sorry for so many questions

Replies in bold
Thanks a lot Mr . Jakob . Would like to apologize in advance , I ask a lot of questions .
1. How is Asrock service in Mumbai ? Never bought, neither sold anything from Asrocks stable. But if I buy it from prime, personally I never care about warranty.
2. The Asus board you pointed out is a m-ATX right ? . A bigger standard size motherboard not possible in budget ? And how is Asus service now from Rashi , improved ? Heard bad things about them ! . Just got an ASUS mobo replaced under warranty in 7 days from rashi.
3. Is the Cabinet 400R still available ? . I cant find it anywhere !! Can be made available and probably the one you should go for without looking for any other cabby
4. Where did you get the Noctua pricing from ? . Everywhere I see its 4.3+ k I need to check its availability. Thermalright silver arrow can be sourced for a better price. You can consider it. Our Member @nick2012 has one in his order.
5. Will my low voltage Gskill Sniper Ram cause any problem or hindrance in overclocking my CPU ? . It is a known fact that snipers are bad overclockers themselves but will they cause a problem for my cpu? They wont cause any problem.

Don't hesitate to ask question-
1.I haven't had personal experience of Asrock A.S.S but it's ok from what i've heard,Other members will share their experience.
2.The M-ATX Mobo won't give you much problems but if you insist thenAsus P8Z77-V LX-11.5k OR Asus P8Z77-V-15k are other options.Asus service has been good in recent times though you Asus mobo built quality is very good you should go for it.
3.Here's a link to Corsair 400R-Corsair Carbide Series 400R Graphite grey and black Steel ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case,You can also call up Prime abgb they'll have it in store.
4.The pricing always gets little here and there,4.3k is ok snce many components have been overpriced due to $ rate.http://www.primeabgb.com/index.php?...tegory_id=188&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=54,You can get help from chiragsthakur to get components from prime.
5.The low voltage ram is not so good at overclocking still i don't think it'll cause problems in cpu ocing,Other members will comment on it if it's risky.
Hope this helps.

Replies in bold

Thanks for the reply :).

yes bro buy silver arrow..its a beast can compete head to head with the mighty nhd14
sometimes better than d14
Two Against One, Part 2: Thermalright Silver Arrow vs. Noctua NH-D14. Page 5 - X-bit labs

Thanks for the reply . The below video has scared me from the silver arrow !! . Too much of a hassle according to the host . And see the last part of the video , the silver arrow literally fails :scared14: .

Noctua NH-D14 vs Thermalright Silver Arrow - YouTube

Don't hesitate to ask question-
2.The M-ATX Mobo won't give you much problems but if you insist thenAsus P8Z77-V LX-11.5k OR Asus P8Z77-V-15k are other options.Asus service has been good in recent times though you Asus mobo built quality is very good you should go for it.
5.The low voltage ram is not so good at overclocking still i don't think it'll cause problems in cpu ocing,Other members will comment on it if it's risky.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for replying .
1. Well how is 400R vs CM 690II advanced ? . Which is better , looks wise CM wins but performance and usability wise , cooling ability or dust resistance ? .
Also would both board be able to handle the longer cards ? .
2. Anyone has any idea whether the low voltage ram would be a hindrance or not ? . @chiragsthakur , are you sure about this ? .
I dont know much overclocking but I read somewhere that the memory controller and the cpu frequency controller have some relation .
So if I overclock the CPU , wont it damage the low voltage ram or vice - versa ? .
3. I dont really like m-atx except the Gene V . I have used m-atx and I find them messy . Thats just a personal view .
4. The Asrock Z77 Extreme4 you mentioned has some quality problems , or it would have been one of the best buys , wish it were better .
Newegg.com - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
What is your opinion about that ? .

Replies in Bold
2. Anyone has any idea whether the low voltage ram would be a hindrance or not ? .are you sure about this ? . Yes I have supplied Sniper with 2500K to a friend and he is running his pc on 4.2-4.4ghz I guess. If you have a feeling of insecurity then get gskill ripjaws X for peace of mind
4. The Asrock Z77 Extreme4 you mentioned has some quality problems , or it would have been one of the best buys , wish it were better .
Newegg.com - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - You are saying this just by one negative reply on quality :) Please read the positive ones too, I am quite sure there are more pros than cons

Replies in Bold
Thanks for the reply .
1. If you have already checked it , then its fine , no reason to feel insecure . Infact even better , will run cooler as they are low volts .
2. No no , please see the feedback , many bad replies . Its like for those whom it has worked is sheer value for money for but for those whom it doesnt work is pain .

Thanks for the reply . The below video has scared me from the silver arrow !! . Too much of a hassle according to the host . And see the last part of the video , the silver arrow literally fails.

Thanks for replying .
1. Well how is 400R vs CM 690II advanced ? . Which is better , looks wise CM wins but performance and usability wise , cooling ability or dust resistance ? .
Also would both board be able to handle the longer cards ? .
2. Anyone has any idea whether the low voltage ram would be a hindrance or not ? . @chiragsthakur , are you sure about this ? .
I dont know much overclocking but I read somewhere that the memory controller and the cpu frequency controller have some relation .
So if I overclock the CPU , wont it damage the low voltage ram or vice - versa ? .
3. I dont really like m-atx except the Gene V . I have used m-atx and I find them messy . Thats just a personal view .
Newegg.com - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
What is your opinion about that ? .

Here are your answers Harry --

If you are really unsure between the Silver Arrow and the Noctua NH-D14, I say go for the former as --
  • performance is at par if not ahead of the Noctua D14;
  • it is cheaper and bags you two very good 140mm fans;
  • Once set-up I doubt you will be fiddling around too much with the system.

If you are still not confident of putting this monster inside your cabinet, go with the Noctua NH-U12P SE2. It might no longer be the best but it sure is a really good cooler in its own right.

• between the Cooler Master 690 design and Corsair Carbide 400R I suggest that you go for the latter, it it is not available try for the NZXT Tempest EVO [comes pre-installed with 6 fans] ~6000/-. In every way the Cooler Master design is showings its age vis-á-vis these new offerings, be it cooling, noise OR dust resistance.
  • No problems as long as you are not fiddling with your RAM settings you should not have any issues with them. in-fact ASUS motherboards carry the MemOK! feature that allows maximum RAM compatibility across the board.
  • You can go with the ASUS P8Z77-V ~15000/- OR ASUS P8Z77-V PRO ~16500/- incase you do not want to purchase the µATX offering P8-ZZ7-M PRO.
  • I do not recommend the ASRock board until the OP OR some other member broaches the topic. I use the same justification of poor pan-India support, low brand acknowledgement and more importantly build quality.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!!

lol dont be scared..
i dont know how he get those readings
btw u'll never going to reach to that voltage

Thanks for the reply .
I know I should not only sit with one person's opinion but I really appreciate his experience in overclocking and he is an expert in cooler reviews .
But still I have not opted out of the silver arrow . Still considering it , just that was a bit not happy with the findings in that review . How is your friend's experience with the cooler ? .

If you are really unsure between the Silver Arrow and the Noctua NH-D14, I say go for the former as --
  • performance is at par if not ahead of the Noctua D14;
  • it is cheaper and bags you two very good 140mm fans;
  • Once set-up I doubt you will be fiddling around too much with the system.

If you are still not confident of putting this monster inside your cabinet, go with the Noctua NH-U12P SE2. It might no longer be the best but it sure is a really good cooler in its own right.

• between the Cooler Master 690 design and Corsair Carbide 400R I suggest that you go for the latter, it it is not available try for the NZXT Tempest EVO [comes pre-installed with 6 fans] ~6000/-. In every way the Cooler Master design is showings its age vis-á-vis these new offerings, be it cooling, noise OR dust resistance.
  • No problems as long as you are not fiddling with your RAM settings you should not have any issues with them. in-fact ASUS motherboards carry the MemOK! feature that allows maximum RAM compatibility across the board.
  • You can go with the ASUS P8Z77-V ~15000/- OR ASUS P8Z77-V PRO ~16500/- incase you do not want to purchase the µATX offering P8-ZZ7-M PRO.
  • I do not recommend the ASRock board until the OP OR some other member broaches the topic. I use the same justification of poor pan-India support, low brand acknowledgement and more importantly build quality.

Thanks for the reply Mr . Alpha17 .
1. Yes I have not totally rejected the silver arrow . Do you have any personal experience with this cooler , If yes then please brief your experience , would really help clear the air .
2. Am planning to overclock at around 4.5 GHz , will the Noctua U12P be able to handle it ? .
3. Brand acknowledgement aint a problem but the build quality is in question for me specially the Extreme4 version . Oddly the Pro4 which is cheaper seems to be better .
But still am not sure of their overclocking support . Also they say gold caps but I cant interpret whether they are solid or liquid caps , sorry am a noob ! .

Guess I bored everyone by asking too many questions :1ign034: but am here with another one :p .
After reading a lot on TE itself about coolers , I came across the word " flaking " and I am in Mumbai , was reading some thread in the OC sub forum but cant seem to find it again ( oh man , my brain has stopped working ! ) . Would it be a problem ? .
And sorry for the OT .

Thanks for the reply Mr . Alpha17.
1. Yes I have not totally rejected the silver arrow . Do you have any personal experience with this cooler , If yes then please brief your experience , would really help clear the air .
2. Am planning to overclock at around 4.5 GHz , will the Noctua U12P be able to handle it ? .
3. Brand acknowledgement aint a problem but the build quality is in question for me specially the Extreme4 version . Oddly the Pro4 which is cheaper seems to be better .
But still am not sure of their overclocking support . Also they say gold caps but I cant interpret whether they are solid or liquid caps , sorry am a noob ! .

Hello Harry, one small request do not call me Sire / Sir / Mr. it makes me feel kinda' old and I am not worthy of this respect.

And here are your answers --
  • no I recently purchased the Noctua NH-U12P SE2 and setting it inside a cabinet was hard, they help you a lot by providing a proper screwdriver with cut-outs on the heat-sink that allow the same to access the screws to be tightened. I was very happy with their package and the pains they had taken, especially the beautiful installation manual, also experienced their customer service -- requested for a adapter mounting kit, they shipped it free of charge they just require you to furnish proof of purchase.
  • Yes the Noctua should be able to handle it, though it will be at the end of its line. Do not expect it to work wonders after this and your processor will easily be touching ~65°+ C on load / benchmark runs.
  • Do not know, never used an ASRock motherboard and never seen any in action. I am using an ASUS EVO class motherboard and I am very satisfied with its build-quality and performance.
  • That gold-caps thing is just marketing drivel, they are just your standard all-metal-construct capacitors with a faux gold paint on them. GIGABYTE and MSi market the same as all Japanese capacitors. I think for really good capacitors and the best component used in a motherboard the crown should go to ASUS SABERTOOTH series.

Hope this answers your queries to your satisfaction, Cheerio!!

After reading a lot on TE itself about coolers , I came across the word " flaking " and I am in Mumbai , was reading some thread in the OC sub forum but cant seem to find it again.

Would it be a problem ?

'Flaking' is an issue that affects all metal-objects / constructs. If you had noticed as a child that the monkey-bars, jungle-gyms and iron fences / boundaries in the public areas used to have portions where the paint had peeled of exposing the iron to moisture and air [RUST alert] the metal did not rot away in a specific pattern, it used to flake of in thin individual layers.

Something like this -- rustfix0.jpg

You will notice this a lot in areas that are close to the coast [having high moisture and salt content in the air = not good for metal] and also dilapidated and ill-maintained areas in cities / towns.

Generally this should not be an issue with such expensive coolers as they are nickel coated whilst construction and incorporate other elaborate processes as chrome-painting but due to the high temperatures they work under even this tends to fail on rare occasions and if it does I think it becomes a valid stand-point for RMA-ing the same.

Noctua takes the cake here as the chrome even inaccessible areas like the tiny-gaps between the cooler heat-pipes and individual fins, this explains why they are so expensive.

XtreamGuy
Thanks a lot for taking out time for the detailed reply sir , so what components do you suggest ? .
I have no idea of antec products at all .
@ALPHA17
Thanks a lot for the reply , hope am not bothering you with too many questions , If yes please tell me so, I ll try to be as compact as I can .
1. Just using Alpha17 to address you sounds disrespectful .
2. Did they not give the mounting kit with the cooler itself ? .
3. Now I get properly about flaking , here is the thread I was talking about .
http://www.techenclave.com/overclocking-n-modding/air-cooler-i7-85961/ , the gentleman's noctua failed on him .
Some hint from Mr . Gannu in your own thread ,
http://www.techenclave.com/show-off/der-sterreichische-belegte-butterbrot-128984/ .
Now this flaking has happened to my bike's engine block which ate is but very slowly . So it scares me that if it will happen to the cooler too .
4. So other than Asus , I guess no other manufacturer can really be trusted with the build quality I guess . If there are please suggest . It will increase my options .
5. How is H60 ? 4.5 ghz possible with good temps ? .

Note : Hope anyone here is not having the feeling that this guy is questioning our suggestions a lot and he already has a config in mind and would go with it anyway , just wasting our time here .
Trust me its not the case , only after your suggestions am searching the product on TE and outside for reviews . Otherwise I am a noob and I dont even know the variety of products that exist except some certain known brand .

Again , Thanks for your replies and thanks for your time .
Cheerio :)

@ALPHA17
2. Did they not give the mounting kit with the cooler itself ? .
3. Now I get properly about flaking , here is the thread I was talking about .
http://www.techenclave.com/overclocking-n-modding/air-cooler-i7-85961/ , the gentleman's noctua failed on him .
Some hint from Mr . Gannu in your own thread ,
http://www.techenclave.com/show-off/der-sterreichische-belegte-butterbrot-128984/ .
Now this flaking has happened to my bike's engine block which ate is but very slowly . So it scares me that if it will happen to the cooler too .
4. So other than Asus , I guess no other manufacturer can really be trusted with the build quality I guess . If there are please suggest . It will increase my options .
5. How is H60 ? 4.5 ghz possible with good temps ? .

Note : Hope anyone here is not having the feeling that this guy is questioning our suggestions a lot and he already has a config in mind and would go with it anyway , just wasting our time here .
Trust me its not the case , only after your suggestions am searching the product on TE and outside for reviews . Otherwise I am a noob and I dont even know the variety of products that exist except some certain known brand .

Again , Thanks for your replies and thanks for your time .
Cheerio :)

• they bundle two pairs of mounting kits [one for Intel and another for AMD]. In my case I wanted to change the orientation of my cooler on an AM3 socket, this resulted in me requesting them to send an adapter mounting RIG that could enable me to do so. Same is not the case with Intel socket, in that you can orient the cooler any-which direction you need. Also Noctua offers an adapter RIG for any new socket release, they have tried to keep maximum compatibility, the NH-U12P can be mounted on any Intel processor from LGA 775 onwards to --> LGA 2011 and for AMD it is from the Socket 940 era till current AM3+ standards. If you do not have the adapter from purchase furnish your proof of purchase and they will send you one within two weeks.
  • Yes I remember Gannu Sire mentioning it, seems it is a big case in places like Bombay. Best you go for a closed-loop-water cooling solution
  • No GIGABYTE also makes good components but they haven't really brought any fascinating motherboards after their stellar X58 line-up.
  • Go for the more powerful H80 OR SVG Tech HOC 20 ~4500/-.

Thanks a lot for taking out time for the detailed reply sir , so what components do you suggest ? .
I have no idea of antec products at all .

Antec is not really established in the Indian market, although I have noted sporadic presence of their SMPS in Bangalore do not know about their availability and service network in the long term.

Also all the components we suggested you especially the SMPS and cabinet are really good products we are not here to promote some brand OR shop so rest assured they have all these features, offer reliability and are commonly available.

P.S. -- we do not mind you asking questions, stick 'em up without fear. Oh!! another thing you can call me Abhay if you find that fine.
A lot of members can vouch for the components we have suggested you as well.

Also all the components we suggested you especially the SMPS and cabinet are really good products we are not here to promote some brand OR shop so rest assured they have all these features, offer reliability and are commonly available.

I am very sorry but I think i portrayed some wrong message here , I never meant even close to something like that . I totally trust everyone here and respect your experience . There is no questioning or doubting here . Sorry again .

I am very sorry but I think i portrayed some wrong message here , I never meant even close to something like that . I totally trust everyone here and respect your experience . There is no questioning or doubting here . Sorry again .

No I am not deriding you Harry. It is just that Xtream Guy did not raise anything new OR special, I feel he just copy-pasted a load of text. That is all. Cheerio!!

@ALPHA17(Abhay , since you insisted :)) , Mr . @Jakob , Mr . @chiragsthakur .
Which components last for a long time in a PC build ? .
I was considering a very good cabinet before but then realized my decent steel cabinet last time lost its strength ( loose fittings etc ) . Is it the case everytime , I mean how long can we or should we expect some components to last ? .
A processor and GPU , specially GPU cant last that long , will outdate in some 3-5 years . What about cabinet and PSU .
Is it that when I upgrade again , this components can be used or they will age up ? .
Suppose I buy a very good PSU , it will still age with time right ? . So suppose instead of buying something like HX 750 , it would make sense to buy a GS 800 , right ? .
As GS800 is a good PSU also , just that it is not modular , so the only factor being that , except that both will age and both will lose some efficiency over time .
Similar question for a cabinet , like suppose buying something like NZXT gamma over 400R ? .
Sorry I dont know much about how things are because never bought high end things before .
Similar question for Air cooler and other components that you can imagine this is applicable to .

Thanks for your time :) .

Back