Budget 41-50k Gaming rig Budget 45 to 46k without GPU

I will get 3550 what say guys;) ?
I think Z77 is not required for non K model so suggest me a good h77 board for the 3550

Well if you can live with a locked processor then nothing comes close to its performance and it is efficient too.

For a H77 chipset based motherboard, look at the following options --
ASUS P8H77-M PRO ~9500/-
ASUS P8H77-V ~10500/-
Intel DH77KC ~7000/- [tentative, try to get an accurate quotation for this motherboard]

Hope this helps, Cheerio!!

errrrr.... methink's there's a printer's devil [Not Z77 but H77 Asus board's that you intended to suggest]
Regarding RAM - You can look at G.Skill "Ares" Series - the heat-spreader is just 2mm taller than the height of the ram modules and will in no way cause any problems for any CPU-Cooler (including the D14). - so you can replace/re-order the sequence without ever extracting the cooler.

Lastly, even if you do not wish to OC - the 3570K is a lot better than the non-K version.

Thanks I corrected that Terrence.

The G.Skill SNIPER are available on TE for reasonable rates in this deal thread.

Availability is a bugbear and lets not talk about the pricing of it.

Well if you can live with a locked processor then nothing comes close to its performance and it is efficient too.

For a H77 chipset based motherboard, look at the following options --
ASUS P8Z77-M PRO ~9500/-
ASUS P8Z77-V ~10500/-

Intel DH77KC ~7000/- [tentative, try to get an accurate quotation for this motherboard]

errrrr.... methink's there's a printer's devil [Not Z77 but H77 Asus board's that you intended to suggest]
Asus P8H77-M PRO ~ 9800/-
Asus P8H77-V ~ 9799/-
- prices at Prime

Regarding RAM - You can look at G.Skill "Ares" Series - the heat-spreader is just 2mm taller than the height of the ram modules and will in no way cause any problems for any CPU-Cooler (including the D14) - so you can replace/re-order the sequence without ever extracting the cooler.
Note: hardwire.in & prime are beginning to stock this series of RAM & slowly it's catching up globally too - Gone are the days when RAM's were decorated by monstrous heat-spreaders.

Lastly, even if you do not wish to OC - the 3570K is a lot better than the non-K version.

Cheers

Thanks Alpha & terence for the suggestion :)
I just called Mr Dileep & he said 3570k will be available till Sat fingers crossed ;)
Corsair HX 650 is available @6.7k
Guys suggest me a good webcam & some good stores in Nehru Place where i can get some good competitive prices :)

Guys suggest me a good webcam & some good stores in Nehru Place where i can get some good competitive prices :)

You can check out these cameras --
Microsoft
LOGITECH

Well the ones I know about are --
  • SMC International
  • Computer Empire
  • Cost-to-Cost [although speculations are rife that they sell fake stuff]

Let other more seasoned Delhi members pitch-in. Hope this helps, happy RIG building. Cheerio!!

@asingh @atiamd

Last edited by a moderator:
There is nothing like a 'best heat-spreader', because it is a passive cooling device the performance is dependent on the ambient temperatures inside your cabinet. There a few heat-spreaders that have a better build quality.

Apart from this I would suggest that you go for the Corsair XMS3 OR G.Skill RIPJAWS; buy whichever is cheaper as both are equally good. Ideally the retailer should replace a faulty RAM module(s), that said Corsair has definitely got a better support infrastructure in India. For G.Skill you will need to mail to Taiwan [for direct RMA support].

I am using the older G.Skill RIPJAWS and have used it with Cooler Master Hyper 212+ as well as currently with a Noctua NH-U12P SE2 and it has not obstructed so far [I have changed the level of the PUSH fan on my Noctua though].

The Corsair Dominator, Vengeance series heat-spreaders are rather expansive and they can be an issue. Tried fitting one with a Cooler Master V6 GT and the whole set-up was really tight. To replace any RAM module, you needed to extract the cooler first.

on account timing, does GSkill Ripjaws are better compared to Corsair Vengence or XMS3 (9-9-9-24) ???

on account timing, does GSkill Ripjaws are better compared to Corsair Vengence or XMS3 (9-9-9-24) ???

I am not big into over-clocking but most people on the forum concur that the performance of the Corsair Vengeance is matched by the G.Skill RIPJAWS series RAM; the XMS3 plays second fiddle to the aforementioned because it is alleged it uses RAM chips of lower quality.

On stock settings you should not notice a grave difference in performance. I would recommend the G.Skill RIPJAWS series OR SNIPER series RAM modules if you wish to run @stock OR do incremental over-clocks because their lower profile heat-sinks will be more accommodating of large third party heat-sinks.

If you want to over-clock and still have low height heat-spreaders check out the G.Skill Ares series.

Let @mav2000 and @cyberwarfare shed some light on the same.

Hope this answers your queries, Cheerio!!

P.S. -- Also a lot is dependent on which platform you are using and its memory controller.

Intel Sandy-Bridge officially supports RAM upto only 1333MHz; but with a light over-volt most use 1600MHs modules after which their is hardly any increment in real-time performance vis-á-vis bandwidth gained.

AMD Llano APU's onboard 'Redwood' IGP performance [frame rates] scaled with the frequency of the RAM modules used and the bandwidth on offer [dual channel].

I am not big into over-clocking but most people on the forum concur that the performance of the Corsair Vengeance is matched by the G.Skill RIPJAWS series RAM; the XMS3 plays second fiddle to the aforementioned because it is alleged it uses RAM chips of lower quality.

On stock settings you should not notice a grave difference in performance. I would recommend the G.Skill RIPJAWS series OR SNIPER series RAM modules if you wish to run @stock OR do incremental over-clocks because their lower profile heat-sinks will be more accommodating of large third party heat-sinks.

If you want to over-clock and still have low height heat-spreaders check out the G.Skill Ares series.

Let mav2000 and cyberwarfare shed some light on the same.

Hope this answers your queries, Cheerio!!

Since all 3 allow to run beyond 1333MHz frequency and can be over-clocked, so will sure be overclocking !!! can voltage be also tweaked ?

thanks for helping on dual channel theory... :1ign26:
getting single 8GB instead of 2x4GB RAMs was to save one more slot for future. upgrades..
if there was marginal difference between 1x8GB and 2x4GB, my plan was to go for 1x8GB now and once prices fall further get another same 8GB !!! anyways... can also go for 2x4GB now and 2x8GB later... :sign32:

Thanks for linking Alpha.

on IB platform, look for the following:

1. Dual Channel - basically two matched sticks of ram
2. 8GB of ram, these days certin games seem to like more than 4 GB and with ram prices so low, you cant go wrong.
3. Speed and latency f the ram will make very minimal difference except in benchmarks. So if ou get a decent kit of 8GB ram, say 8GB 1600 CL 9 I wold rather prefer that compared to say 4 GB of 2000 Mhz CL 8.

That said, look for Gskill ram as they seem to have the best compatibility with a wide range of mobos.

BTW, dont forget to use a 64bit OS or the 8GB is a waste. Cheers and hope this helps.

Since all 3 allow to run beyond 1333MHz frequency and can be over-clocked, so will sure be overclocking !!! can voltage be also tweaked?

8GB !!! anyways... can also go for 2x4GB now and 2x8GB later.

Yes individual voltages can be tweaked as well, it is called over-volting.

No, actually out of the G.Skill RIPJAWS series, Ares and SNIPER --
  • Ares is the newest and I am completely unaware of its performance;
  • RIPJAWS series is the most understated but just as stable, have been using them for close to 2.5 years;
  • SNIPER comes in two flavours -- 1600MHz @1.25v and 1600MHz @1.5v, the latter is a better over-clocker whilst the former is best run at stock and here is a review by a fellow member.

Out of the Corsair offerings it is better if you go for the Vengeance series over the XMS3, although the tall heat-spreaders will play truant with third party heat-sinks for your CPU.

Really it is your choice whichever RAM module [4GB OR 8GB] you want to buy [also highly dependent on budget]. I doubt the price of a single high density 8GB module will depreciate any further than it already has. Check out this deal thread.

thanks for linking alpha :)

this is my take on the ram kits
1)ripjaws are better overclockers than ares.
2)snipers are quite bad clockers.
3)vengence and xms3 series also clock badly.
4)all the above memory will run great at stock clocks but above that mileage will vary.
5)if you do not plan on overclocking them and tightening the timings, they are all the same (given same clocks and latency).

also after going through your thread, i would suggest getting the following
1)a 2500k over a 3570k (will explain why sooner)
2)a z77 over a h77 (again explanation is below)

the reason for my suggestion is as follows
1)IVB is a hot hot chip. its much harder to hit 4.5ghz on it compared to SB. also with the current revision, how much a chip can be oc'd is like a lottery. some can do 5ghz easy while some cant even cross 4.2.
2)z77 overall is a much better platform over h77. if your budget for a board is 10k, look no further than the asrock extreme4 ~10.5k. it matches the more expensive boards at a cheaper price point.
3)with the money saved, you can get a decent cooler like the h80 or d14 and clock the chip higher.

overall, the above package will give you better VFM in the long run compared to the IVB setup. @ALPHA17 , what are your thoughts on this ??

cheers and kind regards
moksh

the reason for my suggestion is as follows
1)IVB is a hot hot chip. its much harder to hit 4.5ghz on it compared to SB. also with the current revision, how much a chip can be oc'd is like a lottery. some can do 5ghz easy while some cant even cross 4.2.
2)z77 overall is a much better platform over h77. if your budget for a board is 10k, look no further than the asrock extreme4 ~10.5k. it matches the more expensive boards at a cheaper price point.
3)with the money saved, you can get a decent cooler like the h80 or d14 and clock the chip higher.

overall, the above package will give you better VFM in the long run compared to the IVB setup. @ALPHA17 , what are your thoughts on this ??

My thoughts on the above --
  • I have never used the current crop of Intel processors [last contact was assembling a Core i5 2400 system], so this is very hypocritical advice [based on excessive google-ing];
  • If OP can live with an incremental over-clock to say 4.5 GHz, the added power frugality and native support for USB 3.0 and PCIe 3.0 will actually be of greater value, if he wants to pursue 5.0GHz then I think sticking to Sandy-Bridge is the only option;
  • OP's prioritization of what he wants and needs;
  • I think without breaking the bank and going with a Core i5 3570k cooled by a Hyper 212 EVO will be fine in OP's case [assuming the Core i5 3570k is ~15000/-], instead of investing in mammoths like Noctua NH-D14 OR Corsair H80 / SVG Tech HOC 40 to cool a hotter chip.
  • Also it is a full new build, I would go for the Ivy-Bridge + Panther-Point combo over Sandy-Bridge plus the new chipset.

A lot depends on OP and his choices, lets here from you @ampdr1; what do you want?

That is all I have to say, Cheerio!!

My thoughts on the above --
  • I have never used the current crop of Intel processors [last contact was assembling a Core i5 2400 system], so this is very hypocritical advice [based on excessive google-ing];
  • If OP can live with an incremental over-clock to say 4.5 GHz, the added power frugality and native support for USB 3.0 and PCIe 3.0 will actually be of greater value, if he wants to pursue 5.0GHz then I think sticking to Sandy-Bridge is the only option;
  • OP's prioritization of what he wants and needs;
  • I think without breaking the bank and going with a Core i5 3570k cooled by a Hyper 212 EVO will be fine in OP's case [assuming the Core i5 3570k is ~15000/-], instead of investing in mammoths like Noctua NH-D14 OR Corsair H80 / SVG Tech HOC 40 to cool a hotter chip.
  • Also it is a full new build, I would go for the Ivy-Bridge + Panther-Point combo over Sandy-Bridge plus the new chipset.

A lot depends on OP and his choices, lets here from you ampdr1; what do you want?

That is all I have to say, Cheerio!!

one of many reasons for opting 3570k over 2500k is HD4000 graphics on-board (sorry, on-chip!!!)
if price difference between them is 3-5k and OP is building complete new rig, it would be better to go for new generation processor... :cool:
take a look at this comparison i "googled"
and if one wants to use 2500k, using z77 board will not worth it... (old Gen Processor+Next Gen Motherboard) :confused1:

for CPU cooler i am not sure, it will depend on OP's budget and choice (whether to go for easy installation like H Series or a bit hard one like EVO) also warranty for both r different... EVO has 1 year and H series has 5 year

between Asrock Extreme4 Series and Asus P8Z77V, i think Asus P8Z77 is better on features and AsRock is better on price...

what do u say, ALPHA17 ???

:sign32:

and if one wants to use 2500k, using z77 board will not worth it... (old Gen Processor+Next Gen Motherboard)

between Asrock Extreme4 Series and Asus P8Z77V, i think Asus P8Z77 is better on features and AsRock is better on price.

Actual ampdr1 things are not so simple, PRO's of the setup [Core i5 2500k OR Core i7 2600k + Z77] --
  • save on the cost of buying a new processor;
  • try to push the processor to higher stable over-clock;
  • Sandy-Bridge chips are proven over-clockers as well as cheaper to acquire in the current market situation.

CON's of the same setup --
  • a lot of features natively supported by Panther-Point [Z77 / H77] chipsets like PCIe 3.0 will remain dormant until an Ivy-Bridge chip is placed in the socket;
  • if you are buying a brand new RIG it is much more worth buying a new product rather than an old one [just my way of looking at the topic];
  • Sandy-Bridge is just not as efficient as Ivy-Bridge [power gating profiles are divisive on both the chip and the chipset].

So in the end I suggest going for a complete Ivy-Bridge setup OR a complete Sandy-Bridge system. If you are confident that you will upgrade around the time Intel uncovers Haswell [in Q1 2013] you can do a mix-match.

Between ASRock again a lot of variables come into play --

• [*} ASRock Z77 offerings are better over-clockers and are cheaper than other offerings;
  • ASUS is a more visible brand in India, this can affect the service for the same;
  • ASUS carries the edge in features and few other subjects;
  • on stock settings both motherboards are equally good, it is what you want to do later.

OMG what a superb discussion :yahoo:
I am also trying to get a nice Ivy-Bridge rig but the availability is the main issue @ALPHA17 I too heard from sorceror a long time ago that cost 2 cost sells fake stuff
Thanks for webcam links but which is the best from that ?

Actual ampdr1 .....

tht is exacxtly wht i meant, if one opts for sandy bridge CPU, then no need to go for z77 board,
else
go for ivy bridge + z77 mobo

Also, Asrock mobo like extreme 4 lacks on features like:
3-way Crossfire
on board wifi
Intel NIC
smart digi power control
presence in India as suggested by ALPHA17

but there is silver lining to Asrock as well,
1 x eSATA3 Connector
ASRock Internet Flash
ASRock Dehumidifier Function
it is Microsoft® Windows® 7 / 7 64-bit / Vista™ / Vista™ 64-bit / XP / XP 64-bit compliant whereas Asus does not support vista !!!
low price
Premium Gold Capacitor design (100% Japan-made high-quality Conductive Polymer Capacitors) wow!!!

so if availability, after sales support, few missing features are ok, then it seems good one to have...

CON's of the same setup --
  • a lot of features natively supported by Panther-Point [Z77 / H77] chipsets like USB 3.0 and PCIe 3.0 will remain dormant until an Ivy-Bridge chip is placed in the socket;
  • if you are buying a brand new RIG it is much more worth buying a new product rather than an old one [just my way of looking at the topic];
  • Sandy-Bridge is just not as efficient as Ivy-Bridge.

your first point is incorrect. usb3 will work even if no IVB chip is present, as will most other features. however PCIE 3 wont work without a IVB chip :)

your first point is incorrect. usb3 will work even if no IVB chip is present, as will most other features. however PCIE 3 wont work without a IVB chip :)

Thanks for the heads up, Moksh. As I said, have no experience with an Ivy setup a lot of my information may / may-not be accurate.

With Z77 and H77 Intel has added a controller onto the chipset, rather than be dependent on NEC OR other 3rd party controllers. This saves valuable silicon real-estate + better speeds on these ports [theoretically].

Go for ivy bridge + z77 mobo

Also, Asrock mobo like extreme 4 lacks on features like:
3-way Crossfire
on board wifi
Intel NIC
smart digi power control

presence in India as suggested by ALPHA17

but there is silver lining to Asrock as well,
1 x eSATA3 Connector
ASRock Internet Flash
ASRock Dehumidifier Function
it is Microsoft® Windows® 7 / 7 64-bit / Vista™ / Vista™ 64-bit / XP / XP 64-bit compliant whereas Asus does not support vista !!!
low price
Premium Gold Capacitor design (100% Japan-made high-quality Conductive Polymer Capacitors)

so if availability, after sales support, few missing features are ok, then it seems good one to have.

Well no one needs a 3-way CrossFire solution; I mean most of us are fine with a single graphics card.

Most of the features that you have mentioned for both the motherboards are company exclusivity spins; the chip at the heart of things is the same so really I see no reason just to buy a motherboard with a onboard Wi-Fi adapter [until I absolutely need it].

The Dehumidifier looks interesting, a guy living in a humid environment should get this board and see if it effective.

Windows Vista is a dead platform, its adaptation was low the release of Windows 7 absolved Microsoft for calling in an abomination with it. Windows 8 will only exacerbate the situation.

Availability [brand presence] and after sales are key pointers I would rather have in mind rather than just features [OR lack of it] whilst purchasing a motherboard that will set me back with ~10000/-.

Thanks for webcam links but which is the best from that?

The best one is --
  • One that has the best mix of features plus a palatable price [you did not give your budget];
  • Jack of all trades-- LOGITECH webcams because they are cheaper in general but have ~80% of features that Microsoft is offering;
  • If HD video chat / Skype is necessary applications of the above, I would suggest Microsoft will be better. Also added bonus will be that it will be compatible with most Microsoft OS [current, legacy and upcoming].

For exact models I refer to --
LOGITECH C270h
Microsoft Lifecam HD 3000
Microsoft Lifecam HD6000

Well no one needs a 3-way CrossFire solution; I mean most of us are fine with a single graphics card. ......

well, i was comparing 2 boards and just pointed out tht 3-way feature, thts it!!! :p
even i intend to buy single GPU card at first with room for next , in case of future demands... after looking at price, GPU is most expensive to buy!!!
i wonder if i go for quad-gpu, as i already will be having igpu+discrete gpu, that is 2 gpu (3 gpu if discrete one is dual gpu) already!!!
on-board wi-fi may be helpful, for users having pc+laptop...
what about Intel NIC?

Back