Budget 31-40k Gaming Rig for 35K .. comments invited

htnakirs

Disciple
Don't need peripherals, DVD etc. Here is my list (prices from theitdepot.com)

Intel i3 4150 : 8000
Asus H81M-V3 : 4600 (need usb3 and onboard gfx)
4GB DDR3 (X2) : 4400
Asus GTX 750TI OC : 11750
Corsair VS Series 450W SMPS : 2400 (http://powersupplycalculator.net/ puts requirement at 250W)
1TB Seagate : 3700
Cabinet : 2000 ( or whatever is left)

Any better ideas or suggestions let me know.

^ Do not recommend the Corsair VS series, Seasonic S12II 430W or better at the minimum.

Also for the motherboard please go for a decent B85 based board. The GIGABYTE B85M-D3H or MSi H97M-G43.

Also, how long do you want this PC to last you?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Any specific issues dogging the VS series? The Seasonic costs twice that.
The mobo upgrade also will overrun the already stretched budget.
Unless there is a viable tradeoff that you can suggest in the gfx card department....

3 years life would be good enough.

The VS series will crash and burn sooner or later. It uses some very cheap parts inside and is absolutely not recommended. Buy a seasonic eco series if the s12 is too expensive for you.

I'd not buy an H81 board - no PCI-E 3.0, no intel RST, only two usb3 ports and two ram slots limiting expandability. For a few hundred more, you'll get a B85 chipset board which is far superior.

Intel Core i3 4150 : 8000,
Gigabyte B85M-D3H : 5500,
Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1600Mhz : 3800,
Asus GTX 750TI 2GB : 10000,
Antec VP450P : 2500,
WD Caviar Blue 1TB : 4000,
Zebronics SPY II Cabinet : 1000.
TOTAL : 34,800.

as chaos pointed out - it's a matter of quality. seasonic is one company that has never been known to skimp or cut corners with their psu's and it's definitely worth the money as the psu doesn't need to changed every time you upgrade.

You can get a non-oc version of the 750ti to shave about 1000 bucks off. also the 950 will be coming out soon so the 750's price might drop.
you can opt for 4gb ram now and get another stick later.
also, for motherboard i would vote for asus over gigabyte as the latter have resorted to cheap corner-cutting on their non-premium boards.

Thanks for the inputs. I know there wasn't too much room to manouever.

Rayvonne:
No specific game, the FPS genre in general. I would like to play any game at 1366 X 768 smoothly without sacrificing too much on effects.

Crapmypants :
Besides price,Seasonic is too exotic a brand. Online purchase jeopardises the warranty process. Antec is a better option in this regard.
Asus gets my vote too. Giga and MSI have troubled me in the past, unlike Asus.
As suggested, I will go for the non OC gfx card. Reducing RAM would not be wise. Scrimping or even totally avoiding the cabinet seems a better option.

bssunilreddy
Thanks for the Antec.

Chaos, ALPHA17
Thanks for leading me away from Corsair. Didn't expect such issues in such a brand.
Will drop the H81 in favour of the B85, though none of the improvements seem quite deal breaking. But, probably if I do go for beefier parts in the future, the platform will be able to keep up.

Final list :
Intel Core i3 4150 : 8000,
Asus B85M-K : 5600,
4 GB X2: 4400,
Asus GTX 750 2GB : 10000 (or delay and get the TI OC)
Antec VP450P : 2400,
Seagate 1TB : 3700,
Zebronics SPY II Cabinet : 1000 (delay or avoid)
TOTAL : 35,100.

Besides price,Seasonic is too exotic a brand. Online purchase jeopardises the warranty process.

I would like to differ from this view. Though you purchase Seasonic online, their warranty does not have hassles like other brands who act so. Also at most places, like Amazon, eBay, etc seller selling them is OverclockersZone (Tirupati Enterprise) - official distributor of Seasonic in India.

Just my couple of cents.

Back