Budget 41-50k Gaming Rig Upgrade

Black_Hawk

Skilled
Hi folks,

I'm planning to change my gaming PC's processor, cooler, motherboard and memory from my i5-2500k and Gigabyte P67A-UD3R- B3 based setup which I have using for a number of years now. I have shortlisted these components:

Processor: Ryzen 1600X
Cooler: Cooler Master 212 Turbo (with 2 X CM MasterFan Pro 120 Air Pressure Fans in Push-Pull)
Motherboard: Asus B350-F ROG STRIX GAMING
Memory: Undecided for the moment. Will get the processor and motherboard first and then decide on these. Need about 16GB, should suffice.

Existing components carried forward from current PC will be:
GPU: Asus ROG STRIX RX 480 (8GB)
PSU: Seasonic X750 Gold
Audio Card: Asus Xonar DX
SSD's & HDD's:
1 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
1 X 120GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
1 X 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD
1 X 1TB WD Blue HDD
(Since all my storage is done on my 2 separate NAS units at home I don't necessarily end up storing much on this PC at all).
Case: Corsair 780T Full Tower

Just thought of running this by here before I go through with the purchases. Do share your thoughts.

Regards,
Black_Hawk

If i were you, i would have selected R5 1600 instead of 1600X.

1600 can reach the same frequency level as 1600x once overclocked. Plus most Ryzen CPUs hit plateau at 3.9 - 4.0GHz, it doesnt matter whether its x-rated or non x-rated. Thats the threshold for most Ryzen CPUs.

If you are gonna run the processor at stock frequency then it makes sense to go with 1600X coz it is clocked higher than 1600. If you are gonna overclock then i dont think it makes sense to go with 1600X coz both the processors hit the wall at 3.9 - 4.00GHz.

One more thing, 1600 comes with decent HSF, so you can save the money that you would have to spend on an after market cooler if you would go with 1600X. You can spend money saved on RAMs or other things :).

The motherboard that you have selected is probably the best B350 motherboard and its my favourite. :)

I wish it was priced around 8.5 to 9k in India coz at 10k it enters into the territory of Z170/Z270 motherboards but it is not as feature rich as Z170/Z270 motherboards.

Just my 2cents :).

If i were you, i would have selected R5 1600 instead of 1600X.

1600 can reach the same frequency level as 1600x once overclocked. Plus most Ryzen CPUs hit plateau at 3.9 - 4.0GHz, it doesnt matter whether its x-rated or non x-rated. Thats the threshold for most Ryzen CPUs.

If you are gonna run the processor at stock frequency then it makes sense to go with 1600X coz it is clocked higher than 1600. If you are gonna overclock then i dont think it makes sense to go with 1600X coz both the processors hit the wall at 3.9 - 4.00GHz.

One more thing, 1600 comes with decent HSF, so you can save the money that you would have to spend on an after market cooler if you would go with 1600X. You can spend money saved on RAMs or other things :).

The motherboard that you have selected is probably the best B350 motherboard and its my favourite. :)

I wish it was priced around 8.5 to 9k in India coz at 10k it enters into the territory of Z170/Z270 motherboards but it is not as feature rich as Z170/Z270 motherboards.

Just my 2cents :).

I agree with Hades. i myself built a 1600 based system a month ago. Very happy with it overall.

As for the motherboard, i got the B350 Mortar from MSI, since i wanted an matx board with 2x16 pcie slots (one for the GPU and one for an add on card.

I would also pitch in and say that you should instead go for an R5 1600. However, since you look like someone who knows what they are doing, the choice really depends on your needs. Ryzen CPUs just dont go above 4 - 4.2 GHz on the best coolers with the maximum voltage. Most of them end up at about 3.8.

I have just built a R5 1600 system for myself and its awesome performance wise. And, since I have that same motherboard I can vouch for it that its awesome. I got it for 10.5K at SP Road, Blore. Plus, since you already have a strix GFX card, you will be able to enjoy the Aura sync features... hehe

EDIT: As for RAM, I highly recommend the Gskill trident Z RGB 3000 Mhz.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the input guys... @Hades. @cyberwarfare and @atiamd. Really appreciate the information you guys provided. Every little bit matters in the end in making a decision. I did also happen to have a rather long winded discussion out there on the AT forums as well regarding this. All adds up.

I think I'm going with the Ryzen 1600X and the Asus B350-F ROG STRIX GAMING combination in the end. I don't exactly see myself spending time OC'ing the processor since when I am home I would much rather immerse myself into gaming over a glass of cold tea rather than tinkering with overclocking and pondering over it. I know it might sound ridiculously lazy to someone else but that's just me and careening through a heavy work schedule through the day does have it's bearing. (Lord I miss the college days and the ample supply of time to game!) I believe then getting a setup circling around the 1600X makes more sense in this scenario. A solid, well synapsed rig is what I really want from the get go.

I was never inclined to go the Threadripper way and that decision still stands as is. Also, the word "future-proofing" is a bit of an oxymoron in my books. Could me just my askewed thinking but then again if I'm covered for the next two years with the 1600X setup then I'm a happy trooper. After a couple of years I might get hit by the upgrade bridge again and I'll just cross it when I need to.

Last edited:
Ah, so you wont be overclocking... 1600X is a good choice then.

Though overclocking has become very easy these days as you must be knowing, you just need to up the multiplier with some voltage and you would be having an overclocked proccy. People who dont like to go into the BIOS and tinker stuff, for them AMD has released Ryzen Master, you can overclock the processor from within Windows OS.

As you seem quite knowledgable. i am pretty sure, you know what you doing :).

Back