deejay

Skilled
Got the Geil one series Tccd today.

These are rated at
200mhz= 1.5-2-2-5
300 mhz = 2.5-4-4-7

geil15tk.jpg

geil22ct.jpg

It comes in an acrylic case. the top cover slides open.

geil40op.jpg

geil68qf.jpg

ps: that red labeled tube is "cpu cooler compound" ???:huh:

Since i have a angiography / angioplasty case in the family tomorrow i will try to install it this weekend and run through its paces.

Yes Deejay could you please post the voltage required, price and from where you bought it. The info will be appreciated :D

BTW, I forgot, congrats man !

I'm guessing he got it from Newegg, as he does with the rest of his stuff ;)

Its listed there for around 210$.

However Newegg has a bit of an error with respect to Voltages - lists it as supporting 2.55V - 3.8V ! Apparently there are 2 versions of the Geil ONE - "S" Series (GOS1GB3200DC like Deejay has), these are the TCCD sticks. And another version - "W" series , no guesses here.. these are Winbond sticks and these would need the high 3.8V. 3.8V through the S series TCCD would instantly fry them! :p

"S" = Samsung TCCD

"W" = Winbond BH-5 (which need high Vdimm ...)

Actually i got them from newegg because little darlings at home taunted me for the slight stuttering in bf2.
I had 512 mb and there is a very slight stuttering initially,like 15 to 20 secs into the game. but after that it plays flawlessly.

I tell you the kids nowadays are really spoilt. they want perfection (especially while gaming) irrespective to the capability or ability of the elders to get the hardware......j/k

Yeah and I thought that previous statement was made w.r.t me and Goldenfrag :p

Anyways DJ, these TCCD sticks would require atleast 2.9V like other TCCD sticks to perform right ?

^ I think Masky responded to your question just a few days back saying he needed only 2.8V to max out his TCC5. Same case with Bottle and his TCCD as well ! TCCD need just a slight bump in voltages, nothing more !

Yes Eddy Masky did say that but I thought this was Geil na...

Still $201 is a great price for these sticks. I would love to see what Deejay can extract out of them...

^ Why would Geil have an impact on voltages? :huh:

TCCD is TCCD whether its on Geil RAM, OCZ RAM or even Simmtronics hehe! Of course the PCB quality has an impact on how much you can extract out of your chip , but definately not on the voltages. A slight bump in voltages to 2.8-2.9V is all thats needed to get the max out of your TCCD sticks. We see people going much higher on the volts for that last extra 2-3Mhz, but for TCCD that is often at the cost of seeing your memory die / or shortening its life.

Brand makes very little difference, all that differs is the speed testing/grading that these companies do for their memory.

Thanks for the clarification Eddy !

BTW, what's the difference between TCCD and TCC5 ? Are both made by Samsung itself ?

^ Both made by Samsung. TCC5 is essentially the same die as TCCD, except that TCCD has speed grading(i.e. speed binning) while the TCC5 isnt speed graded. Hence you can find some TCC5 reaching speeds similar to TCCD while some TCC5 just wont cut it !

I guess the move was made by Samsung, since they would have had a lot less gains with the TCCD inventory

Oh, ok thanks again. So basically the thing is that with TCC5 it depends on your luck, or are there any other sing of selecting a performer ?

Also, whats the price diffrence between TCC5 and TCCD like ?

Yep, TCC5 depends on luck. Also could depend on the memory manufacturers and their level of grading - higher speed graded TCC5 (like PC4800) will obviously do well.

Corsair still has an assured supply of TCCD from Samsung it seems. Pricing difference , TCCD tends to be more expensive on account of it being rare.

^^Correction, IIRC TCC5 is graded as well... just that its rated at 466MHz by samsung vs 500 MHz of TCCD. Hence TCCD is more expensive obviously. Its almost impossible for TCC5 to do 2.5-3-3-7 @ 300MHz which can be done by a lot of the better TCCD based sticks. TCC5 is happier with Tras set at 4 for high speeds.

Here are some of my provisional results of Geil one TCCD's...

N.B.1) Vdimm was 2.8V

2) I had to use 8x HTT multiplier , instead of the default 9x of the 3000+ venice due to the limitations of the cpu to o/c and because i am using 704-BT bios (Big Toe modified)

which limits the vcore to max 155 X 113%. the psu was a big factor too, especially the 12V rail.

N.B.

For 330 mhz i had to increase the vdimm to 2.94

PS:1) these are very provisional results. i will try to optimise the latencies and other settings soon and post. also i have not yet carried out any superpi 1M and 32M runs. these i will do when i am optimising the ram settings.

2) @ 335 and 340 mhz the m/c does not boot at all for now (no windows startup screen, it reboots just before that.). this i suspect is again due to the psu. Tomorrow i will get a new psu. Can anybody let me know from where i can purchase that Zebronics 540W server psu in mumbai asap ....and is the price of 3.5K correct ??

Here are the modest scores in everest.

the settings was 325 mhz memory as per pic above.

unfortunately i forgot to save the read scores ...but i had noted it down it was 7637.

two days back just when i had installed these rams i had taken the everest read score,

the cpu fsb was at my permanent default of 285 mhz = 285 x 9 = 2565 mhz.

Vdimm = 2.84

Back