Storage Solutions Getting a new ext HD, need advice

Basics

Disciple
Hi, I noticed a couple of days ago that I am running out of space on my main HD, So I tried to transfer most of the data to a Toshiba external but sadly during transfer something went wrong and it went bad... so Could you guys please help me find a new drive which would suit my needs?

Preferences,

Capacity - 2 TB & above.
Form factor - Any
Budget - under 8K
Brand - Any, but I've had both good and bad experiences with Seagate.
Port - USB 3.0
Read, Write speeds - something adequate, not too slow though.
Needs - Long term storage, would be nice if it is a bit durable and has shock resistance because my hard drives always take a bit of abuse.

Thanks

Hello Basics!

Welcome to TE!

Which Hard Disk?
From my experience I have had good experiences with seagate. Agreed, I have had my share of lemons (occupational hazard of having used PCs for over a decade and a half), but you should not go wrong with most hard disks. I have purchesed a couple of seagate harddisks (one over three years ago, and another one recently) and both of them seem to be working just fine. The one I have purchased three years ago is used everyday and so far, it has been doing fairly well.

Look at the Toshiba Canvio Alumy 2 TB(avaialbe on FK, for around 7K) they are beautiful and in my experience, reliable!
http://www.flipkart.com/toshiba-canvio-alumy-2-tb-wired/p/itmegvgfuhfegqrt

Price?
Most 2TB harddisks are now avaialble for under 8k, so I think you are set there.

Or, if you are like me, buy a hard-disk dock, and buy a couple of internal hard-disks and keep cloning them!

http://www.amazon.in/Orico-Super-Sp...TF8&qid=1469848626&sr=1-1&keywords=orico+dock

Hey soulweaver!, thanks. it's great to be here.
Also thank you for your suggestions.
The thing is I have a Seagate drive from '09 still in working condition, and because of that I tried to get from an online retailer but failed miserably ; I had to seek a replacement for the said drive three times or thrice and even then I didn't receive one under damaged, I really hoped to get another from Seagate but this experience is really hindering my choices hence why I decided to go with another brand.

Regarding the Toshiba drive, I'll check it out but I'm not going to make a snap decision because a Toshiba just died on me. So I think I'll wait for a bit before finally deciding on it.

Regarding cloning, I think I'll just do that with an external.
Also want do you think about WD Passport and Book models?

Thanks.

Hey soulweaver!, thanks. it's great to be here.
Also thank you for your suggestions.
The thing is I have a Seagate drive from '09 still in working condition, and because of that I tried to get from an online retailer but failed miserably ; I had to seek a replacement for the said drive three times or thrice and even then I didn't receive one under damaged, I really hoped to get another from Seagate but this experience is really hindering my choices hence why I decided to go with another brand.

Regarding the Toshiba drive, I'll check it out but I'm not going to make a snap decision because a Toshiba just died on me. So I think I'll wait for a bit before finally deciding on it.

Regarding cloning, I think I'll just do that with an external.
Also want do you think about WD Passport and Book models?

Thanks.
I have used a passport drive, and they are reliable. I have never used the book though!

Hi Basics,
Just a suggestion, in this budget if you are looking for backup device, then WD My Passport Ultra is the way to go. It comes with the full version of the WD Smartware Pro software. It's a pretty simple and straightforward backup software that uses minimal PC resources. Set it up once and you can forget about it
For more information about WD External drives, you may visit the below link:
http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=yUnVll
Hope it helps.

Hi Basics,
Just a suggestion, in this budget if you are looking for backup device, then WD My Passport Ultra is the way to go. It comes with the full version of the WD Smartware Pro software. It's a pretty simple and straightforward backup software that uses minimal PC resources. Set it up once and you can forget about it
For more information about WD External drives, you may visit the below link:
http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=yUnVll
Hope it helps.

Is it only with the Ultra? I have 3 WD elements and I got only a trial version. Need to buy another, and if the ultra has a free version it might be worth it?

Back