Getting a new PS3 , few issues and doubts .

I have just finished building my home theater system and to make it complete i have to add a ps3 . http://www.techenclave.com/show-off/everyday-show-off-thread-57621/p322/#post1753002 Post number 6430
I am completely new/noob to this field and hence need your valuable advise . I have few doubts to be clarified before getting a new PS3 .
1 : Now , how is the blu ray movie playback ? Can it replace my current Samsung 3d blu ray player ?
2: Since my 55' HDTV does not have SMART functions , i want to know how is the browsing and youtube/streaming capabilities of ps3 .
3: Which version should i get ? I want to offcourse jailbreak it to play games via HDD and install 3rd party apps .
4: If i dont jailbreak it , can i atleast play movies and music via HDD .
Again , sorry for the noob questions .

I have just finished building my home theater system and to make it complete i have to add a ps3 . http://www.techenclave.com/show-off/everyday-show-off-thread-57621/p322/#post1753002 Post number 6430
I am completely new/noob to this field and hence need your valuable advise . I have few doubts to be clarified before getting a new PS3 .
1 : Now , how is the blu ray movie playback ? Can it replace my current Samsung 3d blu ray player ?
2: Since my 55' HDTV does not have SMART functions , i want to know how is the browsing and youtube/streaming capabilities of ps3 .
3: Which version should i get ? I want to offcourse jailbreak it to play games via HDD and install 3rd party apps .
4: If i dont jailbreak it , can i atleast play movies and music via HDD .
Again , sorry for the noob questions .

1 - Yes it can replace your Samsung Player.
2 - On opening youtube in the provided browser it opens a customized youtube player. Very much like Internet Radio 1 on PSP which is nothing but Shoutcast with a theme on PSP. Anyways the video appears to be 360p and I couldn't find an option to increase the video resolution (Actually I didn't bother to find it). Haven't tried any other streaming sites on it. Media Servers are easy to detect and play from. The experience depends on the type of connection. If the media server and PS3 are connected to each other over a router via Lan Cable then heavier HD videos play smoothly but if over WiFi then the experience depends on the capability of the router.
3 - Check here - http://www.techenclave.com/gaming-consoles/ps3-jailbreak-discussion-thread-97084/
4 - You can play Videos and Music without Jailbreak from an external HDD or internal HDD. PS3 doesn't support NTFS so you can't play files with file size larger than 4 GB. MKV and OGM is not supported so you will have to Remux those videos. A friend did mention that he had some problems with playing mp4 videos - After about 30 minutes the audio stops playing.

Thanks but as I can see that some of the newer models of ps3 cannot be jailbreaked . Is it true ? If yes then what are my options . Also the thread doesnt say anything regarding browsing/streaming features .

Browsing - You can easily connect a wireless keyboard and mouse for browsing. Very much like a desktop browser - Give or Take (Actually Take Away) a few features.

Thanks @prabs . No HD videos on youtube is a disappointment , i was hoping to use my fast broadband connection with lan cable via router . I was hoping for streaming sites like netflix , Youtube ,dailymotion to work in HD atleast 720p on my 55' HDTV.
So i guess even the latest firmware ie. 4.3XX can be jailbreaked , good to know since i read somewhere that the newer models were impossible to crack .
Anyway will be buying within 5-6 days , seems like most of the online shops are out of stocks , cant decide on which version of PS3 to select . 12gb/160/320 or 500gb or motion bundle , hell lot to choose from , budget is around 20k . Even second hand is an option , remaining money then would be spent on games .

No HD videos on youtube is a disappointment , i was hoping to use my fast broadband connection with lan cable via router . I was hoping for streaming sites like netflix , Youtube ,dailymotion to work in HD atleast 720p on my 55' HDTV.

How much bandwidth are you getting? I have got 2 mbps (Ignore my signature will remove it). Though connected via WiFi I do get that speed without loss on PS3. NetFlix is not available in India. Will try Dailymotion and report later in the evening.

So i guess even the latest firmware ie. 4.3XX can be jailbreaked , good to know since i read somewhere that the newer models were impossible to crack .

I have no idea about the mod scene but I think you will have to downgrade the firmware. I bought a 320 GB Slim Version 2 months back and I am sure the OFW out of the box was 3.61 and am currently on 4.31 and I think the base should have been 3.55 or lower for mods. With Super Slim models there is no chance of getting one with a lower firmware. Do check with other members on this.

Anyway will be buying within 5-6 days , seems like most of the online shops are out of stocks , cant decide on which version of PS3 to select . 12gb/160/320 or 500gb or motion bundle , hell lot to choose from , budget is around 20k . Even second hand is an option , remaining money then would be spent on games .

Personally I don't like the new Super Slim Models. I have been thinking of buying a PS3 someday for over a year and a half. When I saw the Super Slim Model and heard they are going to replace the then current PS3 Slims I bought one immediately. If you can, go for a 160 GB/320 GB Slim Model over the new Super Slim Model.

--------------------------------

Youtube works on PS3 at 240p only not 360p. There is a way to get around this you will have to watch youtube videos through - http://www.ps3youtube.com/
It does both enable you to watch the vids in higher resolution and download them as well.

DailyMotion - PS3 browser does have flash but I guess it is an older version which is why I DailyMotion didn't work for me.

rohan_mhtr

I'm sorry, but as of now there is really no easy way for you to jailbreak your PS3.

Jailbreaking / Custom Firmware
1) Any PS3 on any shelf in the world as of now will have firmware that is well beyond 3.55 which is what you need in order to successfully jailbreak your PS3.
2) In order to jailbreak / install custom firmware on the PS3, you must have Original firmware not exceeding 3.55 which you will not find anymore on a new unit.
3) The only other way to do it, it to go in for a hardware flasher, but that isn't exactly a practical solution as it does not lend itself to being easy or cheap.

Video Playback (on stock unit)
1) The PS3 supports most basic video and audio codecs but you most certainly won't be able to play MKV's natively
2) The PS3 does not read NTFS partitions, which means you will have to connect an HDD with FAT32 only. Another downside to this is that your video files cannot exceed 4GB since FAT32 does not support individual file sizes over 4 GB. As a work around to this, you could split any file that is over 4 GB into smaller file sizes.
3) You could however get the most famous media server for the PS3 known as the PS3 Media Server (Google it). You can set it up on your computer that is preferably connected to your home network (or directly to the PS3) via a Gigabit LAN connection. The PS3 will detect the Media Server automatically (after you have completed the network configuration) and you can then stream any movie or file format of your choice over the network. For formats that the stock PS3 does not natively support, the media server will transcode it on the fly.

YouTube
Like someone before me mentioned, PS3 has a customized YouTube app. I will have to check about the quality of playback. Will let you know once I get home.

Blu-ray
It can definitely replace any Blu-ray drive. I've had no problems with playback. I would recommend getting the Sony PS3 Bluetooth remote control accessory if you intend to use your PS3 for a lot of media watching. It can be had for as low as Rs. 1400 I think.

All the shortcomings of the stock PS3 that I have mentioned above (inability to read NTFS drives, inability to play MKV's and other rare codecs) can be overcome by getting a unit that has been jailbroken. The PS3 turns into an all-in-one entertainment system once you have jailbroken it. My honest suggestion to you is to find a used unit that still has the original 3.55 firmware or below, or a unit that has already been jailbroken.

All online shops selling only 12gb version . A local dealer is quoting me Rs21000 for 320gb version along with move bundle and one free game , or the 500gb super slim model without the move bundle and 2 free games uncharted 3 and Gran Turismo 5 for 19990 . Please suggest fast guys , got to know by this evening !

After searching a lot , finally purchased PS3 320gb along with move bundle and one game ie. medieval moves free for Rs 19990 .
Now guys please suggest some good games . Also suggest some good 3d and move games .

Back