Video Getting a real 4K UHD TV demo in showrooms?

vishalrao

Global Moral Police
Skilled
What with all the hype and ads about 4K/UHD TVs these days, I wanted to know if any showrooms/dealerships (I'm in Pune) have set up any real 4K/UHD content demos for the TVs - whatever be the brand (Sony, Samsung, LG, Le) ?

I haven't really even looked at a real 4K screen let alone watching real good 4K content on them, so was thinking of exploring this holiday season.

Pretty sure I won't be buying anything 4K for another year or two - and I'll probably start with a 4K PC monitor first - just wanted to know if and where I can get to experience the hype and see what is the difference from regular Full HD 1080p content.

Not in Pune but I just wanted to help here a bit.

Just download the Big Buck Bunny 4k version (around 650MB) from their site and put it on a USB. Ask the salesman to load the movie. Normally all these shops use one coaxial cable to show content on all their screens and use the coaxial (analog TV port) instead of the hdmi port to show tv content. AS you can guess the picture quality is really bad in such situations. The only way you can get a good understanding is to get them to use the usb port.

http://bbb3d.renderfarming.net/download.html

Edit: Another really good 4k content to watch is Hayaku A Time Lapse Journey Through Japan 2014. Search for it on youtube or other sites.

Most stores (incl Croma) play 4K demo content on the 4K screens (incl HDR for TVs that support it)
You are also welcome to come down to my place for a detailed demo if you want :p

Including your home automation stuff??? :p

Yeah, I'll probably just visit some store this Diwali holiday week to see what all the hype is about. Thanks for the offer though!

Yeah, I'll probably just visit some store this Diwali holiday week to see what all the hype is about. Thanks for the offer though!
4K alone is a little overhyped
4K with 10 bit on the other hand looks gorgeous.. although content is sadly quite limited..
Watched a 10bit 4K version of Elysium this weekend - the PQ jump from regular 1080p was on the same scale as the jump from 480p SD to 720p

If you are in the market for a new TV though, you will be hard pressed to find good panels on 1080p sets now - all of the focus by major manufacturers is on the 4K lines

4K alone is a little overhyped
4K with 10 bit on the other hand looks gorgeous.. although content is sadly quite limited..
Watched a 10bit 4K version of Elysium this weekend - the PQ jump from regular 1080p was on the same scale as the jump from 480p SD to 720p

If you are in the market for a new TV though, you will be hard pressed to find good panels on 1080p sets now - all of the focus by major manufacturers is on the 4K lines

Yep 4K without HDR and a wide gamut is not worth it. If you want a 4K TV, get one with HDR or don't bother. Right now the 2016 LG OLED TVs are the king of the hill.

Back