User Review Gigabyte BRIX GB-BXi3H-5010-BN Mini-PC Review

Gigabyte BRIX GB-BXi3H-5010-BN Mini-PC Review

GB-BXi3H.jpg

Today we are reviewing an Ultra Compact PC from Gigabyte better known as BRIX. The Gigabyte BRIX GB-BXi3H-5010-BN, a small form factor PC based on Intel's Broadwell micro-architecture is perfect as an ultra-low power office or home PC, as a HTPC or Media hub. With an extremely integrated system-on-chip (SOC) solution this compact smart looking box have enough power to satisfy all your entertainment and basic office PC needs. And best part is that Gigabyte sold BRIX as a DIY PC kit, allowing users to choose system memory and storage (mSATA, SSD or HDD) of their choice.
01.jpg

Now let’s see what this new ultra compact PC from Gigabyte have for us.

Package
Gigabyte BRIX comes in a beautiful black box package with Gigabyte logo and actual product picture at the front. At the rear of the box, we find that Gigabyte goes into great detail on the specifications of the product.
02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Inside the box
06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Features
  • Features Latest Intel® 5th generation Core Processors
  • Ultra compact PC design at only 0.58L (46.8 x 107.6 x 114.4mm)
  • Supports 2.5” HDD/SSD, 7.0/9.5 mm thick (1 x 6 Gbps SATA 3)
  • 1 x mSATA SSD slot
  • 2 x SO-DIMM DDR3L slot (1333/1600 MHz)
  • Intel® IEEE 802.11 ac ,Dual Band Wi-Fi & Bluetooth 4.0 NGFF M.2 card
  • HDMI plus Mini DisplayPort Outputs (Supports dual displays)
  • Intel® HD Graphics 5500
  • 4 x USB 3.0
  • Gigabit Lan
  • Headphone Jack with Microphone
  • VESA mounting Bracket (75 x 75mm + 100 x 100mm)
  • Support Near Field Communication technology (NFC)
19.jpg

20.jpg

20b.jpg

Specifications
21.jpg

Looks
A tiny stylish looking box with power button on top and lot of ports on front and back.
13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

Inside Look
Opening the BRIX for any hardware upgrade is very simple. Just remove four screws and the back cover, you get straight access for RAM and SDD / HDD upgrade. Back cover also holds bracket for installation of one 2.5” SATA drive.

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

Disconnecting front panel connector, wifi antenna cable and unscrewing two more screw and the board is out. Whole case is having a strong metallic frame giving support the case and acting as a EMI shield. Very dense build at PCB level with a fan and copper heatsink on the other side of the board for cooling the chip.

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

Removing the heatsink
32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

Component Layout
Board is design with a SoC (System On Chip) technology, so beside few interface chips and a BIOS chip, board is just having passive components and Power supply parts only.
Detail of all components used inside the device

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

Testing
Test system configuration - Gigabyte GB-BXi3H-5010-BN, Intel i3-5010U @ 2.10GHz, 4GB Kingston 1600Mhz RAM (Kingston KVR16LS11/4), Samsung 830 SSD 256GB.
42.jpg

43.jpg

BIOS
44.jpg

45.jpg

46.jpg

Benchmarks
47.jpg

48.jpg

49.jpg

50.jpg

51.jpg

52.jpg

53.jpg

54.jpg

Pros
  • DIY Kit with Custom Upgrade
  • Ultra Compact
  • Decent Performance
  • Ultra Low noise
  • Great Price

Cons
  • Cant use the bundled driver DVD ( No optical drive option)

Conclusion
Gigabyte GB-BXi3H-5010-BN can be a straight office desktop PC replacement. Offering 2.5”drive bay option alongside mSATA slot makes BRIX a great option for HTPC lovers.
Only problem I faced is with the supplied driver DVD. Don’t have a USB DVD drive, so have to download driver from the Gigabyte website. After downloading individual components drive, than have to install them all one by one. Not a big issue, but I would like to suggest Gigabyte to provide one application download which automatically detect s, downloads and installs all the required drives.
Gigabyte has done a great job in designing such a ultra compact PC giving great performance in a low noise and low power consumption package. More over users have a lot of upgrade options in memory and storage section. Finally if you are looking for a small form factor PC that can handle all your daily PC needs, than Gigabyte BRIX GB-BXi3H-5010-BN is the right choice for you and at just Rs.23000/- (approx.).

Manufacturers Info

Site Link

Source / More info

Thanks.

For a few thousand more, the NUC5i5RYK with the i5 5250 that has the HD Graphics 6000 (GT3 with 48 EUs and extra graphics buffer) is a better deal to be honest.

It has an Intel NIC, Wifi and supports both 2.5" SATA and M.2 ports. Also the extra gpu horsepower is useful for video playback.

For a few thousand more, the NUC5i5RYK with the i5 5250 that has the HD Graphics 6000 (GT3 with 48 EUs and extra graphics buffer) is a better deal to be honest.

It has an Intel NIC, Wifi and supports both 2.5" SATA and M.2 ports. Also the extra gpu horsepower is useful for video playback.

@Chaos - please can you share the price? and a link?

We are going with Intel NUCs and a Mac Mini for office for a video conferencing solution.

which nuc model and at what price point? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back