Global Internet Speeds Slows Down - BIGGEST ATTACK IN HISTORY

terence_fdes

wizened Dinosaur
Skilled
If you are wondering why the net has been slow in the past 24 hours - In my case it slowed down to 8 KB/s at times, then check this out

BBC News
The internet around the world has been slowed down in what security experts are describing as the biggest cyber-attack of its kind in history.
A row between a spam-fighting group and hosting firm has sparked retaliation attacks affecting the wider internet.... These attacks are peaking at 300 gb/s (gigabits per second)

bankokpost
The largest known distributed-denial-of-service (DDoS) attack in the history of the internet is currently slowing down the Net worldwide.
The slowdown is because of a fight between a company attempting to stop the spread of spam emails, and a Dutch company that hosts the spammer's servers.
It was causing widespread congestion Wednesday evening to critical infrastructure around the world.
The squabble between Spamhaus, a spam-fighting group based in London and Geneva, and hosting service CyberBunker is causing a global slowdown of internet speeds and leading to frustration for those unable to access websites as quickly as normal or stream TV shows online, analysts said.
Up to five separate international police forces are investigating the incident.

Datamation
A fight has broken out in cyberspace between a spam-fighting group called SpamHaus and a Dutch hosting service called Cyberbunker—and the escalating attacks are slowing down the entire Internet. The massive scale of the attack is being called unprecedented.

Terry

Was this the reason ?? I was getting less than half speed on my torrents yesterday evening and when not using torrents, surfing was awfully slow.

Was this the reason ?? I was getting less than half speed on my torrents yesterday evening and when not using torrents, surfing was awfully slow.

It's not consistent. There are frequent bursts (more often than not), wherein everything crawls.

So, unless you are on BSNL - as our good friend @logistopath is (and waiting to also hear from MTNL users). You see the GOI is insulated and goes into hyper-mode when the whole world is down..... so our ICBM's will travel faster & hit da enemy quicker. Errrrr I'n going nvuts :arghh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Woah !
Thanks for sharing Terry. I thought it was ISP getting back at me for giving 2mbps instead of 512kbps (for 2 weeks :rolleyes:) 5 days ago

My briwsing speed on some sites has been a bit slow... But download speeds are the same... Dow loaded gta 4 and sniper ghost warrior 2 in 24 hours ..

Update: Just a received message from ACT Broadband saying "Deep sea marine fibre optic outage between India and Europe,Hence slow speed is expected"

and i thought i was the only one facing the problem here. TE was loading only half page every minute for me from past 1-2 days. those people doing the ddos'ing must have made even more enemies now.

Edit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-21963100
Egyptian authorities say they have arrested three divers trying to cut through an undersea internet cable.
The men were caught on a fishing boat just off the port city of Alexandria, said military spokesman Col Ahmed Mohammed Ali.
The damaged cable caused a drop in the speed of online services in Egypt and some other countries, said Egyptian news agency Mena.
It was unclear whether the incident was linked to cables damaged last Friday.
At the time, cable operator Seacom said several lines connecting Europe with Africa, the Middle East and Asia were hit, also slowing down internet services, reported Reuters news agency.
The cable hit in Wednesday's apparent sabotage was the South East Asia Middle East Western Europe 4 (SEA-ME-WE 4) - one of the main cables snaking under the Mediterranean, Mena said.

internet being attacked physically and electronically.

Back