GMAIL: Verify your account option

theoracle

Adept
Today I tried to create a new gmail account.
After providing all the account details (name, password recovery info) etc.. now it is asking for a phone number to verify my new account.

====================
Verify your account
We've detected unusual activity on your account. To immediately restore access to your account, choose how to verify your account.
Verification Options
Text Message
Google will send a text message containing a verification code to your mobile phone.
Voice Call
Google will make an automated voice call to your phone with a verification code.
====================

I didn't understand the part were it says "We've detected unusual activity on your account. To immediately restore access to your account, choose how to verify your account." :S , I was creating a new account so from where the hell it detected unusual activity :no:.
Got the same message when I tried with a different loginid.

Is it a standard practice of google now, or I was the unfortunate bakra for such strict verification

As on March 24, 2010:......Google launched a new feature in Gmail on Wednesday that will alert users when the system detects suspicious activity that might indicate the account has been compromised. Gmail already displays information at the bottom of the in-box showing the time of the last activity on the account and whether it's still open in another location. But people often don't think to check that information, Will Cathcart, a Gmail product manager, said in an interview on Wednesday. So Google is taking the extra step of displaying a warning to users in the form of a big banner that says "warning your acct was accessed from..." and which specifies a geographic region where the account was accessed when unusual activity was detected.

"For example, if you always log in from the same country and all of a sudden there is a log in from halfway around the world" that is suspicious, Cathcart said. Or, if the system detects that one particular IP address is accessing numerous accounts and changing passwords for them, that would trigger warnings for affected accounts, he said. After receiving the warning banner, users can click a "details" link to get more information, such as where the last access points were. Users can change their password from that window.

But you have just opened new account....no suspicious activity so may be a BAKRA....but the IT is a very diverse field... may be some one somewhere randomly may have tried to login with your ID.....just RANDOM.....so I think u shld relax.

yeah that's the same problm i've so can just change ip or wat ..??

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

so can we just change the ip to access or wat..?,

This kind of thing happen to me also.
I have to give mobile no to verify.
But,I always use mu home PC to access gmail.
But,I have to change ISP very frequently.
May be the reason for me different types of IPs.....:S
I don't know if google is collecting mobile no for sending adds or spam.....:huh:

Google doesnt send spam or ads to the mobile. Its just for verification. I use it on a daily basis. If u log in from same computer daily there is an option to remember the code for 30 days.

I was concerned with providing my contact details (phone/mobile) to google.

I would have felt assured if they had mentioned some kind of privacy policy etc.. that they don't keep a record of it once the verification is done.

thanks a lot

1.jpg

theoracle said:
I was concerned with providing my contact details (phone/mobile) to google.

I would have felt assured if they had mentioned some kind of privacy policy etc.. that they don't keep a record of it once the verification is done.
Good news for CIA.

Ha, i have this problem but with facebook(Email verification). And the worst part is, after verification of my email id, it asks me to again verify my email! Now, how good is that?

theoracle said:
I think this happens when you change your ISP frequently and/or try logging into two or more gmail account from the same m/c.

Nopes it doesn't work that way .If u login with Indian IP now and an hour later with a different country's IP it triggers the verification option.

Yes most of the time this happened when I tried logging in from 2-3 different country IP's

But that really doesn't happen everytime, for example I would have expected this to happen everytime I connect to my office network via VPN.

Back