Going to Sri Lanka

vikas049

Disciple
As the topic says going to Sri Lanka for Christmas - New Year :hap2:

Please let me know thing i should know and places where i should visit :huh:

Appreciate ur inputs :clap:

Cheers

I would suggest opting for a packaged tour from Sri Lankan Airlines/Tourism.

They are well organized and include quite a bit of sight seeing. Accommodation and transportation is pretty decent.

It's a very beautiful place (lot of greenery, nice beaches), people are friendly, quite a few places to see.

Overall, a worthwhile trip.

P.S: At some star resorts, the ratio of foreigners to locals (neighbours), may offset the kind of service you get. :)

^^ thanks for ur help on this...we are a group of 6 and planning to explore sri lanka ourself..might take a car for 5 days..Any good Hotels for stay, if ny1 has in mind

In Sri Lanka, buy a lot of formal shirts, Allen Solly, Louis Phillipe, Peter England shirts are damn cheap out there in Sri Lanka.

Due to the cotton growth in Sri Lanka..
and also the labour is cheap ..
The clothes are of better quality and relative cheaper..

Ny idea what is the currency conversion rate...i see 1.00 INR = 2.45538 LKR but when i go to forex dealers they quote 2.38... Huge difference..i'm from chennai..any help in this matter

Well, I suggest carrying adequate funds in USD and have it locally changed to LKR. Forex agents in SL offer a good conversion rate.

In some places, you can actually pay in INR.

Please dont convert to USD. You are adding another leg to the transaction. I would suggest direct conversion from Rupee to LKR. It can be done in the airport. there are lot of forex dealers there. take a bit in USD and the rest in Rupee

Yup. Basically u loose money on each forex transaction. it can be anywhere between 2-5%. So its just easier to cponvert to the currency of the country your are visiting. For eg. on my recent trip to Singapore, I converted to SG here itself. In your case, LKR will not be available here, but they are willing to take INR there. So convert at the airport.

mav2000 said:
Please dont convert to USD. You are adding another leg to the transaction. I would suggest direct conversion from Rupee to LKR. It can be done in the airport. there are lot of forex dealers there. take a bit in USD and the rest in Rupee
My friend, you get a better rate of conversion from USD to LKR locally. By better, more than the equivalent conversion of INR to LKR. Moreover, most touristy places would show outright acceptance of USD.

The conversion rate is pretty low for INR to LKR, locally.

I'm specifically referring to Sri Lanka and not any other destination.

Was there for a whole week and covered most touristy places.

You'll see when you get there and start traveling. I'm just giving you suggestions. :)

I got my forex done..but for LKR...got an awesome deal from the dealer which i could not resist... 1 INR = 2.421 is what he gave me..

At least at the Colombo airport none of the shops accept INR (they said they have been told not to accept INR by the authorities) and all items are listed in USD only.

Back