Good download manager for windows

Hey Guys

I'm stuck with windows 7 for some time and need a good download manager recommendation for the same.
I don't want to use IDM though since it is paid and it doesn't make much sense for me because I am not a very heavy downloader to pay 1200/- for just a downloader and neither am I going to use it for long.
So, any other "free" alternatives? I used to use flashget 4-5 years back..How good is it now? I went to their site but they have 3 different versions there with no explanations what is there in what...

I saw FDM's site and it is not updated since Jan last year..Does it still work fine? I used Jdownloader sometime back in linux but it takes up too much memory..

What exactly are the IDM's benefits over others? Is it like Jdownloader that can download from rapidshare/hotfile/MU etc?

^^ Asking because I tried it briefly last night by a test download of ubuntu ISO and it was stuck on creating 2nd connection or something (probably for the simultaneous multipart download). Download speed was hovering in 1-2 bytes/sec.. I tried another file (Android SDK) and same result.. Was thinking whether it is something on my end or not..

With IDM trial version, both files downloaded fine (again using multiple connections)

shantanugoel said:
I saw FDM's site and it is not updated since Jan last year..Does it still work fine? I used Jdownloader sometime back in linux but it takes up too much memory..
What exactly are the IDM's benefits over others? Is it like Jdownloader that can download from rapidshare/hotfile/MU etc?
The answer is yes.
Give it a try i say no harm and decide.
It not that you are paying for the trial.
Nothing is locked in trial version.
So you will know what the full version will do .

hA1d3R said:
i still use flashget (old version i think)
How many parts does the file download in ?
I am not sure if you are aware but you can pump up the number of parts to 30 (default max is 10) using something called as flashget hack (not really for hacking).
Try that if not used, it will maximize your bandwidth usage.

I have used both Free Download Manager and JDownloader. I have to say: JDownloader kicks FDM's ass. Setting up premium accounts is a breeze (FDM on the other hand has trouble downloading from hotfile in Win 7). It supports plugins. It comes with integrated link checking, HJSplit and WinRAR support, everything you can ask of a download manager.

I was so impressed with JDownloader that I actually donated money to the project in their website.

Yes, it is built on Java, so, it may take a little more memory than FDM, but nothing a modern computer can't handle.

Apart from the slow startup there is nothing wrong with jdownloader. I still use utorrent + jdownloader + orbit for my downloading needs though.

i use jdownloader and cryptload. Both are quite good. Cryptload has option of adding free accounts to it too which jdownloader does not have.

Heres the list -

Jdownloader - Rapidshare hotfile etc
Shareaza - sharing mp3 videos etc (gnutella, emule networks)
dc++ (if u have lan connection)
IDM - the BEST for direct dls

raksrules said:
How many parts does the file download in ?

I am not sure if you are aware but you can pump up the number of parts to 30 (default max is 10) using something called as flashget hack (not really for hacking).

Try that if not used, it will maximize your bandwidth usage.
the option is on the 1st screen itself , the default is 5 i think but i limit the download speed without that its difficult to surf the net . i tried other DL managers once in a while but didnt get used to others . I use v 1.8.2 , didnt like the new versions . is there any good alternative to flashget

I use Orbit Download Manager. Downloads very well, also like it's GrabIt feature which adds an extension to your browser to download streaming videos.

Back