Good Earphones under 1.2k

FaH33m, I am also looking for IEM for Sansa Clip Plus which I recently bought from UK.

Right now I am using Audio technica AD700 Open Cans. I like the music signature of these cans. I mostly listen to classical, jazz and new age music. I don't like bassy sound. I prefer smooth Mids and highs.

Since you have listened to PL30, RE2 and PL50. Which will be closer to my sound preferences?

Which one among the three is the best value for money? PL 30 is around Rs.950, RE around Rs.1800 and PL50 is Rs. 2600.

My guit feeling says that I should go for PL30 but would like to hear your opinion.

Thanks in advance

saumilsingh said:
Almost double the price. Why spoil myself when I already find the X3i's to be awesome ?

Cause you might find the RE-2 to be more awesome :p If you don't want to stretch the budget , settle for the PL-30/PL-21.The bass is the only deciding factor between the PL-21/30. I personally love the PL-21 more.

Kaval said:
FaH33m, I am also looking for IEM for Sansa Clip Plus which I recently bought from UK.

Right now I am using Audio technica AD700 Open Cans. I like the music signature of these cans. I mostly listen to classical, jazz and new age music. I don't like bassy sound. I prefer smooth Mids and highs.

Since you have listened to PL30, RE2 and PL50. Which will be closer to my sound preferences?

Which one among the three is the best value for money? PL 30 is around Rs.950, RE around Rs.1800 and PL50 is Rs. 2600.

My guit feeling says that I should go for PL30 but would like to hear your opinion.

Thanks in advance

I haven't heard the AD-700 personally,just read a lot about them on head-fi as they are one of the most suggested entry level hi-fi cans.

Anyways my suggestion for you would be Sound Magic PL-50 if you can go for it.It is far more superior compared to the PL-30 though it has a similar sound signature.It isn't the most accurate or neutral IEMs but it has a very sweet and engaging mid range coupled with an awesome sound stage.

The treble/highs are lot better than the PL-30.The bass isn't very strong.Its deep and has a good punch ,more dominant when using the foam tips.

Listening to instrumentals , especially an acoustic guitar feels really awesome on the PL-50.

If you want to keep the expenses low,the PL-30 is the best choice .It's similar to the PL-50 slightly lower sound quality ,detailing and inferior high notes. Do keep in mind that even the PL-30 has a very light bass .So incase you are a bass head ,you won't like the PL-30/50.

Hope this helps. :)

Thanks FaH33m for your opinions.

I will stick to PL 30 or PL50.

Is there any shop in Delhi where I can listen to PL30/50 before buying? If yes, Pl give me their contact numbers.

So where in Mumbai do i get Soundmagic PL-21. Primeabgb stocks only PL-30
currently and i have called many dealers in LT Road, mumbai they dont stock Soundmagic Earphones.

ahd said:
So where in Mumbai do i get Soundmagic PL-21. Primeabgb stocks only PL-30

currently and i have called many dealers in LT Road, mumbai they dont stock Soundmagic Earphones.

I don't think any shop other than Prime ABGB stocks Soundmagic and even they only have the PL-30.Try and contact dealers on TE ,who sell soundmagic .You might find it with them if not get a PL-30 from Prime.

Incase you find the PL-30 bass light, you can add a Fiio E5 later on.Makes a good difference. :)

sahilshah1987 said:
@FaH33m : How are the hippo booms compared to pl-11,pl-30?

Can't rate the Boom as better or inferior to PL-11/PL-30 since it has a totally different sound signature. The boom is mainly meant for bass heads .Sound Quality wise its better than the PL-11 but not as good as the PL-30 in terms soundstage & midrange. but the Hippo produces a really nice thumping bass which the PL-30 & PL-11 can't. ;)

Any users of Sansa Clip Plus and PL30/21 here?

I found that the earphones which came with Sansa are far better in SQ than the one supplied with Ipod nano and Cowon D2 players.

But how about comparing them with PL21/30? Any comments?

Thanks

@Faheem, a lot of people have queries related to IEM's. may be you should open up a 'Ask Faheem' thread :)

EDIT: and make it sticky too.

Kaval said:
Any users of Sansa Clip Plus and PL30/21 here?

I found that the earphones which came with Sansa are far better in SQ than the one supplied with Ipod nano and Cowon D2 players.

But how about comparing them with PL21/30? Any comments?

Thanks

Even a Creative EP-630 would be better than any stock earphone, including the Sansa one. PL21/30 would be miles ahead.

mhamirma said:
@Faheem, a lot of people have queries related to IEM's. may be you should open up a 'Ask Faheem' thread :)
EDIT: and make it sticky too.

yeah, one on the lines of the multiple iem threads on head-fi would be cool, especially combined with indian prices/availability.

^I've been planning to make a mini IEM buying guide or just the best suggestions for each budget with a short description .Need to find time :ashamed: .Right now working on a few more IEM reviews :).

FaH33m said:
^I've been planning to make a mini IEM buying guide or just the best suggestions for each budget with a short description

A table for comparison of features (like dfkt's thread in abi) would be nice - with short notes / brief reviews about sound signature etc.,

PS: Finish all those pending reviews first. I've been waiting for some of them eagerly :)

Was looking for Soundmagic PL-21 as Fah33m suggested originally, but didnt find it anywhere so i settled for this Sennheiser CX-180 Street II, and it turns out to be pretty good.
Very light to wear, comfortable and good bass and clarity it has, sound doesn't distorts, hitches. Overall decent sounding earphones.
Best part is that it comes with a 2 year warranty.

I hv put it on the Burn-in fr 70-80 hrs and will check the difference.

Thx every1 here.

Guys i too now have same query as OP. I already have RE2 but it seems they have started going kaput because of my carelessness :ashamed:, i will be contacting Amarbir to see if he can help me in this.
But now i feel the need to have a backup IEMs. But please backup does not mean that it has to be inferior quality. I have previously owned ep630 and like its bass. In short i do like bass in my IEMs.

So what suggestion do you guys have for me ?? Budget is same as OPs
Good Sound quality and good bass is also important.
Please suggest and also preferably pointers as to where i can buy them.

^^ How much do they cost and from where i can get them online / Mumbai / Pune ??
Also about Hippo Boom i suppose you (or someone else) has reviewed it. Will check that.
Btw i suppose on TE dealers section no one is selling PL21 i suppose. I want something which has good bass and i should not feel the need to use my E5 amplifiers.
Will be using it with my Sansa Clip+

Also i read on TE many people talk about SENNHEISER CX 180. How good or bad are they and what is their expected cost ?? I can find it on ebay for around 1400

Actually i am looking for something in range of 1000 bucks so no premium ones for me. Should i go back to EP630s ??
How are EP630 and EP830 different and why are EP830s so costly comparatively and where is my best bet (price too) to get ep630 under warranty.

ep 830s are way better than 630s as they give more clearer bass and mids are good too. trust me 630s just muffle everything up with their boomy bass whereas 830s have a cleaner crispier sound signature and still don't lack in the bass department. i got them from amarbir for just 650 as they were an oem product. ask him if he has more.

raksrules said:
^^ How much do they cost and from where i can get them online / Mumbai / Pune ??
Also about Hippo Boom i suppose you (or someone else) has reviewed it. Will check that.
Btw i suppose on TE dealers section no one is selling PL21 i suppose. I want something which has good bass and i should not feel the need to use my E5 amplifiers.
Will be using it with my Sansa Clip+

Also i read on TE many people talk about SENNHEISER CX 180. How good or bad are they and what is their expected cost ?? I can find it on ebay for around 1400

Actually i am looking for something in range of 1000 bucks so no premium ones for me. Should i go back to EP630s ??
How are EP630 and EP830 different and why are EP830s so costly comparatively and where is my best bet (price too) to get ep630 under warranty.

You can get Hippo Boom from moshel. Ask mediahome/Amarbir if they have the PL-21. I think Dark Star got a pair recently, ask him.

Both of these don't need amps and would go well with your Clip+.

Don't look at the EP630 and EP830. EP830 is just a little bit better than EP630 and still has a little muddy sound. The PL11 would be better than either of them.

As far as Sennheiser is concerned, I would suggest anyone not to look at their entry level/mid-end range at all. IMO the only Sennheiser worth buying are the high end ones like IE7/IE8. For the lower range ones, there are many better options.

Back