good router

x86

Skilled
guys suggest e a cheap but good enuff router for home use.
i need the following facilities.
sharing files sharing internet and sharing music etc etc or even streaming play and stuffs.
and one more thing does this effects the brain these wireless frequencies?

http://www.networkmagazineindia.com/200102/focus2.htm

Commercially, different countries have their own regulations on the use of wireless devices. There may be licensing requirements in some, which make the solution less cost effective. In others, the entire spectrum may not be available, which makes it difficult to introduce the products. Adds Narayanan "In most parts of the world, the use of 2.4Ghz which is mostly used for WLANs is license free, but in India, one needs the approval of Wireless Planning Commission (WPC

:O :O :O :O :O

Ave just bought a linksys wireless router (its a compact version) for around 3.4K and I use it for wireless internet sharing setup.

Its very good and does the job nicely, the fatter version of the same is around 3K,is in compliance with all of the standards like IEEE 802.3u and stuff

Model Number is WRT54GC.

As per your second question, Wireless routers definitely affect the rain, depending on what u browse on ur Wi-Fi setup :eek:hyeah:.

Regards,

DC.

The Linksys WRT54G anytime.You can add tons of features to it through hacked firmwares plus it runs rock stable.Have deployed 13 of these at my University with RADIUS & LDAP integration.

I have one at home with running alchemy firmware.Cost me 3k odd sometime mid last year.

^^ The WRT54G V4.0 is hackeable as it runs linux. V5.0 and above that run VXWorks is not hackeable. If you go and ask for a linksys router in the market right now, you'd probably get the V5.0 :(

ok huys it sweems now i need the version 4.0 anyone get it for me atleast :O :O well i'll try the calcutta market :) though
my house isa big one seems a good idea to use net while watching tv or stuffs :)

RiO said:
I use the Netgear WGR614 v6 which has a double firewall (SPI and NAT) but not sure if the same model is available in India - if it is, get it. Not as expensive as the Linksys.

More info at http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WGR614.php
It is! I have the same. Costed 2600 bucks in Bangalore. I'm not too fond of it though. It has issues with DNS lookup. By default, it sets itself up as the DNS server and forwards requests to the ISP's DNS. This doesnt work properly on my net connection and there are frequent timeouts (bugs?). I have to manually set the ISP's DNS as the DNS to be used on machine that connect thru it. Its a minor problem, though pretty irritating!

I use it alongside my Airtel's crappy Yozan Web Distributor II and I've not had any trouble - I live on the 1st floor but I'm able to use it fine on my terrace and on the ground floor.

I picked up my Netgear when I was in the US because I the office was fit with only Netgear gear :) It's been almost 5 months and no issues with it at all.

hmm rio lemme assmble my new rig [hopefully within 7 days].. i am thinking bout what to do :p hope some cash will be left and in tht case ur card is going to be mine but yea havent decided :p

PM anytime you need help or post in this topic & I'll be glad to help.I'm kinda a n00b when I start talking on the phone :p

No offence meant,I hope you understand. :)

Back