Good WiFi Router - Dual Band, WIFI-AC, VPN Pass-through

A friend has an netgear nighthawk r7000 for sale, you can install merlin xw rt on it.
Also you can install transmission, etc.
Lmk if interested
@dheeraj_jotwani

One question, do you have a WAN router/DSL attached?
As in the WAN RJ45 cable is always plugged in. When my broadband is down, I plug in the Jio-Fi without removing WAN cable, if that is what you are asking. I don't remember making any changes on Jio-Fi, although I will check it and get back to you.
Last thing, what's the IP addresses of JioFi & Router, when connected. As my JioFi was using 192.168.1.1, router automatically changed it's IP to 192.168.2.xxx

As in the WAN RJ45 cable is always plugged in. When my broadband is down, I plug in the Jio-Fi without removing WAN cable, if that is what you are asking. I don't remember making any changes on Jio-Fi, although I will check it and get back to you.
Last thing, what's the IP addresses of JioFi & Router, when connected. As my JioFi was using 192.168.1.1, router automatically changed it's IP to 192.168.2.xxx

Sorted today. I need to remove the WAN cable if I want to use the mobile tethering function. This is annoying as there should be an auto-fallback (available as dual WAN in the RT 66U and other more expensive routers).
I always change the default passwords and LAN gateways on my routers. I've found you cannot do that on the JioFi unfortunately. Thanks for your inputs.

Sorted today. I need to remove the WAN cable if I want to use the mobile tethering function. This is annoying as there should be an auto-fallback (available as dual WAN in the RT 66U and other more expensive routers).
I always change the default passwords and LAN gateways on my routers. I've found you cannot do that on the JioFi unfortunately. Thanks for your inputs.
Glad that it got solved. Coming to it, now I remember, I had always used my Jio-Fi only when my main WAN connection was down and never when it was working. So it worked for me by default.

Could someone recommend a good AC router for a price of 12k. Lesser would be better.

I need Gigabit ports for sure. A USB would be a plus.

Ability to download torrents would be nice but really not required.

Glad that it got solved. Coming to it, now I remember, I had always used my Jio-Fi only when my main WAN connection was down and never when it was working. So it worked for me by default.

Thank you, it recognizes both my android phone and Jio for tethering purposes without my having to fiddle with any settings. I do however, have to remove the WAN cable for them to work.

Could someone recommend a good AC router for a price of 12k. Lesser would be better.

I need Gigabit ports for sure. A USB would be a plus.

Ability to download torrents would be nice but really not required.

The same router I'm using should suffice if you don't require the ability to download torrents. Gigabit ports - working at nearly full throughput, USB3 (working at 40mb/s).
If you want a better router with support for Merlin, you could purchase the 66U instead (only has USB2 ports though).

After using this router for a while, it's nothing but rock solid. I've not had to reboot it once (except when applying settings).

Thank you, it recognizes both my android phone and Jio for tethering purposes without my having to fiddle with any settings. I do however, have to remove the WAN cable for them to work.

The same router I'm using should suffice if you don't require the ability to download torrents. Gigabit ports - working at nearly full throughput, USB3 (working at 40mb/s).
If you want a better router with support for Merlin, you could purchase the 66U instead (only has USB2 ports though).

After using this router for a while, it's nothing but rock solid. I've not had to reboot it once (except when applying settings).
Oh ok thanks. That's the RT ac58U right

What about VPN pass through. Another feature I don't see myself using

Oh ok thanks. That's the RT ac58U right

What about VPN pass through. Another feature I don't see myself using
upload_2018-1-22_21-19-22.png

I got the router and set it up. Amazing router
Great!
I think, for under 5K, this is the best router for the money with the feature set it offers. While the chipset isn't the best, or has half the RAM compared to the other high end Asus ones, it is still rock stable and performs without a hitch.

Hi Guys, sorry to bring up this old topic. My old router didn't die as I expected it to and hence, couldn't using it all these years.

Now, it's definitely dead so HAVE to get a new and, since nearly 2 years have passed. Any new routers in the market for similar requirements?

Budget is similar up to Rs 5000/-.

Thanks in advance![DOUBLEPOST=1556465495][/DOUBLEPOST]Added requirement: Can a router having inbuilt capability of downloading torrents fit in my budget?[DOUBLEPOST=1556465598][/DOUBLEPOST]Guest WiFi (is not mandatory but, nice to have)

Last edited:
Hi Guys, sorry to bring up this old topic. My old router didn't die as I expected it to and hence, couldn't using it all these years.

Now, it's definitely dead so HAVE to get a new and, since nearly 2 years have passed. Any new routers in the market for similar requirements?

Budget is similar up to Rs 5000/-.

Thanks in advance![DOUBLEPOST=1556465495][/DOUBLEPOST]Added requirement: Can a router having inbuilt capability of downloading torrents fit in my budget?[DOUBLEPOST=1556465598][/DOUBLEPOST]Guest WiFi (is not mandatory but, nice to have)

Get a basic router and let it do its job, in the meantime, get a RPi used and setup the same for all..

Great!
I think, for under 5K, this is the best router for the money with the feature set it offers. While the chipset isn't the best, or has half the RAM compared to the other high end Asus ones, it is still rock stable and performs without a hitch.
Finally got the Asus 58U! Setting up was a breeze but, I experience next day morning it wasn't working for some reason. Couldn't login the whole day into it. Switched off and on several times. Now again has started working at night. Anyone else experienced this? Any idea what could be wrong?

Finally got the Asus 58U! Setting up was a breeze but, I experience next day morning it wasn't working for some reason. Couldn't login the whole day into it. Switched off and on several times. Now again has started working at night. Anyone else experienced this? Any idea what could be wrong?

Try a hard reset, and update it to the latest firmware. Do you have any electricity issues in your area?
I have had this run for over a month at a time without requiring a reset.

Back