Budget 51-70k Goodbye Macs, going back to Windows

1.5 kg is the max I can go. Latitude 7490/7480 is probably slightly lighter, and Ireally like the understated design.
Lots of ports with the 7490. Non touch will get you good battery. But can you get NvMe though

latitude7490.JPG

Those speeds on SATA are way slower than NVme so transferring big files ??

Good audio and mil spec so durable. Easy t take off the lid upgrade ram to 32 GB if necessary

Why do they stick to proprietary charging ports, USB C is the standard now.

Last edited:
Sorry for late reply, bought LG gram. I kind of know the limitations, but don't need discrete GPU for my work.
Considered XPS/ Zenbook series, but backed out as the RAM is not upgradable in most models, and 16Gig variants are expensive.
So far, it's working decently, but both the keyboard and screen flex a lot. But Jerry's video kind of convinced me.
One thing I wanna ask, forgotten everything about Windows. If I delete the recovery partition, won't I be able to reset from Windows itself if needed? Isn't there an option to wipe and reset somewhere?

Sorry for late reply, bought LG gram. I kind of know the limitations, but don't need discrete GPU for my work.
Why model did you get ? specs and model#

Surprised you went with the gram given your reqs but whatever. Your latitude idea had merit.

But Jerry's video kind of convinced me.
That was a couple years back wasn't it. Where he tosses the thing down the stairs ?

One thing I wanna ask, forgotten everything about Windows. If I delete the recovery partition, won't I be able to reset from Windows itself if needed? Isn't there an option to wipe and reset somewhere?
You don't want to do that. If things get screwed up and you need to do a system reset its there for you.

Bought the it base variant locally (i5, 8GB, 256 GB, 14 inch non touch version) for around 65k, locally from some LG showroom ( not in the Chandni Chawk area)
Since paid in cash, got some discount. The shop keeper was kind enough and instructed another person to open it up and add another 512GB SSD and and 8GB stick for around 7-8k, I picked it up the next day.
Couldn't find any Latitude locally and needed a laptop before leaving Kolkata on 25th.
Can't I do system reset from Windows 10 itself? I believe it's there since windows 8 but I'm not sure.
As far as I can remember Jerry posted another 2 videos in 2018/19 with the newer models.
The first one he stood up on it, and the second one drop it from a flight of stairs.
Sure, latitude would have been a better choice but couldn't really wait.
So far, loving the light weight, its really strange, I'm used to light laptops (both 13 inch and discontinued 11 inch air my wife had) but this is absurdly light and the battery life so far is very very good.
Thanks a lot everyone for your help and suggestions, really appreciate it.
Post automatically merged:

Oh! Forgot the most important thing..the warranty issue...LG India couldn't give me any definite answer at first, but later confirmed they will honour the 3 year on-site warranty in Prague if bought from their store in India, seems little sketchy though as they won't do it if bought online!! I've never heard anything like this before.

Last edited:
Bought the it base variant locally (i5, 8GB, 256 GB, 14 inch non touch version) for around 65k, locally from some LG showroom ( not in the Chandni Chawk area)
Since paid in cash, got some discount. The shop keeper was kind enough and instructed another person to open it up and add another 512GB SSD and and 8GB stick for around 7-8k, I picked it up the next day.
So its 16GB now and 512GB is a good size to have but what is the model number of the laptop ?

14Z _ _ _

What are the next three digits in the blank ? Should say on the box or some system setting

990V, may I ask why? It's on a sticker where MRP etc. are written.
Couple of years back I was so much interested in these smaller things! Had to check the box!! Is it necessary to register it to LG website and do I need to keep the shop's receipt?
With Apple, nothing was required. I'm really disorganized with these things. The last windows laptop I used was a crappy pavillion something, it needed screen replacement twice within a year and they probably asked for the receipt, though it was 10 years ago.

Last edited:
990V, may I ask why? It's on a sticker where MRP etc. are written.
Good, it should say 990 and not 980. as for why, see this review.

Better still would be if the device itself reported it. When you look at control panel under system do you see the number there too ?

Clearly going to the shop was better than buying from amazon if a mere 7-8K doubled storage & memory. That option is not available on amazon and quite frankly it needs to be.

Couple of years back I was so much interested in these smaller things! Had to check the box!!
Well this small thing allows to upgrade memory. Usually its soldered in for Ultrabooks so you have to buy the memory you want. Nice to see LG add options. The 15 incher has two drive bays which is crazy. Not sure if the 14 incher has it as well. Might be too small.

Is it necessary to register it to LG website and do I need to keep the shop's receipt?
With Apple, nothing was required. I'm really disorganized with these things. The last windows laptop I used was a crappy pavillion something, it needed screen replacement twice within a year and they probably asked for the receipt, though it was 10 years ago.
Register it as i would like a confirmation whether this laptop has a 3 yr warranty. 3 yrs !!! never heard of that before.

Always keep the receipt. Scan it and save it some where.

I want you to try a battery test but after a week to find out just how long this thing can go. Not being touch screen adds an hour on top.

It's got a SATA interface instead of NVMe. This does not show much difference in day to day affairs but if you have big files then sequential copying etc is faster. Let us know how you find it for your audio projects. Whether its laggy or not.

I got a Lenovo 730 from the US. 16gb RAM, 512 SSD, 1.1kg. Does all that I want very well. Also switched from a Macbook, after about 9 years. If you can get one from the US, that's a real value laptop.

Again, only USB c, but 3 of them.

@blr_p, yes I actually read that particular review earlier, and completely forgot about it. Yes,it’s 990 and TB3 is present. Yes NVMe would’ve been definitely better, as during initial set up I’ve to transfer one particular huge Kontakt library (Albion 1)
I haven’t been able to install everything yet, only Live 10, Kontakt and Dune 3 ( a soft synth), downloading and installing large programmes is a big PITA, and UVI is not allowing me download previously purchased stuff ( technical issue, will be solved in couple of days) another reason to use pirated stuff.
Regarding performance, the speakers are pathetic, but so far not many lags or latency issue with ASIO driver ( my biggest fear)
One thing, I must admit, the touchpad thing in Windows is much better now and very much usable.
Keyboard is decent, except some flex, it’s very much usable.
Screen is glossy but not very bright , but very good indoors to my untrained eyes ( at least a lot better than old MacBook Airs)
@deepakvrao, yes I’ve read great things about 730, but the USB C dongle is the only reason I left Macs in the first place. I miss Logic everyday. I really could work super fast in it.
Like everyone Protools is the one, I was taught everything, but really loved Logic. You can practically compose / track , mix, master completely inside box.
After a lot of research I have bought Samplitude over Studio One V4! The super easy drag drop thing in StudioOne actually intimidating to me ( like I’m not giving my 100 percent, weird huh!)

Regarding performance, the speakers are pathetic, but so far not many lags or latency issue with ASIO driver ( my biggest fear)
One thing, I must admit, the touchpad thing in Windows is much better now and very much usable.
Keyboard is decent, except some flex, it’s very much usable.
MS precision touch pad that's why its better, the 980 had something else which was not as good.

The biggest thing is 20% bigger battery. 72Wh battery instead of 60 Wh

The camera is now on the top of the screen where it should be instead of pointing at your chin from the bottom.

The charger has been upgraded to 65W instead of 45W. So faster charging.

Lisa said the speakers were not great. Because they are downward facing. There is free space in the laptop so i don't know why LG didn't put beefier ones in there. Some manufacturers refuse front facing speakers. You get these silicone mats you can place over your keyboard and make it spill proof i suppose. Can't do that with front facing speakers.

The screen is improved over the 980 as well. Better sRGB score closer to 100 which you expect at this price point.

Quite a few notable changes between 980 & 990!!

Apparently NVmE heats up more than SATA. So this thing will run cool and silent. If you are not editing huge files then it should be ok on SATA3. Boot times will be almost instant i expect a few seconds from sleep.

The only thing that is weird is the placement of the power button. Above the backspace key. Easier to hit by accident when reaching for back space. Maybe ?

Once you have everything loaded in a week or so follow the instructions here

Post a screen grab with battery bar. Want to see what this thing can do

Last edited:
Sure will do, so far battery seems very good. My old Air is still giving about 6-7 hours with FF browsing (though not more than 15-16 tabs) even more with Safari, but it wouldn't last even 2 hours with 18-20 tracks in Ableton live.
I was working with a 23 audio track project in Ableton yesterday with a lot of plugins (mostly non native) after about 2.5 hours, battery dropped by 40 percent.
If it gives 4 hours with heavy load, that's enough for me.

Small update: This Gram thing is not bad at all, compared to Macs. I do not type much, but the keypad is very decent, so is the trackpad (the trackpads in Windows laptops have improved a lot!!). The screen is very good compared to my old Air. And this thing is really light, it is very difficult to describe the feeling. I am yet to install everything, but Ableton is not recognizing all the previously purchased live packs previously installed in a 256 GB card. Probably will have to download 100gb of data all over again! This is what you get by going legit and spending thousands (probably have not earned half of it by selling music....may be someday....)

The old Air screen is a shame for APple. They should have updated that screen years ago.
Until mobiles & tabs with IPS screens came out this was perfectly acceptable. The screen is ok i would say not bad. Consumes less power. But won't be as vibrant compared to the latest offerings.

There is no good reason to buy a Macbook Air these days unless you want the name and resale value.

Didn't want to create another thread on the same thing.
Now my wife needs a laptop. She probably never owned a Windows machine, but only needs Adobe LR and PS and PowerPoint other than browsing, emails etc. She refused to use a modern smartphone and still uses a beat up BlackBerry and completely dependent on computer for her hobby (photography)
Anything with a quad core chip, at least 8 gigs of RAM and decent screen will do, it only has to be light as we are travelling for next 5 months. No strict budgetary constraint, but NO MACBOOK PRO/ AIR.
Can buy another Gram, but don't want to. How's the MSI P42?

Didn't want to create another thread on the same thing.
Now my wife needs a laptop. She probably never owned a Windows machine, but only needs Adobe LR and PS and PowerPoint other than browsing, emails etc. She refused to use a modern smartphone and still uses a beat up BlackBerry and completely dependent on computer for her hobby (photography)
Anything with a quad core chip, at least 8 gigs of RAM and decent screen will do, it only has to be light as we are travelling for next 5 months. No strict budgetary constraint, but NO MACBOOK PRO/ AIR.
Can buy another Gram, but don't want to. How's the MSI P42?
Waiting for a battery bar screen shot from you of the new LG Gram. Can you follow the instructions here

Sorry man, will do it soon
Post automatically merged:

There you go.

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    328.4 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Back