Google collects Android users’ locations even when location services are disabled

Many people realize that smartphones track their locations. But what if you actively turn off location services, haven’t used any apps, and haven’t even inserted a carrier SIM card?

Even if you take all of those precautions, phones running Android software gather data about your location and send it back to Google when they’re connected to the internet, a Quartz investigation has revealed.

Link

lol. no sim card required. I think from JB days, Google used internet to get fine location of user. You can see that even in browser. Go to google.co.in in mobile browser and you will see location mentioned at bottom of search page.

yes. from your ip, you can get approx location unless you switch on location sharing. pretty regular stuff written with misleading headline for grabbing eyeballs

It is a common knowledge that with smartphones you have no privacy. Not just Google and Apple but also companies who insert their own skin/firmware on top of android.

yes. from your ip, you can get approx location unless you switch on location sharing. pretty regular stuff written with misleading headline for grabbing eyeballs

Google collects the nearby Cell Tower ID(not ur IP address) to know your location all the time and it is not normal.

"When you use Google services, we may collect and process information about your actual location," Google's privacy policy reads.
"We use various technologies to determine location, including IP address, GPS, and other sensors that may, for example, provide Google with information on nearby devices, Wi-Fi access points, and cell towers."

I mean you should assume that google (or any other company which provides free service) will collect all your data whether they tell you or not.
Microsoft probably keyloggs every stroke I type on my keyboard[DOUBLEPOST=1511953587][/DOUBLEPOST]
Google collects the nearby Cell Tower ID(not ur IP address) to know your location all the time and it is not normal.
It knows your approximate location through cell towers but to know your exact location, they probably use gps (along with machine learning)

Yes
Google can track your device location if you are connected to the internet without using sim card or with sim card. the smartphone collects the cell tower location and send it to google. The section of the Google’s Policy that clearly states that the company can collect the location of the person using its products.

Back