Google is recording everything you say.

Paavni Sethi

Recruit
https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/2wzmmr/everything_youve_ever_said_to_siricortana_has/

The above reddit thread has a link to your google voice history. You might be stunned at the thought but google has recorded a lot of things that you didn't authorise it to. In my history I found a conversation between me and my mother when I had no idea that google assistant was active. It is such an attack on my privacy that I feel like throwing away my phone and deactivating facebook.

Any ideas as to how I can know when exactly my mic is turned on and off?

Last edited:
I never want to use any cloud services unless its absolutely necessary. assistants included.

https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/2wzmmr/everything_youve_ever_said_to_siricortana_has/

The above reddit thread has a link to your google voice history. You might be stunned at the thought but google has recorded a lot of things that you didn't authorise it to. In my history I found a conversation between me and my mother when I had no idea that google assistant was active. It is such an attack on my privacy that I feel like throwing away my phone and deactivating facebook.

Any ideas as to how I can know when exactly my mic is turned on and off?

You cannot know when the mic is on or off - to my knowledge there is no way. Unless you want to write a custom Xposed/Magisk module for the same.

Worst case - I would suggest to delete your Facebook [Yes, look it up], Google, Amazon and Apple accounts. All of these use your mic. I am pretty sure Google and Amazon tell you what has been told and you can delete it, while Facebook does not even do that. Apple - I think does not allow access, but I don't use my iphone that much.

Else - If you have an Android phone running 8.1/8.0/7.0 or even 6 you can disable the microphone permissions on per app basis. For Apple, do the same.

If you have a Google Home/Echo device, you need to mute it and use the button to start the device, which defeats the purpose of having one.

Else use a dumb phone. The new phones based on KaiOS ie Jiophone and Nokia too have the assistants built in, but I guess need a button press to activate the assistant.

You cannot know when the mic is on or off - to my knowledge there is no way. Unless you want to write a custom Xposed/Magisk module for the same.

Worst case - I would suggest to delete your Facebook [Yes, look it up], Google, Amazon and Apple accounts. All of these use your mic. I am pretty sure Google and Amazon tell you what has been told and you can delete it, while Facebook does not even do that. Apple - I think does not allow access, but I don't use my iphone that much.

Else - If you have an Android phone running 8.1/8.0/7.0 or even 6 you can disable the microphone permissions on per app basis. For Apple, do the same.

If you have a Google Home/Echo device, you need to mute it and use the button to start the device, which defeats the purpose of having one.

Else use a dumb phone. The new phones based on KaiOS ie Jiophone and Nokia too have the assistants built in, but I guess need a button press to activate the assistant.

Already disabled permissions. Still afraid of those FBI texts popping up.

There is no privacy in this age of technology. Google is recording everything you do. Wherever you go? What you search for? What are your likes? What are your favorite go-to places? So, before saving personal data, you may have a second thought.

Back