Google Is Shutting Down Orkut, On September 30th

ayanavish

- binned -
Skilled
Orkut is closing down in a matter of months, but Google is giving users ample time to export their data. People have until September of 2016 to retrieve their stuff, which comes in the form of a ZIP containing HTML files and JPEGs. Newcomers are not allowed to sign up for an account.

Orkut data available for export using Google Takeout:
  • Your profile
  • Scraps received
  • Testimonials received
  • Activities
  • Your photos
On the day it closes, Google will preserve existing Orkut communities in an online archive. Until then, current users can continue to use the site as usual. Just know that those days are numbered. Farewell, Orkut.

Orkut (Playboard) | Orkut (Play Store)
Source: http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/06/30/google-shutting-orkut-oldest-social-network-september-30th/

Came across Orkut when one of my friends told me, "I will scrap you a joke". I said "what scrap"? And I think it was the first site I came across that needed an invite. There was a mad rush to obtain an invite from anyone.

Orkut will always be remembered. It's like we will tell our children(when we do have any ;) ) that how it all started :D Orkut became really cheap when people started using names like Lover Raju, Cool Dude Rakesh... Then people switched to facebook and tbh now people are shifting to twitter as it has the standards now. Facebook is going cheap aswell.

Back