Google Nexus 7 Does Not Support USB OTG & MHL

RoBoGhOsT

Perambulating
Skilled
Google Nexus 7 Does Not Support USB OTG & MHL

The Nexus 7 doesnt have an HDMI port . But users would expect to get the output on TV using MHL adapter ?

But sadly the tablet won't support MHL (Mobile High-Definition Link) which would allow the USB port to double as an HDMI port . It wont support USB On-The-Go ( OTG ) as well which means one cannot use USB storage .

mhlotg.jpg

The reason behind this lies in the current version of Android which doesnt support these features .

However, it does function as a USB host device, so you can plug certain other peripherals like USB keyboard , mouse etc into the Nexus 7 and have them function.

Source

its actually the current version shipping with the nexus 7 doesnt have these features in the kernel . maybe custom roms can get the support .. google may have not included it intentionally so that users buy the 16gb version..

Google usually doesn't act this stupid :-( The affordable 8gb tab is just 8gb, doesn't have expandable storage, doesn't have usb otg, doesn't have 3g...
How exactly are we supposed to use it then?

Google usually doesn't act this stupid :-( The affordable 8gb tab is just 8gb, doesn't have expandable storage, doesn't have usb otg, doesn't have 3g...
How exactly are we supposed to use it then?
MIght be they just want to concentrate on ebooks line and surfing.They want to kill the kindle with cheaper alternative.

I believe it can fixed by installing custom kernels (once they are available). However, Google should have done better.

USB OTG as a feature was not present in Galaxy Nexus as well. You had to root it to get this feature. So, it should be possible to get USB OTG on Nexus 7 as well since the hardware IS present.
Sadly, from what I can understand MHL hardware is NOT present. If that is the case, custom roms won't help with TV out.

I don't think Google is stupid enough to drop support for OTG entirely from the OS as that would be one of the sure shot ways to get android killed.

...may be it (Google) is again experimenting with the idea of running everything from web (which is a lame idea IMO) .. just like there chrome books ..

^Lol. Who knows maybe we can expect them to wake up and do something about it. Also if you notice Asus has tablets in and around that range that supports these features and more. It probably might be an internal agreement to allow asus to have the upper hand in certain areas.

Buy the funbook for that. 6k :p

Personally i checked funbook at reliance digital.

Its viewing angle wasnt any great stuff.Plus in videos when you fast forward there was hanging trouble.Now i am not sure whether it was related to format trouble or not.But such things one doesnt like.I loved playing on sony s tablet much than any stuff there.

Personally i checked funbook at reliance digital.

Its viewing angle wasnt any great stuff.Plus in videos when you fast forward there was hanging trouble.Now i am not sure whether it was related to format trouble or not.But such things one doesnt like.I loved playing on sony s tablet much than any stuff there.

It's 6k. What viewing angles were you expecting?

Anyways, I look at my screen straight (who doesn't) so viewing angles don't concern me.

And regarding videos. I played 720p mkv videos using USB OTG and scrubbed randomly and I was surprised by the instant playback. Same with youtube videos (after update) and TED (so online videos also covered). Videos aren't any problem.

Back