Gorilla fan vs Superfan vs BEE 5 Star fans

jammy420

Adept
Do anyone have practical experience with these fans?

1. Gorilla fan
2. SuperFan
3. Any BEE 5 star rated fans

My questions are:

1) do they help you in reducing electricity bills?
2) do they give sufficient air?

I have bought Gorilla Fans for my flat. They do work well and in fact, air flow is better than any sub Rs 2000 conventional fan. Do note that I had to replace two of them in the middle due to an issue (making sound), but the replacements are working fine so far. These are actually BLDC fans meaning that they have a DC motor that operates at 24V. DC rather than 220V AC. The fan itself takes in 220V AC and converts it to DC. The AC-DC converter can operate wide range of 110-285V. So another key point is that even if you suffer low voltage, the fan speed would not reduce unlike AC fans which reduce speed when voltage is lowered. This also means that conventional fan regulators which control speed by reducing voltage won't work with these fans. They come with a remote with which can increase/decrease the speed.

These fans consume 28W at highest speed and 7W at the lowest.

I have bought Gorilla Fans for my flat. They do work well and in fact, air flow is better than any sub Rs 2000 conventional fan. Do note that I had to replace two of them in the middle due to an issue (making sound), but the replacements are working fine so far. These are actually BLDC fans meaning that they have a DC motor that operates at 24V. DC rather than 220V AC. The fan itself takes in 220V AC and converts it to DC. The AC-DC converter can operate wide range of 110-285V. So another key point is that even if you suffer low voltage, the fan speed would not reduce unlike AC fans which reduce speed when voltage is lowered. This also means that conventional fan regulators which control speed by reducing voltage won't work with these fans. They come with a remote with which can increase/decrease the speed.

Are the remotes standard IR blasters? or are they some other protocol?

Any idea do they charge for replacement.?

I have to go with Super fan or Gorilla fan.

Super Fan based out of Coimbatore, from my state which makes sorting out any issue easier. Gorilla fan is based out of Mumbai, but Gorilla consumption is lesser by a few watts. It has a timer and sleep mode, which is why I consider it. but if it had to be replaced, then it is a concern

Gorilla Fans in their page claim nationwide service network. any idea about it?

Last edited:
Any idea do they charge for replacement.?

I have to go with Super fan or Gorilla fan.

Super Fan based out of Coimbatore, from my state which makes sorting out any issue easier. Gorilla fan is based out of Mumbai, but Gorilla consumption is lesser by a few watts. It has a timer and sleep mode, which is why I consider it. but if it had to be replaced, then it is a concern

Gorilla Fans in their page claim nationwide service network. any idea about it?

Once you request replacement, they send out the replacement unit which takes a couple of days and the same courier picks up the faulty product. Obviously, no charge for it. There is a 3 year warranty period.

Gorilla fans have lots of faults in them according to amazon india reviews. lots of people complaining of burnt pcb or faults. looks like no quality testing for components.

Gorilla fans have lots of faults in them according to amazon india reviews. lots of people complaining of burnt pcb or faults. looks like no quality testing for components.

Compared to other BLDC fans like Superfan, Gorillla fans have significantly better user feedback. In fact, They are better than any of the conventional fans available these days which are not lasting more than an year without running into issues.

Thanks for the feedbacks from both superfan/gorilla fan users . How is the air delivery compared with regular fans ? Will I get the same as regular fans?

1200mm vs 1400mm depends on room size? This fan is for 12' * 11'

Should I go with 1200 or 1400?

I have 2 gorilla fans 1200mm and 1400mm. Both give a lot of air with 1400mm giving more, but 1400mm has higher air friction noise at speed 2 or more compared to 1200mm. I used the 1400mm in my 12.5x11.5 room, since the bed is in the corner of the room. So if your bed is in center or right below the fan the 1200mm is more then enough.
Currently in bangalore it's raining since a week or so and the temperature is quite low, in this scenario the 1400mm fan at the speed 1 does better to recirculate the air and mild breeze at speed 1 its quiet.

If you buy white or ivory color you can see the dust in the blade tips after a month of use. the 1200mm Gorilla that i bought is earth brown which hides the dust.

Also bought a Jupitor 4 blade fan which turned to be a disappointment it was noisy, with higher bearing noise, air noise and even worse air flow then my 210cfm regular 5 star fan, returned it and bought the 1400mm gorilla.

Also bought a Orient Aero BLDC which is way more silent and attracts very less dust. But costs close to 7k. In a perfect world I would have to have all my fans replaced with this.

Last edited:
Nice. I didn't know any mainstream brands had bldc options. In my experience, the overall best fans were crompton followed by orient. The aero looks amazing in pics. Is it as good in real life? I would say spending 4k more is worth it for a one time investment. At least in the good ole days, fans used to last a decade or two easily. Only needed to change the capacitor once a year or two.

Any other top tier brands with bldc?

Orient, havells, crompton and USHA all have BLDC fans. Orient have around 4 models or so in BLDC, rest all have just 1 model and even though launched are hard to find online or in market.

The aero looks just as good in real life I have both the regular Induction Aeroquiet and the Aeroquiet BLDC version. I use the Aeroquiet induction in the Tv room and BLDC version in the Bedroom. The remote of Gorilla is superior to that of Orient fans. Also the speed step of Orient Aero BLDC is completely Linear meaning each step starts of where the previous ends, where as in the Gorilla each speed is higher compared to Orient and also the speed step from speed 1 to speed 2 in Gorilla is much higher compared to Orient.

I feel subjectively at max speed the gorilla may have a slightly higher airflow but aero because of its blade design spreads the air flow like a conical shape from the fan above, meaning you don't exactly need to be right below the fan to get the air.

I have been told that the Aerostorm and Aerocool have even higher spread and airflow, but sadly don't come in BLDC.

One issue was the Aero BLDC version the wires where short and could barely reach the topside of the fan rod pipe that heads towards the ceiling, so had to use a separate terminal connector and a separate wire , the induction version of the Aeroquite had short wires but it had a terminal. The person who cut the wire in the factory cut it short for the BLDC version.

In my regular 210cfm 5 star fan from usha and crompton, the usha has a bit more air. The orient and crompton fans of the 1980 era that I had (now kept in storage) are built like a tank and they give as good a air as the gorilla fans but they are quieter in terms of winds blade noise (but the induction fans have the magnetic induced sound of the coil, which is present even in the Aeroquiet regular induction version at the lowest speed although you can only hear them in middle of the night with absolutely nil ambient noise).

PS: All the fans where assembled and installed all by myself, with help from my dad for lifting it up.

Last edited:
Orient, havells, crompton and USHA all have BLDC fans. Orient have around 4 models or so in BLDC, rest all have just 1 model and even though launched are hard to find online or in market.

The aero looks just as good in real life I have both the regular Induction Aeroquiet and the Aeroquiet BLDC version. I use the Aeroquiet induction in the Tv room and BLDC version in the Bedroom. The remote of Gorilla is superior to that of Orient fans. Also the speed step of Orient Aero BLDC is completely Linear meaning each step starts of where the previous ends, where as in the Gorilla each speed is higher compared to Orient and also the speed step from speed 1 to speed 2 in Gorilla is much higher compared to Orient.

I feel subjectively at max speed the gorilla may have a slightly higher airflow but aero because of its blade design spreads the air flow like a conical shape from the fan above, meaning you don't exactly need to be right below the fan to get the air.

I have been told that the Aerostorm and Aerocool have even higher spread and airflow, but sadly don't come in BLDC.

One issue was the Aero BLDC version the wires where short and could barely reach the topside of the fan rod pipe that heads towards the ceiling, so had to use a separate terminal connector and a separate wire , the induction version of the Aeroquite had short wires but it had a terminal. The person who cut the wire in the factory cut it short for the BLDC version.

In my regular 210cfm 5 star fan from usha and crompton, the usha has a bit more air. The orient and crompton fans of the 1980 era that I had (now kept in storage) are built like a tank and they give as good a air as the gorilla fans but they are quieter in terms of winds blade noise (but the induction fans have the magnetic induced sound of the coil, which is present even in the Aeroquiet regular induction version at the lowest speed although you can only hear them in middle of the night with absolutely nil ambient noise).

PS: All the fans where assembled and installed all by myself, with help from my dad for lifting it up.

Awesome write-up!

Q1. Any idea where the aeros are manufactured?
Q2. Is the quiet really noticeably quieter than the storm and cool?

I remember, when i was in oman, there was some made in japan fan there, don't remember the name. it was functionally just like any other fan, but the damn bearings! After switching it off, it would be slowly spinning even after many minutes. Maybe 5-10, i kid you not!

They are made in India, Haryana . Orient has indian patent pending. The design looks very similar to haiku fans sold in the Usa and other countries which cost as high as $600 or more.

It is quieter, they do still make sound. But I know for a fact that I now listen tv with much lower volume. Just don't expect it to make no noise at all. The bldc version is much quieter since it has nil sound coming from the motor winding. For induction fans even regulator plays a role in sound.

Since I don't own a Aerostorm and Aerocool, I cannot say which is quieter, but they have a much higher air flow said to be highest in India, they have a larger sweep 1320mm vs 1200mm of Aeroquiet

The mainstream brands seems to have better bearings, gorilla is using a indian made bearing, having bought fan from most companies usha, crompton, orient, gorilla and others, new comers can certainly use better bearings .

Usha is said to have launched a bldc fan with japanese Nidec made bldc motor, couldn't find a single dealer who had it, usha even otherwise use excellent bearings as does orient or crompton.

In induction fan, one could spin the fan motor by hand to check the bearing but not the case with Bldc fans which have magnets, so they don't spin past a few rotations by hand, they feel notchy. They also stop fast after switching off power, they never spin when outside wind blow through the window or door.

Just bought a Gorilla 1200mm bldc fan since it was on sale (as usual @ around 3045.60? or something).

Was thinking from a long time to buy one of these fans. Bought one today afer reading in news paper that discoms increased their prices.

MSEDCL and TataPower rates go up
look at MSEDCL rates. That's my power company. Load shedding every week and these rates. :S

We use the hall fan most.. so replaced just that and changed our 1997 refrigerator with 4 star lg 190l ... saving 200 units per month . Not sure how many units are saved by fridge and how many by fan , as we bought both same time

bldc would use less amount like 28W whereas the fridge would be around 80W or such compared to normal fan of 75W and normal fridge of 100W. So i think changing fan will save more energy than changing fridge since fan is always on 24/7 whereas fridge takes some rest every now and then for few hours.

No. They ate the whole money without burping and made me pay 70 rupees extra. That 7k I paid, they divided it between July and August saying they don't have proof how much I used because meter got changed.

I decided to reduce electricity usage as much as possible now to get my usage below 100 units per month. Nothing else I can do.

Government companies are the biggest theives here imo. Everyone is guilty in their eyes.

Back