Government foils Apple's plan to dump used iPhones in India

In IOS6, the speaker volume was audible enough to understand speech. After iOS7 update, ear buds became necessary.
Probably your iPhone was defective

I had to update the OS because, apps that need to synch data like Facebook, mail stopped working if I don't. The app will open, but the sync will not succeed. Once the OS is updated, it would start working again
I am on iOS 8 (latest is iOS 9). Both FB and mail app absolutely work fine.

bro I remember you buying multi gpu multi hard drive and other bleeding edge hardware for your setup. Were those necessary? Can't you achieve a little less performance with little less money to pacify your needs. Sure you can, but you decided to go for the best money can buy, to enjoy content at best possible experience. I bet you still have a killer rig, what if someone label you based on your purchase? I am sustaining my needs off of a RPI3 though a bit laggy at times, I find it highly amusing and awesome for the size and performance it packs. I am happy so was I when I owned a high end rig.

Do you remember me ever having spent on a multi GPUs with the highest end GPU's? Do you ever remember me going for the highest end processor that costs 3x of the next lower one? I could easily afford them, but I didn't and still don't. Why would you think that is? because I believe in getting value for what I spend. Just because I could afford to spend doesn't mean that I need to spend it. My current PC is from 2011 with some parts dating back to 2006. I don't see a need to upgrade it and so I don't.

Costly does not equate to quality and I don't see quality or value in an iPhone. Having used most of their products, I found that they don't offer anything in return for the premium that they charge. In fact, the same applies for Samsung Galaxy series too these days
Unlike iPhone, it does have everything that I need, but I do not think its worth 60K+ and my requirements are satisfied by a phone that costs less than half of that. that's why I stopped buying Samsung.

Of course people can spend on whatever they want to. I have always defended that. If you are earning the money, you are free to spend it on whatever you want. At the same time, If I see something stupid, I reserve the right to call them stupid. If a guy buys an iPhone for 1.5 Lac only to use it for nothing more than making phone calls. he could just as well do it because its his money, but I reserve the right to call him an idiot. If another guy sees this first guy and tries to ape him despite not having the finances, Of course he is free to sell a kidney to fund his purchase if he is so inclined, but I reserve the right to call him an idiot too.

Like how are they going to manage that? There are basically 3 types of takers for iPhone's
  • Rich idiots who just buy things based on cost just to show that they can buy costly things. They buy it even when it costs 1.5 Lac on ebay without any understanding what they are buying and they are the kind who have regularly bought older iterations of iPhone's thinking they are the new versions. Earlier sellers used to take advantage of this. Whenever a new iPhone gets released, they used to list the older models at high prices on ebay hoping that these idiots would end up buying them and they succeed too.
  • Not so rich idiots who want to want to pretend or show off that they too fall into the first group by buying what ever the above group buys even if it breaks their or their parents banks.
  • People who need an easy to use multimedia phone with a few smart phone like features and buy iPhone's with full understanding of its capabilities and limitations.
People who really need capable smartphones won't touch an iPhone with a 50 foot pole. My own sister chose to buy an Galaxy S6 Edge despite having a free iPhone 6s (which is also upgraded for free every year) at her disposal. Even a sub 10k Chinese android device would be more capable than an iPhone.

People who do understand and buy iPhones for its minimalist feature set and capabilities are rare. So that leaves the rich and the wannabes which has always been the main market in India and for that matter, that was also the main intended target user base for iPhone all over the world. Apple has basically built a cheaper version of what Vertu phones used to be.

So is selling refurbished phones really such a good idea keeping that in mind? iPhone has already lost its novelty factor and on top of that, if the first group knows that there are refurbished units are in circulation and anybody get them cheap, their own purchase would have no value and they will look for something else to buy. And if the first group stops buying, the second group would have no reason to buy them. The only group it would be attractive to would be the last group and I doubt there would be many of them to offset losing their main market.

So what would make them do that? Companies like these are bound by regulatory obligations in US (and maybe in some other markets as well) that they would be responsible for recycling of certain volume of e-waste in proportion to the volume of stuff they manufacture and sell. The waste they recycle does not need to be theirs. So currently, they end up paying large amounts of money to recycling outfits to procure and recycle waste on their behalf. I guess selling refurbished phones can also count towards recycling numbers.

What an idiotic post. This guy either wants to flame bait, biased or wants to keep his head underground.

Every device have their pros and cons. But this post is just moronic and have no substance.

Note: I currently use iphone 6s, ipad pro, galaxy s7 edge, asus zenphone. All of them. I am happy with each of them. My daily driver is the iphone.

Probably your iPhone was defective

Its an iPad and its a commonly reported issue after the iOS7 upgrade. You can google for it. The solutions didn't work to satisfaction though. I don't have any evidence to think that the speaker is at fault. How did a perfectly working speaker go bad as soon as I upgraded to iOS7. Unless the OS update somehow managed to damage the speaker at a hardware level

I am on iOS 8 (latest is iOS 9). Both FB and mail app absolutely work fine.

It works fine for iOS8, didn't work with iOS6/7.[DOUBLEPOST=1462452002][/DOUBLEPOST]

What an idiotic post. This guy either wants to flame bait, biased or wants to keep his head underground.

Every device have their pros and cons. But this post is just moronic and have no substance.

Note: I currently use iphone 6s, ipad pro, galaxy s7 edge, asus zenphone. All of them. I am happy with each of them. My daily driver is the iphone.

I don't see any "substance" in your post either. So you are happy with all of them, good for you.

My sister too has a iPhone 6s and she is not happy with it and bought her own phone. For me its, not even a question since I know it doesn't satisfy my requirements which is why I refused to take the iPhone offered by my company.

As for Pro's and Con's, it might qualify for a fine media phone, but its pitched as a smartphone which it doesn't quality for. As for quality or service that people claim, I have not seen quality or service over any other brand to justify a premium. My measure of quality is that you don't need to avail service in the first place and the iPad 2 is the only device that came close to requiring service out of all the devices that I bought. My general experience with Apple products has been bad.

90% of the iPhone/iPad users that I met fall into the first and second categories that I listed. It is not a coincidence. Accumulating such a user base was intentional and a brilliant strategy by Steve Jobs and he went to extraordinary lengths to achieve that.

An easily exploitable user base that has no sense of quality apart from measuring it in terms of cost, have no clue what they need and would buy things that they have no need off. That sums up the majority of the Apple ecosystem. I am not denying that there are people who understand the limitations and still buy into the Eco system, but you are a minority and you are not the real intended target.

During the early days of the App Store, when somebody created a dummy app that literally does nothing and listed it for $999 on the app store, 10 people bought it before it was removed within a day. It itself should make it clear what kind of user base Apple has accumulated here.

Last edited:
Just like Lord Nemesis I haven't had a good experience with iOs and have always preferred Android devices. Personally I have faced more FCs on an iPhone than on an Android phone. Yes an iPhone usually doesn't lag but that's the only good thing about all. All it's other limitations had made me continue using Android. I have been using this OPO for a year and a half now and haven't faced any lags on it, so Android has definitely come a long way. Not to mention, the insane customization benefits it comes with.
However, I have no problem with other people buying Apple products even if they seem over priced to me. Hell, I even sold a 6+ for 1.2L.
Just because people buy premium products, doesn't mean they are stupid. What good is earning money if it can't make you happy. Would you call Mark Cuban a stupid man because he bought a basketball team or any other millionaire who prefer their own plane. Yes, a First class ticket would be more VFM, but some people are looking for comfort.
Once you are used to an ecosystem you definitely feel more comfortable sticking with it, and if people are willing to pay more for the comfort, then there's nothing wrong with it.

Refurb phone imports - next 2nd hand cars will follow. We have seen enough dumping. Selling refurb products that are made in this country is OK, why bring in stuff that is made elsewhere & those others have rejected - Apple wanted to sell those phones that they take back after 1 year of use. "Refurb" in context of Apple's proposal is BS. For a change Govt has done the right thing.

Just because people buy premium products, doesn't mean they are stupid. What good is earning money if it can't make you happy. Would you call Mark Cuban a stupid man because he bought a basketball team or any other millionaire who prefer their own plane. Yes, a First class ticket would be more VFM, but some people are looking for comfort.
Once you are used to an ecosystem you definitely feel more comfortable sticking with it, and if people are willing to pay more for the comfort, then there's nothing wrong with it.
I don't think he called every IOS device owner stupid. Its just that majority of them he faced were, which may or may not be applicable to the entire user base. His issue to which I agree as well is the idiotic excuses given by Apple e.g. making existing products costlier to justify selling a product at 1.5 price as affordable.
I agree with you that people are free to spend their money as they wish. However, in your example, if a millionaire spends the same money that a private jet costs on a first class ticket, you gotta be amused at his/her decision.

Just like Lord Nemesis I haven't had a good experience with iOs and have always preferred Android devices. Personally I have faced more FCs on an iPhone than on an Android phone. Yes an iPhone usually doesn't lag but that's the only good thing about all. All it's other limitations had made me continue using Android. I have been using this OPO for a year and a half now and haven't faced any lags on it, so Android has definitely come a long way. Not to mention, the insane customization benefits it comes with.
However, I have no problem with other people buying Apple products even if they seem over priced to me. Hell, I even sold a 6+ for 1.2L.
+1
Well said.

iPhone is iPhone. Refurbs will sell like crazy here since it'll be priced lower than a new one.
Define "lesser" dude. Even 1re less can be said to be lesser. An example but not an exaggeration.
Knowing how Apple price their products in India it might be better to simply get a new one. But i guess we won't know it anymore haha. They are not going to want to keep it really low and I believe in their opinions "affordability" is different from our own. Look at Amazon's pricing of refurbs. No way will anyone buy them. But hoping their refurbs are as good as claimed and price reasonable.

Last edited:
Yes. Butt hurt at an idiotic post. I am crying.

The truth always hurts some people. I cannot do anything about that. I can only state the facts as they are. So go ahead and cry your heart out if that is what you want to do. I don't even understand why some people are so butt hurt over it.

As I said there there 3 kinds of buyers for iPhone's (assuming the developers also fit into the third kind) and their primary target is the first two types that I mentioned. I also did not deny that there are a small number of people who do realize the capabilities and limitations of their devices and still buy into them for various reasons, but they are a minority they are not the main target. And its also up to you which group you want to put yourself into. But the bottom line is that they want people who would buy stuff they don't need year after year. This strategy was not even iPhone related. It started way before that.

In 90's, after near bankruptcy of Apple and Steve Jobs taking over again, he changed the focus of the company. The pro user community was definitely supportive of Apple, but they also didn't back way from criticizing them vehemently when they do something wrong and also by not buying bad products. Steve Jobs didn't want the fate of his company to be in the hands of such a user community that thinks and acts on their own. They used the brand name that they already had and targeted non tech savy (novice) users and used marketing campaigns to draw on their attention. The general pattern and gist of such marketing to sum it up is "You are an idiot if you are not using our products". Over time, the focus on the pro community was gradually reduced.

The iPhone was a major opportunity to build a user base that fit his intent that is what they did. They wanted people who would buy into marketing and repeatedly buy products (even products that they have no use for) year after year. By 2007/2008, the focus on Mac OS X and functionality required by pro users were severely diminished. During OS X Leopard development, most of their OS team was deputed for iOS. OS X was least priority on their list. By Snow leopard, the pro user communities didn't even matter to them any more. Most of the OS X team was deputed to iOS again and OS X was low priority. Snow Leopard was buggy as hell. During pre-release testing, I myself reported several bugs that affected the publishing industry. None of them were fixed. Publishing industry enterprises in particular cannot stand for such nonsense. News paper/magazine enterprises for instance have precise workflows in place to get their out each day on time and they cannot stand for bugs that affect them and soon companies which could migrate started migrating to Windows.

By this time, the transition was almost complete. The general iPhone marketing was designed to appeal to the vanity their audience. Year after year, this is the greatest product ever made and you are either an idiot if you do not buy it or too poor to afford it and they taunted them into buying. It is the perfect psychological attack. Remember the iPad marketing. The marketing guy goes "Its magical", the a potential buyer from their user base who go "It's just magical" and he would not be able to say a single line about what's really magical about it or at least how he is going to put it to use.

Further, these kind of buyers serve as Apple's own private army. Once they buy, they have to defend their purchase at all costs. They go around giving negative ratings to any competing product that threatens the sanity of their own choice. When SP4 launched, majority of the poor ratings were not from genuine buyers who faced issues, but Apple fans whose ego was threatened. Ever seen how somebody who has a genuine problem with an Apple product is treated if he criticizes the product or the company? He is demeaned and discarded. They would not even accept that has said product let alone that he has a problem. It has to be a perfect flawless product because they happened to believe the marketing and purchased it.

Is no one going to discuss impact of dumping old phones (and other electronics) in third world countries? Wasn't that Apple's plan here?

Apple is not the only one doing it and its definitely not going to stop with Apple. In a way, our protectionist economy is responsible for this.

^^^

I am ok with bearing your idiotic posts to a limit. Not after that. So please take this as a warning and spew crap elsewhere Einstein.

Post reported for being an a-hole.

Go right ahead. My posts were all related to the topic regardless of what you think. You are the one who quotes a post and writes single word. Care to explain how its meaningful to the discussion and why even quote the post to write a single word.

As I said, if you have nothing related to add, just shut up and read the comments as you intended

Frankly, I cannot even understand why people like you get so hurt. Do you picture yourself as an Idiot that belongs to the first two groups? Can you even deny that most of the iPhone users that you see don't use their phones past the most basic functions? They cannot even tell you what they want in a phone or why an iPhone is relevant for them. That is the kind of user base that Apple wanted and got.

^^ Thanks for the advice. Are you really liking it?

Frankly, though, I don't understand why you are so hurt or why you think my post is incorrect.

I didn't call every iPhone user an idiot, but the user base is primarily made if people who have no clue how to use such a phone or why they even need one and that is exactly what Apple was aiming for. They built an easily and repeatedly exploitable user base.

Yes, you may have a good experience with their products, but that doesn't mean they are flawless and trouble free in general for everyone. I have used various Apple products for 12 years, interacted with their developers and developer support and experienced the bad and the ugly side of their products and the support that they use PR to cover.

FYI, my present company makes about GBP 25 million/year in revenues from iPhone/iPad. We get no where close from Android. Yet, we get more bug and other issue reports from Android users while we get little to none from Apple users. Apple user base has no eye for quality. They spend money, but don't even see whether they are getting their money's worth. That's why Apple and App developers love to have such a user base.

[DOUBLEPOST=1462476664][/DOUBLEPOST]Lastly, here is a news item that I came across this very morning

https://consumerist.com/2016/05/04/overheated-iphone-burns-through-12-pages-of-notebook-paper/

I didn't use it to say that Apple is crappy because I don't honestly believe its proof of that. Such things can happen once in a while to every brand. Yet, think what an Apple Fanboi would typically do if he comes across a similar news about another product.

Last edited:
Is no one going to discuss impact of dumping old phones (and other electronics) in third world countries? Wasn't that Apple's plan here?
Yes except the "dumping" already started with the massive (in terms of millions FWI) influx of cheap junk from China long ago. As someone already mentioned earlier blocking Apple refurbs for "e-waste" is nothing but bs. But what do you expect this incompetent govt. to do anyway.

The % of electronic waste increasing if apple was allowed to sell their second hand phones is negligible in my opinion. Secondly those second hand phones would not be priced dirt cheap, they will be still costly.

Is there any reliable data that suggests refurbished phones emit more radiation than the newer ones? (irrespective of make).
If yes, its a good decision by govt.
If no, Apple should apply again or go to SC.

BTW there are lots of people selling refurbished Apple phones by other means like ebay, olx anyway. So only stopping Apple from selling refurbished phones directly, is like depriving the end user of the Apple care services and peace of mind,in spite of paying a comparable amount. Apple should be allowed to sell refurbished phones IMHO.

Last edited:
^true. I was wondering if Apple would engage with an independent seller and sell their products on their behalf like those ebay sellers.

Even second hand imported cars are banned. Roads and external conditions being better the imported cars age much better than similarly aged cars locally. Does that mean importing 2nd hand cars should be allowed?

Going by that policy I feel it's OK that the government hasn't allowed apple to sell refurbished imported phones here.

As for the os it depends the purpose used.

My mom could use a 512 mb ram micromax canvas phone without any issues coz she used it only for whatsapp and calling. When we introduced her to shopping apps and watching HD movies,thats when she started to feel the need for an upgrade.

Back