Government to invest $10 bn in chip manufacturing units

Stating facts is neither being pessimistic or ignorant, like you yourself said continue living in your "small dream world", noone cares.
Improve your argument instead of letting passion and patriotism cloud your opinion and please dont resort to name-calling.

First they'll have to come up with chip design from scratch which is no easy task, next they'll need their own foundry if they plan on making it here which in itself requires years of experience and developments of processes to get proper yields, not to say 10 billion is loose change to build one.
No, i think they are trying to incentivise foreign companies to move their chip fabs and any other factories to India. From where ? China.

Who wants to ship out of China ? Japan. Who else can be attracted ? Korea.

This is not about reinventing the wheel. make in india will be more about assemble in india at the outset. Its a vision that leads to make in india later down the road whenever it happens. This is how China did it.

The foundation has to be built first instead of the top floor which this govt. seems to not understand, just like their plan to spend 10 billion on a single bullet train line while we still flush sh*t directly onto the tracks in other trains.
Make the components in india and others will learn. making them in india makes them cheaper to buy as there is less duty. Start to make more of those components in india. and indias big price sensitive market becomes more attractive. if you have a head start you lock it up for your products.

No company will put up the up front costs to kickstart it, so the govt steps in.

Last edited:
China has an inter-dependent electronics industry and it's pretty much unbeatable because of the cheap labor. That's the reason even basic items like decorative lights are sourced from there, it's not like people in India can't string together cheap incandescent lights on a wire but they can never match the prices. What you said is right but China did it ages back and it won't happen here until they get wiped out by Ebola or something.

China has an inter-dependent electronics industry and it's pretty much unbeatable because of the cheap labor. That's the reason even basic items like decorative lights are sourced from there, it's not like people in India can't string together cheap incandescent lights on a wire but they can never match the prices. What you said is right but China did it ages back and it won't happen here until they get wiped out by Ebola or something.

I like the way you take things positively.:D

@psyph3r
Guess who they call the Father of Pentium.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinod_Dham

Last edited:
Any investment is a good thing (provided it is handled with some care). Even if it doesn't meet the stated goals, you end up with a lot of trained people who can continue the same work in other companies. CDOT and CDAC sound like boring govt firms now but they played a key role in bootstrapping the indian software industry.

Considering the difficulty Indian companies face in dealing with global chip manufacturers, I would love it if we can manufacture some locally.

I like the way you take things positively.:D
Guess who they call the Father of Pentium.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinod_Dham

Exactly, citizenship not listed as India anymore either, it was one of the points i wanted to make, who'd work for peanuts with that skill level here when they can make 10 times the amount overseas.
Even the max pay at our "premier" institutions like ISRO & DRDO doesn't go over 1L pm, who'd work at those salaries with that skill level in this day and age.

First they'll have to come up with chip design from scratch which is no easy task, next they'll need their own foundry if they plan on making it here which in itself requires years of experience and developments of processes to get proper yields, not to say 10 billion is loose change to build one.
Sorry to tell you this, A lot of this stuff already happens in India. for example Intel Bangalore, AMD Hyderabad, Xylinx, Broadcomm, Nokia/TexasInstruments etc. etc. etc...
Designing a chip is different from taping it out to foundry. designing doesnt require chip manufacturing facilities. Now a days chip designing is done by globally distributed teams.

India badly needs foundries because all the above mentioned companies tape out the designs to china to get the manufacturing done. There was one supposed to come near shamshabad Hyderabad 10 years ago. but thanks to the govt it never happened.
Btw, if you research into the Agni missile development, all the chips used in that system are designed and manufactured in India because of the sanctions.
Allow me to introduce you guys the great Samputer built by the great Sampoornesh Babu.
Sampoornesh babu is a legend. Thanks for sharing the link.

Sorry to tell you this, A lot of this stuff already happens in India. for example Intel Bangalore, AMD Hyderabad, Xylinx, Broadcomm, Nokia/TexasInstruments etc. etc. etc...

Again, all major private players with decades of experience not a govt. undertaking, they already have something to build on.

it's just that we don't trust such initiatives from the govt. to bear fruit.
you are wrong.

See, manufacturing chips and electronics is completely different from designing them.
just like pininfarina designing the car and ferrari manufacturing it. We need fabrication facilities for manufacturing and mass production. Thats what govt is doing. For example, Intel designs the chips and sends the tapes to china for manufacturing. Now if India has fab units they may chose to do that in India. that is a great way to earn dollars. It has nothing to do with chip level designing.

And to add to that, India has a lot of skilled labor to achieve that.

you are wrong.

See, manufacturing chips and electronics is completely different from designing them.
just like pininfarina designing the car and ferrari manufacturing it. We need fabrication facilities for manufacturing and mass production. Thats what govt is doing. For example, Intel designs the chips and sends the tapes to china for manufacturing. Now if India has fab units they may chose to do that in India. that is a great way to earn dollars. It has nothing to do with chip level designing.

And to add to that, India has a lot of skilled labor to achieve that.

Did you even read the article ? Yes i knw abt design companies but it's difficult for us to build a fab without the technical expertise.
There are only 3-4 major foundries (TSMC, Glofo, Samsung, etc) and they too have had decades of a headstart.
P.S. Intel has it's own fabs as doesn't need to send tapes anywhere, i doubt if they even have a fab in China, most of them are in the US and Israel iirc.

Did you even read the article ? Yes i knw abt design companies but it's difficult for us to build a fab without the technical expertise.
There are only 3-4 major foundries (TSMC, Glofo, Samsung, etc) and they too have had decades of a headstart.
fab doesnt mean it has to be a 14nm chip manufacturing facility only... There are so many other things that dont require that kind of foundries. LCDs, LEDs, smd components, the list is endless...

P.S. Intel has it's own fabs as doesn't need to send tapes anywhere, i doubt if they even have a fab in China, most of them are in the US and Israel iirc.
when you say processor, Intel is not the only one in the market.
on top of my head I can think of... AllWinner, Rockchip, Kirin, broadcomm and apart from these there are so many itegrated chips that are not processors and are manufactured in china/hongkong/taiwan.

remember few years back the segate and wd prices shot up because there were floods in taiwan.

you should really see some youtube videos about shenzen city in china. you will be amazed.

I didn't say it has to be cutting edge, you only brought up Intel. Sure there are different electronic components but you'd have to be mad to think we can even remotely match the prices offered by the Chinese.

because there were floods in taiwan.

Thailand ;)

you should really see some youtube videos about shenzen city in china. you will be amazed.

Same Shenzen where facilities need to have suicide nets to prevent employees from jumping to their deaths ?
You should watch Samsara, there's a scene where they show an assembly line for irons in a Chinese factory, one of the guys has the awesome job of just putting them in a plastic bag all day, probably happy to do it for 10hrs a day, 6 days a week for the amazing amount of 100$ a month.
Jump to the 47 min mark and see for yourself, we can't really match that cheap labor force.
http://documentarylovers.com/film/samsara/

I don't really wan't to argue over this, let's wait and watch and come back to this thread when he hear of any advancements, i'd like to be proven wrong.

Last edited:
Back