Car & Bike Government to make ABS mandatory on motorcycles and scooters in India

AMG

Skilled
The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways is planning various measures to make driving/riding conditions safer on Indian roads. One of the measure proposed by the ministry is to mandate the installation of anti-lock braking system (ABS) on all motorcycles and scooters in India. However, this move will be implied in a phased manner. Currently, the government plans to mandate the ABS system on higher capacity motorcycles and slowly and steadily expand this safety addition throughout all the segments of motorcycles.

Speaking to ET Auto, a senior government official said, “We in India have adopted the European policy format for the automotive industry, though with a lag to allow the industry to gradually evolve and reach that level. Like the emission norms based on EU (European Union), we have a roadmap of safety for all class of vehicles. The ABS on two-wheelers is part of that plan to enhance the safety of vehicles in India and gradually adopt standards applicable in developed countries.”

Source: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...oters-safer-in-india/articleshow/45067292.cms

This is terrible news and not a good move.

ABS increases braking distances in almost every given case when all else remains same (so upgraded rotors and discs are required - which you can expect manufacturers to skimp on), and people who are not used to ABS usually are a big cause of accidents in the first place. The pumping action of ABS is very unnerving when encountered for the first time (in a panic braking situation) and the first instinct is to come off the brake.

Besides, the highest casualties on Indian roads are suffered by pedestrians and cyclists, and caused by poor driving skills and lack of discipline. I don't see how better equipment will help in this case.

More than this, I want to airbags and ABS in cars thing to materialize.
More than this, I want the govt to enforce the helmet rule strictly. Then helmet rule for pillions. then not allowing more than two people on a scooter/motorcycle. And point based license system... so on.

This is terrible news and not a good move.

ABS increases braking distances in almost every given case when all else remains same (so upgraded rotors and discs are required - which you can expect manufacturers to skimp on), and people who are not used to ABS usually are a big cause of accidents in the first place. The pumping action of ABS is very unnerving when encountered for the first time (in a panic braking situation) and the first instinct is to come off the brake.

Besides, the highest casualties on Indian roads are suffered by pedestrians and cyclists, and caused by poor driving skills and lack of discipline. I don't see how better equipment will help in this case.

I'm sorry to say this, but are you high?

ABS increases braking distance. WTF??? Try braking on a Duke 200 and Duke 390 at the same speed. Alike bikes in all respects. See which stops faster. Or try it on Apache 180 ABS and normal 180.

People not used to ABS are a cause of accidents. Like how? How does one be used to ABS. Infact ABS isnt supposed to be used everytime you brake, else there's something wrong with your riding/driving style. It is an emergency device to control your vehicle in panic braking situations so that you dont lock the front wheel and go flying over the handlebars.

Maybe you need some reading material instead of jumping to conclusions without reading an entire post...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-lock_braking_system

ABS generally offers improved vehicle control and decreases stopping distances on dry and slippery surfaces for many drivers; however, on loose surfaces like gravel or snow-covered pavement, ABS can significantly increase braking distance, although still improving vehicle control.

Most of Indian road surfaces can be considered gravelly. The problem is that ABS prevents wheel lock, nothing more and nothing less. On smooth surfaces this is desirable, but at lower speeds on roads with layers of dust and rock on them, ABS actually slows braking. It does however, allow you to retain steering control while braking.

Also, ABS activation is very rare. That is exactly the point. When it does activate, it takes most newbie drivers by surprise. At least four accidents on the Mumbai-Pune expressway in 2013 were caused by drivers who had to undertake panic braking and released the brake the moment it pumped back. That led to complete loss of control, when in fact you are supposed to stay hard on the brake.

If you have ever trail-braked or used cadence braking you will know what this means. Just having fancy sporty names and avatars do not a good driver make, and neither do they impart any knowledge on exactly how to drive.

Your language and bearing reveal exactly what kind of driver you might be.

1: Maybe you need some reading material instead of jumping to conclusions without reading an entire post...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-lock_braking_system

2: Most of Indian road surfaces can be considered gravelly. The problem is that ABS prevents wheel lock, nothing more and nothing less. On smooth surfaces this is desirable, but at lower speeds on roads with layers of dust and rock on them, ABS actually slows braking. It does however, allow you to retain steering control while braking.

3: Also, ABS activation is very rare. That is exactly the point. When it does activate, it takes most newbie drivers by surprise. At least four accidents on the Mumbai-Pune expressway in 2013 were caused by drivers who had to undertake panic braking and released the brake the moment it pumped back. That led to complete loss of control, when in fact you are supposed to stay hard on the brake.

4: If you have ever trail-braked or used cadence braking you will know what this means. Just having fancy sporty names and avatars do not a good driver make, and neither do they impart any knowledge on exactly how to drive.

5: Your language and bearing reveal exactly what kind of driver you might be.

1: Maybe if you had said that initially in our post, it would have made more sense. Anyways it still doesnt.

2: I do not at all agree that our roads are gravelly. Unless you live in a village in some backward state of the country.

3: Your source of facts is? And if it is true(unlikely) then the fact is that it is driver fault. And because it caused 4 accidents, how many did it avoid?

4: Oh. Watch out. We are dealing with a walking encyclopedia here.
"Cadence braking is supposed to maximise the time for the driver to steer around the obstacle ahead, as it allows him to steer while slowing. It needs to be learned and practiced. For most drivers of modern cars, it has been entirely superseded by ABS" So your so called skill utterly useless. kthnxbai

5: Starting off my post with "I'm sorry to say this" and you still deem it appropriate to judge me.
And I'm the most sedate driver you'll ever meet. So please keep take your stereotypes and shove them into a dustbin.(Because they are no better than garbage.)(Remember swatch bharat abhiyaan? ;) )

Both of you are correct IMHO.
Yes ABS does increase the breaking distance in some situations.
But then the whole point of ABS is NOT at all related to decreasing the breaking distance!
It is more about the improved control of your vehicle while braking so that you can steer out of panicky situations....

And yes the pulsating feel of the ABS working does un nerve many drivers/bikers. When we got our first ABS equipped car, I actually took it to an abandoned airstrip and then braked hard just get a feel of it. I just did not want to get caught out in an actually difficult real life situation.

I have always believed ABS will be useful on bikes, I still remember some 6 years ago I took a friend's RTR 160 for a spin. Was addicted. sped to 80 . applied brakes. There was a bit of sand on the highway. And the bike's rear neatly slid out of line(but in a controlled yet scary manner. Maybe I was not braking right, but yes locking of wheels is prevented by ABS.
I do think in case of bikers rather then collisions It will be helpful to avoid skidding accidents which are more common.

people who are not used to ABS usually are a big cause of accidents in the first place.
thats what everyone said when HH released CBZ with front disc. where are we now? almost every indian bike has disc breaks.

Back