Android GPS Locking issues on Moto G 2014 and Lollypop.

Rockfella

Playing BFV
ex-Mod
Hey all!
I just bought the Moto G sec gen and love the phone. However it came with lollypop not kitkat as I was hoping. I'm facing some issues with the GPS locking while navigation so started this thread. I'm no mobile expert so was looking for some good tips on how to sort this out.

I also have the moto E with Kitkat and have used Here maps extensively in NCR and Punjab and never faced a "waiting for GPS" issue but on the new Moto G with lollypop GPS tends to go haywire on open roads of Delhi. This is something that never happened on the E on roaming in Chandigarh and other out of NCR areas!

I am wondering if the issue is hardware or software related. Please don't suggest using google maps. I am fixated on Here maps :)

Location is always on while navigation and so is mobile data. Both versions of here maps used on G and E were latest/same versions, signed in with the same account hence same saved locations and both with same offline maps.

Rest all work fine on the G. Any help/insight is appreciated.

PS: After I installed Here for the first time and turned location on I got a message saying "your compass is confused, rotate it in a 8 until it locks. Your phone will vibrate once it locks" Not sure if it is related. Never got this on the E. A friend says it is normal for compass to act like that.

Last edited:
Do you any flipcover with magnetic cover for your phone?
Nopes I'm glad someone posted something. We hardly have anyone talk about navigation as a phone feature. I read more online. It seems like an issue with Lollypop. Many Moto G/Nexus 5 users who were on Kitkat had no issues with GPS locking now bogged with GPS loosing lock every now and then.

Last edited:
Are you getting better response using Google Maps?

Normally if a magnet is brought near the phone, it interferes with the compass. This happened with Moto G(1st edition) and the original flip cover.

But compass is used only fof rotating the map as you walk/move. GPS lock does not depend on it. GPS lock depends on how many satellites it is able to communicate with.

Are you getting better response using Google Maps?

Normally if a magnet is brought near the phone, it interferes with the compass. This happened with Moto G(1st edition) and the original flip cover.

But compass is used only fof rotating the map as you walk/move. GPS lock does not depend on it. GPS lock depends on how many satellites it is able to communicate with.
It is a Lollypop issue nothing else :) There is an update expected in the end of this month or early march for a fix.

Back