Graphic Cards Graphics card makers will be forced to slash prices after GPU shipments fall by 40%

Ramadhir Singh

Wasseypur
Adept
here is some good news:
DigiTimes claims that Taiwanese card makers, Gigabyte, MSI, and TUL, are all expecting to see shipments in April drop by a massive 40% month-on-month. They’re saying that a lot of their big clients, such as distributors and mining farms, have either suspended, or cut, their orders of graphics cards.

DigiTimes are suggesting that both the card manufacturers and channel distributors will be “forced to slash prices for sales promotions” to deal with their halving margins. We’re already seeing GPU prices slowly coming down, and fingers crossed that’s only the start of it.

Source:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/graphics-card-shipments-40-percent-down

Yup!
My calculations says prices will crash after July when nvidia announce GTX-11 cards.
Miners if they really causing this surge will surely sell old cards and buy new cards which will be more powerful and will be less power hungry. I’m sure if mining working for them they must have made hell lot of money to afford a dozen of new cards.

Retailers who are hiding the gtx -10 cards now, won’t find customer for existing cards unless they provide discount. Also if I get a used GTX-1080 in 10-12k, why I will spend 30k for new. I will hardly care if it was used in mining or gaming.

While i agree that mining does affect GPU life, but i think it may not be as binary as it seems. Our current generation devices generally fail because of the frequent cold and hot cycles which causes the soldering to lose connection, not because components fail. Cards used for mining are not exposed to these heat cycles, so if you have an efficient unoverclocked card that is sufficiently cooled, then it might have a life comparable to a card that is switched off and on everyday.

Last edited:
Prices are coming down. 2gb Zotac 1050 mini is now 13,610/- in Amazon. It was 14,800/- two weeks back.

Plus, gtx series 11 is postponed till Q3

Plus, gtx series 11 is postponed till Q3
Where did you read that?
It has been speculated that they might announce at computex, no confirmation yet.
On Amazon prices have slightly gone down for 1060 6gb, like few hundred.
One seller is also selling galax version for 28k but is not reliable and I'm not sure about their RMA scene in india.

I wonder why now ! I have been seeing a lot of GPU "For Sale" threads coming up here as well on other forums. Also Samsung is in the race for making ASIC`s and being a big semi conductor manufacturer that will for sure have impact on GPU sales. Maybe AMD and Nvidia made more money than selling GPU`s to consumers or Enterprise and all this GPU shortage was a hoax.

Back