GRE or GMAT/CAT? Really confused

comp@ddict

Skilled
The title says it all. I'm a 3rd year ECE B.Tech student from MIT, Manipal. Wondering which path to choose forward.

Dad says you can pick GRE and switch to a management job later down the line. But in case it boils down between two candidates and the other got the job/promotion thanks to his MBA degree?

I would really like to know the best colleges where I can study abroad (have two years to prepare). I'm slightly more inclined to GMAT than anything else. Also, all the requirements/exams (TOEFL)/etc. whatever needed details...

I wanted to know about that too :)

How many years experience etc. etc.
For MBA, depends on the school you aim at.
I would say a minimum of 4.5 years work ex for the top schools with good grades and preferably international experience.

If you give GRE then MS is the only option. Target country should be Germany or USA. Work ex is not needed

I wanted to know about that too :)

How many years experience etc. etc.

basic criteria for good to great MBA scolleges abroad: 2 to 5 years good quality work experience, proven examples of leadership qualities, good grades, years of volunteer work, lots of money &/or sponsorship. have these and a good chance you get into a good college.

Want to go abroad right after education in India, GRE & MS is the way to go.

I agree with that. MS is the way to go, in case one aims for abroad ASAP. MBA will take a while.
Moreover the experience levels in MBA is quite high. 4.5 is just minimum exp for the big leagues. And that too just gives you a fighting chance.
Go to one of the MBA events and you will see who you are up against and realise this is not going to be easy.

On the overall though, I think MBA is worth the wait in the long run if one wants a management job sooner rather than later.

This is what I am doing anyways

Good Management schools abroad have a work ex pre requisite. Though the criteria says that one must have a work ex of 2/3 years, when you read further you'll find out that the average age of the class is 28- 31, which effectively means that these guys have 5 - 7 years of work ex. I'm talking only about the top few business schools. There are a few universities in the UK and Australia that will enroll freshers too.

I myself don't know yet. How do I figure that out without really doing a job in either profile?
You can figure it out. You need to ask yourself what are you interested in? Do yuo like more of a technical challenge or are you more interested in managing things and dealing with people?
You would have a gut feeling.

You can figure it out. You need to ask yourself what are you interested in? Do yuo like more of a technical challenge or are you more interested in managing things and dealing with people?
You would have a gut feeling.

Here's the thing, I like both. But slightly more inclined on managing.

But for GMAT I should work for 4-5 years. Wouldn't trying for a good MS college in say Germany (1.5 years course right?) and then work for 4-5 years and then do an MBA later on be a good way to go too?

See, without experience your options are quite limited for a MBA. But that is not the end of the world. Colleges like Harvard, Stanford and Chicago Booth have interesting delayed MBA programs for which you can apply now.
Generally how it goes is that they either give you admission and tell you to work for a while and join the school or they will give you admission, call you there and give you an internship for a year or 2 after which you can do your MBA.

But if you are hell bent on doing the MBA now then not many schools will take you. And personally I do not see the point of doing an MBA from any mid tier school.

So MS is the logical option according to me. Stay there, study there and then do your MBA.

PS: Ping me if you want a longer chat and ill give you my mobile number.

I am of the opinion that without working for a while you should not try to get a managerial position. Just doesn't make sense to me. Of course, there are people who will still be good at it, but not for me.

If you give GRE and start working, you will gradually switch to a management role at some point but from what I have seen for people abroad, it might take longer that what it is here in India. At least for my colleagues, they are generally quite happy where they are and promotions aren't that frequent.

If you feel that you will do an MBA later, you must take into account the fact that you will spend 2 years more, doing another Master's. Once you work for 4-6 years (after doing a Master's), it might not be that easy getting into studying mode again. A nice alternate path might be an Executive MBA, something which I have in mind.

Right now, I think you should stick with GRE if you plan to do MBA from abroad. No respectable school abroad will take you as a student with 0 work-ex. Unless you have an extra-ordinary profile, it will be most likely rejected.

Tell me more about the delayed programs. How to apply, etc. etc. whatever you guys know.

At least for my colleagues, they are generally quite happy where they are and promotions aren't that frequent.
Where are your colleagues?

EDIT:

Where do I find the list of TOP colleges for MS in the world?

Seriously, go to Edulix first. Register and be amazed. For all MBA (and other) queries, go to Pagalguy. You will not need to ask another question on TE again :)

Back