Great speed in India, Poor speed abroad

^^ Proper way of testing broadband connection Speeds is through LAN.

Stopped Conducting tests through WiFi and end up in illogical conclusions!

Unless you have a 500/1gbps connection or your router is placed far away, this shouldn't be an issue. The AC1200 routers provided by ISP's are reasonably competent.
Screen Shot 2018-07-08 at 12.17.01 AM.jpeg

After working for one of the largest CDN providers I find the whole speed test stuff a bit odd. There are many levels of bandwidth (forgot the exact name). And the lowest and cheapest one are downloads. So, it is easy to provide.

The highest ones are for streaming and other content delivery. But that stuff cannot be delivered reliably without CDNs or peering and it also gets pricey.

Now lastly, most of the data today is peered or through CDNs (including downloads). The unfortunate truth is there aren't many dedicated CDN servers in India. Even my employer was hard pressed to provide Indian services. While the company served Flipkart, Justdial, Hotstar etc, the funny thing was that peering these sites from US was faster compared to India - all because majority of CDN servers were located in the western hemisphere than east. This was like 1-2 years ago. Things might have a changed a bit due to Jio and rising data consumption and many companies demanding servers here.

So, I have stopped trying to test my connection speed. Unless everything is running super slow and Airtel needs proof of it.

Not accurate.may be few years back it was.
WiFi dongles like Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 are capable of 1.3 Gbps link speed ( faster than 1Gbps LAN .....that is most common.).

Even if you GET 50% THROUGHPUT from WiFi (lt depends on distance from router , router technology etc...). (I KNOW LAN CAN GIVE ABOVE 99% + throughput).
you can test speeds over 500 Mbps-800Mbps easily on Wifi and there will be generally no difference compared to LAN.
71eMuDlRAML.jpg

I tested My Dongle D-Link DWA-182 which gives 867 Mbps link speed over 5 GHz band.
You can see throughput of 630 Mbps is achieved. even if i get only 50% throughput of my link speed.....i can easily test 400 Mbps connection via WiFi

Not accurate.may be few years back it was.
WiFi dongles like Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 are capable of 1.3 Gbps link speed ( faster than 1Gbps LAN .....that is most common.).

Even if you GET 50% THROUGHPUT from WiFi (lt depends on distance from router , router technology etc...). (I KNOW LAN CAN GIVE ABOVE 99% + throughput).
you can test speeds over 500 Mbps-800Mbps easily on Wifi and there will be generally no difference compared to LAN.
71eMuDlRAML.jpg

I tested My Dongle D-Link DWA-182 which gives 867 Mbps link speed over 5 GHz band.
You can see throughput of 630 Mbps is achieved. even if i get only 50% throughput of my link speed.....i can easily test 400 Mbps connection via WiFi

Also i would like to add that high end ultrabooks are launching withour any LAN ports.

I get around 14-15 MB/s (120mbps) on usenet from Europe based servers
Speedtest/Fast with local servers yields around 150 mbps

FWIW - This is on a local ISP

Here is another round in same order just as a retest.

[DOUBLEPOST=1534280492][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, if you see my test result from first page, I was getting 60-70 Mbps to the same server's when my plans was still 150 Mbps. Clearly, something has changed in between to improve the speeds.

Another point to note is that I am the only subscriber with > 100Mbps speed in my entire township presently. I seem to be on a different switch than all the others. For others, their WAN is connected at 100Mbps while mine is 1 Gbit to allow > 100Mbps speeds.

Last edited:
Here is another round in same order just as a retest.

[DOUBLEPOST=1534280492][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, if you see my test result from first page, I was getting 60-70 Mbps to the same server's when my plans was still 150 Mbps. Clearly, something has changed in between to improve the speeds.

Another point to note is that I am the only subscriber with > 100Mbps speed in my entire township presently. I seem to be on a different switch than all the others. For others, their WAN is connected at 100Mbps while mine is 1 Gbit to allow > 100Mbps speeds.

7552443462.png

You're right, i do see some improvements from my previous test which i did fairly after proper restart of PC/router(multiple times). I was too busy :facepalm: these days to keep a check on my internet/pc stuff , will talk to them and see how it goes.

Back