Green Delhi? NGT cracks down on govt. diesel vehicles.

iPwnz

Brutally Honest
Skilled
I actually wanted to write "banned" instead of "crackdown" but decided not to do it as this action barely started.

Anyway, the National Capital's smoke pollution level seems to be increasing at an alarming rate. Not that it was not polluted in the last many years. But the pollution level seems to be on the rise. The Delhi govt. under CM Kejri-saheb introducted the Odd/Even method of driving to control the pollution level. Not a bad move as this has apparently been tried and tested in China (country with the highest pollution rate?) but was criticized by our elite social network users in India. Basically under this method, there are separate days fixed for vehicles number's ending with odd/even digit to go on the road. The days are alternate. Eg. Vehicle numbers ending with 1, 3, 7 and 9 will be used on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday. And numbers ending in even numbers can ply on the other days not in the list above. There are 7 days so it will favor either of them. :p

and now the National Green Tribunal (NGT) is cracking down on govt. vehicles which use Diesel. The ban is being reported to become effective in 2016 (?). But no mention about private vehicles which should make up for a good percentage of the pollution. This move might also affect the diesel industry and draw criticisms from the manufacturers crying "foul" and claim that number of diesel vehicles are far lesser than private petrol/vehicles and that more serious actions should be taken up against them also.
The govt. will probably suggest the use/manufacture of CNG/vehicles next (you heard it here first!).
Well do you think the above is going to work? And what in your opinion should be done here.

IMO, the best way is to follow what the developed nations do. Either ban sale of diesel private vehicles alongwith removing/substantially reducing taxes on petrol. This might not sit well with the so called elite of the social media as they will see it as an attack on their freedom.
The ban is a much better way than making diesel expensive for private vehicles, because that move will only lead to black-marketing of diesel.
I really can't wait for the day, self-driven cars become the norm. Because I can't see us Indians ever learning to drive properly. If people were to follow proper lane driving, there would be less traffic jams and hence less pollution/time wasted. This alone might make most of the people choose Petrol cars over diesel.
I drive a Petrol A-Star and a Petrol Palio. The Palio was alright considering our running but we were contemplating getting a diesel vehicle because our running has increased now. I decided to still go for a more fuel efficient petrol car (16-17 in city with AC and 21-22 on Highway with sedate driving). Now if petrol prices were to be dropped to a saner level, no one in their right mind will choose a diesel vehicle over a petrol.

Ban firecrackers, ban vehicles, ban the members of your party opposing you....

I don't know about the center, but it seems the polity of Delhi comprises of a bunch of ban-@#$%s

Now if petrol prices were to be dropped to a saner level, no one in their right mind will choose a diesel vehicle over a petrol.
Why do people choose diesel version over petrol? Is it because its more economical or is there any other reason? All the cars which my relatives own are petrol.
I wish there was a CNG model as well. Cleaner and CNG also has the lowest cost. I don't know if there is a con though. The thing which scares me is if the gas tank is safe. I'm scared of leaking gas. There was a time when i nearly burned myself from a leaking lpg. I didn't touch any gas stove/cylinder for years.
Also self-driven cars is a far cry for a country like India. I would put more emphasis on proper roads, renewable source of energy and improving electric cars. That will be the future.

Why do people choose diesel version over petrol?
more torque. people who have never driven a diesel vehicle will not understand it. :D[DOUBLEPOST=1449920564][/DOUBLEPOST]
The thing which scares me is if the gas tank is safe. I'm scared of leaking gas. There was a time when i nearly burned myself from a leaking lpg. I didn't touch any gas stove/cylinder for years.

and you'll be much safer near diesel (e.g. burst tank) because it doesn't ignite spontaneously or as easily as petrol/LPG/CNG :p

Last edited:
CNG is not at all a solution. It's a time bomb that is waiting to burst. Here the temperatures goes above 50'C in summers and these things gets worse inside the enclosed car.

CNG have actually been banned in other countries. But here in india corporate and beurocratic corruption have made this legal.

Point here is that, fossil fuels consumption should be minimized. Technologies such as electric vehicles(tesla cars etc), solar energy(on buildings and other rooftops) should be implemented. Burning fossil fuels for electricity, cars etc would never stop the pollution.

Even now people are not talking about renewable sources instead you are still taking about petrol, diesel, alternate numbers, and CNG explosives. How can any of these be a solution ever.
We need a permanent solution. Not a make shift one.

more torque. people who have never driven a diesel vehicle will not understand it. :D[DOUBLEPOST=1449920564][/DOUBLEPOST]

and you'll be much safer near diesel (e.g. burst tank) because it doesn't ignite spontaneously or as easily as petrol/LPG/CNG :p
Well I don't know how to drive 4-wheelers.
One reason to buy diesel cars: they are less dangerous lol. TIL.

CNG is not at all a solution. It's a time bomb that is waiting to burst. Here the temperatures goes above 50'C in summers and these things gets worse inside the enclosed car.

CNG have actually been banned in other countries. But here in india corporate and beurocratic corruption have made this legal.

Well they should look into improving the safety of the tank or something. Might be more expensive but i think that it should be able to control the pollution level. I wasn't aware of the corruption issue though.
I'm all in for electric vehicles powered by solar energy. But our present living costs/income is not going to make it that viable. Our present electric vehicles are slow, expensive and needs constant charging.

Well they should look into improving the safety of the tank or something. Might be more expensive but i think that it should be able to control the pollution level. I wasn't aware of the corruption issue though.
I'm all in for electric vehicles powered by solar energy. But our present living costs/income is not going to make it that viable. Our present electric vehicles are slow, expensive and needs constant charging.
Check out tesla cars. You would be amazed at how much electric cars have improved. They are more competitive with petrol cars then you can imagine. They are fast like sports car, have mileage that beats many petrol cars and have fast recharge which can give 100km mileage with just under a hour of recharge( imagine standing in line for CNG outside a petrol pump. Takes so much time).

Also check out hydrogen fuel cells while you are at it.
Fact of the matter is that fossil fuels get huge subsidies from government but these renewable or cheap technologies that are actually available in abundance and won't result in huge corporate profits aren't subsidised on that level or not subsidized at all. Otherwise most people can even become self sufficient in energy production for there own needs. Imagine recharging your cars in your home itself without going to any petrol pump. Also, imagine no need for inverters and power backup. Also think about solar powered kiosk that can recharge your electric cars without actually using the power from the grid.

Also, check out electric hybrids. They are more practical then CNG etc.

Last edited:
but these renewable or cheap technologies that are actually available in abundance and won't result in huge corporate profits aren't subsidised on that level or not subsidized at all.

If that was posted in the mainstream social/news media inb4 mudi fanboys will come and rush to his defence lol. I wonder just how long it'll take us to realize our mistakes on the matter.
Meanwhile our government is calling for more serious actions from the more developed countries. Sigh. Not sure if viable renewable sources of energy was even on our agenda in the G8 summit. :?

Reports:
Delhi is the most polluted city among 1500 polluted cities in the world. And pollution levels of Bangalore, Chennai, Bhopal and Mumbai exceed the maximum level.

Last edited:
Delhi Govt: Will shut 2 thermal power stations down. 46% trucks come to Delhi from outside. Will check/control the entry of these trucks.
Delhi CM Kejriwal at NDTV live now.

Delhi is sure in for a ride.
Better than sitting stationary and letting kids develop asthma and all sorts of diseases cause of the pollution, right? If you have better and practical solutions than do share. Im sure they are breaking their head on finding the optimum solution. Your reasonable and workable brilliant ideas are welcome.

^true. Coming up with a proper solution is more difficult than it sounds. You cannot please all the public/corps. For eg. Shutting down factories will anger the workers as it can lead to unemployment. Will also piss off the corps who own them as it will cut their revenue. Likewise with the odds/even method it will cut a small % of the pollution but will affect the public who rely too much on private vehicles. <- there is one solution which i can think of for this. Increase the DTC bus fleet and add more coaches to the metro trains. The number of DTC buses were actually supposed to have been increased a few years ago. Not sure if that has even been implemented. Delhi govt. (whatever party they belong to) likes to delay the issue and then forget it.

^^ they should've fixed the public transport first and then asked people to not to use their vehicles. delhi govt hasn't given any solution to the affected people. this pollution problem didn't arise suddenly in the last 1 month. likewise, they can't tackle the problem in just 1 month.

^^ they should've fixed the public transport first and then asked people to not to use their vehicles. delhi govt hasn't given any solution to the affected people. this pollution problem didn't arise suddenly in the last 1 month. likewise, they can't tackle the problem in just 1 month.
Theya re doing that. Fixing public transport takes 5-7 years if not decades. Getting land, building stuff is not an a one year job. And the problem is there right now. You need to tackle it right now with some measures till the others become active in the long term. You can attack them, they will back track, but in the end its the people that will suffer. Your family, kids, parents, friends if you live in delhi will be the first of those affected. The odds are not in favour when you have a severely unplanned cities like we do in India.

Theya re doing that.
there is an apt term for it: knee-jerk-reaction. it's not a solution. not even a short-term solution.

your emotional message regarding kids, family etc is meant for religious-whores who love to burst crackers on diwali and those illiterate NCR farmers who love to burn their crops on the onset of winter. just because we don't get much rains during winters, these two incidents alone raise SPM levels of delhi so much to create 'immediate' respiratory problems.

The odds are not in favour when you have a severely unplanned cities like we do in India.
if govt keep on coming up with such brainless ideas then india can never have anything planned. at this moment, nothing in delhi is an outcome of a planned decision. they built countless flyovers when the city faced congestion. then, they ran out of road space, so they built metro.

as you said, it's going to take years to implement a good public transportation system but that's what should be done before asking people give up their personal vehicles. if govt is so inclined to implement even-odd system then do it for everyone in delhi and not just private car owners. do it for bikes, autos, taxis, buses and sarkari vehicles. why does govt think that bikers don't pollute the environment?

govt created this private diesel vehicle mess by allowing manufactures to build for the masses. it took almost a decade to create the mess we see now. govt should give that much time to allow private diesel vehicle owners to dispose of their vehicles. and give these owners incentives to buy an electric vehicle next time. no more internal combustion engines but this has to happen gradually. you can't get rid of all the diesels in a day and start breathing clean air.

And the problem is there right now.
only way to tackle air pollution right away is to ban all the vehicles running on fossil fuels, pronto. yes, ban every vehicle in delhi from 1 Jan 2016. that's the sure shot way to tackle air pollution.

it's all kejri uncle's political drama. he wants to take control of delhi police, which he can't even in his dreams. at this moment, delhi police is unable to handle anything substantial, let alone looking at every number plate and guessing the fuel type. he is doing this just to show SC that he did do something to tackle the increasing pollution levels. if he really wanted to curb the pollution then he should've done it for all kinds of vehicles. it's easier to target the private car owners because those guys don't have the time for dharnas etc. if he had included 2 and 3 wheelers then delhi at this moment would be seeing lots of processions. too bad for his image.

Delhi needs to tackle the SPM problem and banning private 4 wheelers is not a solution. SPM level may come down during this 2 week trial but it can never be under allowed levels because the problem lies somewhere else. 4 wheelers are already quite sophisticated and i am sure manufactures can come up with advanced exhaust systems, if asked to. tightening the noose on 4 wheelers would achieve nothing. it's only done to this category because these people cannot and will not protest. they are sheep who vent their feelings thru keyboards only (like me). govt won't touch high and low income groups.

most of the private 4 wheeler owners maintain their vehicles very well. it's the taxis and autos which are never maintained and yet they are exempted from all sorts of bans. delhi govt needs to be screwed with a 12inch cactus.

even-odd rule and banning diesel 4 wheelers is like removing 15,0000 buckets of water from yamuna and saying that we've reduced the water pollution.

there are many ways to tackle SPM levels - the primary cause of respiratory issues:

- stop burning crops in NCR.
- ban crackers on diwali. because it's not a favorable weather. seriously, how hard is implement a ban for 2~3 days in a year instead of total ban on diesels and idiotic even-odd system? i don't think ramchandra asked people to burst crackers on his arrival. :p
- move this cracker bursting ceremony to some wet month. like 15th august. or may be on janamashtami, just to please those hindus. rains would take care of the SPMs during this time.
- put a limit on the size of ravana effigies.
- make it mandatory for genset owners to get PUCs. they create a lot of pollution inside the residential area.
- crack a whip on sarkari babus' asses and make them survey the pollution levels of all the factories in delhi. give the polluting factories a deadline to bring things under control. corrupt babus should be sent to china and given death sentence. @iPwnz there can be a solution apart from shutting down polluting factories. :p
- food allergies can also cause severe respiratory issues. educate people.
- a smoker in a family can easily create problems for other members. young ones in smoker families have higher chances of getting asthma. educate people.
- i don't think there's way to stop people from burning wood in their homes. but this needs to be tackled during winters.
- all the construction vehicles and tractors run on diesel. they'll always be exempted from such bans. ask them to get their exhausts fixed. sarkari babus need to ensure this otherwise they can be sent to china :p
- despite asking many times, sarkari sweepers still burn the waste to this day. send them to china.
- spend taxpayers money on road sweeping/ machines. delhi roads are full of dust that definitely raises SPM.
- ban construction trucks/trailers that don't have canopies. i haven't seen a single truck in NCR with canopy. kejri uncle should learn this from other countries before copying their even-odd idea.
- delhi people must be dumb enough to ignore how much construction work has increased the SPM levels. for the last 10 years, there's either a flyover or metro pillar getting raised, which in turn causes severe respiratory issues. govt should copy ideas from better countries on how to construct with minimal air/noise pollution. instead of learning best practices, our govt plans to curb ONLY private 4 wheelers.
- everyone knows that fossil fuels don't have a future. needless to say, govt needs to make it easier for people to switch to electric vehicles.
- i see every shared auto in NCR emitting heavy smoke. never seen a traffic police stopping them. but these uniformed goons are happy to stop every 4 wheeler to check their PUCs. i've been caught numerous times by traffic police and never once they found me without a valid PUC. i am doing my civilian job properly but are those traffic police and "thullas" doing theirs? corruption is the number one cause of increased air pollution levels. all those factories, overloaded trucks, broken roads etc are the outcome of corruption. send these corrupt sarkari babus to china! :p

Not quoting coz too friggin' long!

I'm not sure how and from where I should reply but hey feel free to send your complaints and suggestions to the govt. of Delhi. I only hope that it reaches the CM's desk. :p
You're not wrong about Kejriwal love for Drama though, fact further worsened by the media's love for TRP's.
The pollution has been there since the past few govts. and no one, i tell you, NOT ONE gave a shit. Some prime time hogging by the media for a few days and then everything suddenly got quiet. Many citizens quietly suffered. Now i'm not sure if they voiced their problems because i wasn't aware of it. Also look at the condition of the Yamuna river. I wouldn't even go near that filth. But has anyone or the media taken a real effort to raise the awareness? Nope. From the reports and videos i've seen the pollution level suddenly increased by a lot in the last few months. All these just in time for AAP/Kejriwal's rise to the Capital's throne lol. But they have about 3 more years to make some changes. We can give them that time. Its not like the problems will be suddenly solved if another govt. was in place.
But you know Delhi's pollution problem is not only Delhi's problem but the whole country and to some extent the world. And I feel that the central govt. doesn't seem very interested in tackling the problem. No matter what our PM blabbers in some meets, only some help has been given to the startup industry and make in India campaign. We should realize that the environment is as important as our economy.
If I could be anyone in India for a few years I would love to be in charge of the Ministry of Environment and Health Affairs and/or Road and Transport incl. Traffic Control. :p

But they have about 3 more years to make some changes. We can give them that time. Its not like the problems will be suddenly solved if another govt.

LOL.. i am the only one who's saying that the damage can't be undone in just 15 days. it's you guys who are hoping to find a quick solution by banning private vehicles.

BTW, it's all kejri uncle's drama. he knows very well that he can't do jacksh1t by ignoring other pollution creating avenues. i don't need to write to him... he is a shrewd indian like me and he's deliberately not touching upon issues that really matter.

The pollution has been there since the past few govts. and no one, i tell you, NOT ONE gave a shit.

these politicians really know how to bait common man. look how he found a fan in you! his actions are hocus-pocus as our dear modiji's, who took the whole nation on a ride by his "swatchh bharat" mission. look, how clean is my india today! and i know that same modiji made the entire nation healthy by creating a yoga day.

no doubt kejri uncle is taking some action but it's not in the right direction. he is not solving the root cause... not even trying to do so. he's going to reduce pollution by banning many cars but at the same time, adding 10,000 more autos. why not electric autos/buses? he must be an idiot.

But you know Delhi's pollution problem is not only Delhi's problem but the whole country and to some extent the world. And I feel that the central govt. doesn't seem very interested in tackling the problem. No matter what our PM blabbers in some meets, only some help has been given to the startup industry and make in India campaign. We should realize that the environment is as important as our economy.

not many cities are land-locked as delhi. so delhi faces severe air pollution issue. no doubt, some strict steps needs to be taken for the whole india but that is never going to happen. indians are not united on this front. one man's agony is other's pleasure. i've been hearing about environmental issues from the late 80s and the only decision ever taken in this direction is to stop people from using the vehicles they've already spent money on.

kejri uncle cannot drop home all those ladies who work odd hours and use personal vehicles. kejri uncle cannot ask metro to drop people at home step. people will keep on buying cars... some out of desperation and some because they have the means. many folks have decided to forge their number plates. even if the even-odd rule is made permanent, delhi will get back to square one in around 3 years.

Back