Greetings from Rome

Shkrabatz

Recruit
I'm an old guy (65) who's been working as a translator of movie scripts since the early 70's... the days of electric typewriters.

I'm a technological dodo... embarrassing... yet through years and years of experience I know a lot about text editing... to the point that I feel I can make some suggestions to the bright boys and girls (who from my layman's perspective, code stuff that's indistinguishable from magic), suggestions that if implemented would make writing / editing on the flat screens, tablets and phablets way more efficient.

I ask the powers that be who are reading this... first, whether what I wish to talk about is welcome here at
the enclave... and if so, in what thread.

The suggestion is for all text editing on all electronic apparatuses from computers to smartphones (though because of size considerations, I would begin at phablets).

My personal focus, however, is the flat screens where IMHO the situation is so "clunky" and awkward that it spawned a whole brand new gadget industry: external keyboards.

Anyhow... Hello! That's where my head is... and along with a possible hardware synergy, (just to further complicate matters) it's really the only "gray matter" contribution this guy with white hair can make!

Last edited:
Welcome to TE Community :)
Thank you!
I made a couple of long posts in the software thread illustrating what I call "Connective Editing"... but they're awaiting moderation. I hope they are eventually shown. Perhaps the mods can move them elsewhere.

I'm an old guy (65) who's been working as a translator of movie scripts since the early 70's... the days of electric typewriters.

I'm a technological dodo... embarrassing... yet through years and years of experience I know a lot about text editing... to the point that I feel I can make some suggestions to the bright boys and girls (who from my layman's perspective, code stuff that's indistinguishable from magic), suggestions that if implemented would make writing / editing on the flat screens, tablets and phablets way more efficient.

I ask the powers that be who are reading this... first, whether what I wish to talk about is welcome here at
the enclave... and if so, in what thread.

The suggestion is for all text editing on all electronic apparatuses from computers to smartphones (though because of size considerations, I would begin at phablets).

My personal focus, however, is the flat screens where IMHO the situation is so "clunky" and awkward that it spawned a whole brand new gadget industry: external keyboards.

Anyhow... Hello! That's where my head is... and along with a possible hardware synergy, (just to further complicate matters) it's really the only "gray matter" contribution this guy with white hair can make!

You're very welcome here. However, if you're interested in text editing then on phablets then I'd recommend you to check out XDA forum which is dedicated to development on android phones such as Samsung Galaxy S8+.

Thanks Mr. J... That stuff is way over my head. I have a factory floor conceptual solution to make editing on phabs and tabs "snappier" than sit-on-your-butt computers. In other words, I am not a programmer, but a better txt editing philosopher.

The ideal venue for me would be a bunch of software developers for the flat screens. iOS / Android

I lay out the theoretics... I give them a couple of ancient macros so they can try it for themselves on WORD...

I show them a partial implementation I have achieved...

...and I challenge them to show me better...

More than a learning curve - it's a matter of getting the hang of it.

Consider how clunky editing is on a flat screen. What's it take to cancel a single word?
4 touches.
Tap-tap to highlight then Backspace to cancel and then another Backspace to "micro-correct" the double space.
My system 1 tap.

With one and the same action button, my system offers:

· Single word deletion - 1 touch - also consecutive action

· Single paragraph deletion - 1 touch - also consecutive action

· Anywhere in para. to end of same para. - 2 touches

· Any punctuation mark / symbol - 2 touches - consecutive action

· Any word - "X" amount of touches - but in the normal ambit of editing uncanny. Blazingly fast.

Coding will be for my next life.

Welcome @Shkrabatz to TE!

FYI, when I was around 14 years old back in 1990 I visited Rome and was standing inside the Sistine Chapel looking up at Michelangelo's artwork. Even back then I was awestruck by it's beauty and I will never forget that experience ever :)

Your math is wrong :D

Wait a minute
15 1991
16 1992
17 1993
18 1994
(I much prefer this than translating a TV series called "Women of Honor" - Sicilian Mafia.
19 1995
20 1996
21 1997
22 1998
23 1999
24 2000
25 2001
26 2002
27 2003
28 2004
(So is it true that zero was invented in India?)
29 2005
30 2006
31 2007

This did not end well for me

Okay... okay... 41!
Don't let this reflect poorly on my editing system!!!

Yes zero was invented in India by Aryabhatta.... incidentally India's first satellite was called by his name ... the ISRO engineer recently died... His name U. R. Rao - no relation to me :D[DOUBLEPOST=1500903034][/DOUBLEPOST]And I'm 40 going on 41 to be precise :)

Thanks... I just read about them: Him & it &Him in Wikipedia.

220px-2064_aryabhata-crp.jpg
300px-Aryabhata_Satellite.jpg
U_R_Rao_%28cropped%29.jpg

So you designed a new type of keyboard for Android and iOS and want someone to make it?

Hello 6pack... I am a translator of movie scripts, treatments and synopses. I am a scribe who hates to stay chained to the computer. For years and years I worked on handhelds. Then the flat screens came and though wonderful devices (what's not to love about them?) for writing/editing they were - and still are - pretty awful.
So I came up with a very simple, no-brainer way of editing without the need for highlighting. No keen eye commanding pudgy finger to move little handles to highlight text.

All I need is one button (but two is preferable) and I can:
1. Cancel words at a single tap (instead of the 4 touches now required). Also consecutively (machine gun style)
2. Cancel entire paragraphs - no matter how much txt is involved - at a single tap, also machine gun style.
3. Cancel from anywhere in a paragraph to the end of the same paragraph (no matter how much txt is involved in never more than 2 taps.
4. Cancel to the first instance of any whatsoever punctuation mark / symbol - i.e. !"£$%&/()=-_;:°#§ etc. etc. in two taps.
5. Cancel sentences, clauses, consecutively
6. Deletively connect to words in "X" amount of touches, but real fast and easy.

All this is delineated here in the Software thread (for want of a better place)

https://techenclave.com/community/t...ns-faster-than-computers.184773/#post-2128825

If you are a developer, take the idea and make something out of it to improve editing on flat screens.

So far I have achieved 1 implementation, as a feature request in a program for iOS called TextKraft Pro. They implemented a "harnessed" purposefully weakened version.

What you see below is a graphic from their site. The red down arrow is the partial implementation they made.

Textkraft320_Ext-Forward-Delete_EN.png

For the Android sphere there is nothing, though I've tried to get TextMaker (of Softmaker interested) as well as Jiro of Jota + in Japan.

A new type of keyboard would actually be ideal... this way the power of Connective Editing would also be available to email programs and other places.

Naturally it's for scribes... folks who write a lot - or would wish to write a lot on their otherwise fantastic devices.

Last edited:
Back