Guidance for learning web development

Hi!
I am a 2011 passout from Electronics and Communication Engineering. I have good knowledge about C/C++ but want to get into web development.
I am confused that from where should I start.
One of my friend told me that I should have good understanding of HTML, PHP, JavaScript and CSS. He also told me that it's more important to be able to use frameworks like drupal as work is never done from scratch.

Should I first study some books or start developing some project and learning functionality side by side? Please guide

Start with basic "HTML, CSS and javascript" book...then read a starting php book...then make few things, then you can study drupal and all...

For basic help refer W3Schools Online Web Tutorials

HeadFirst books are also recommended. If you want on hand teaching like demos and stuff get a Lynda.com course which have video tutorials that are really good

Nowadays there are online courses offered by professors from reputed universities across globe for free available at https://www.coursera.org/ or Udacity | Free Online Courses. Advance your College Education & Career

Last but not least do not forget to check the Indian resources from IITs at NPTEL

Now to try them out at side by side you need LAMP or WAMP installed (google terms which you dont understand)

Hope this helps you

Learn basics of HTML, JS, CSS first. Tryout each. Experiment/play with 'em.
Try out frameworks - like jQuery for JS, 960 grid for CSS etc.

Next, learn server side scripts to code business logic - PHP preferred. Learn the basics.
Try frameworks in php - CakePHP, Yii etc very popular with very well community support.

Next, tryout CMSes. Drupal, Joomla are the best.

If one wants to start Web Dev in Python, then how ? Since Python is very easy to learn...
Python is easy to learn but not universally accepted as a standard of web development. Python is super easy to learn and awesome language. But personally, I would recommend OP to learn HTML, CSS and Javascript first. Then move ahead and learn HTML5 and CSS3 since both of these together make your webpages powerful :) Only after learning all these one should go and learn server side scripting language. :)

Thanks guys for your valuable replies.
I will have a look at some tutorials and some books.
Does anyone of TE get freelancing work for web development?

If one wants to start Web Dev in Python, then how ? Since Python is very easy to learn...

I agree that you should first read up on HTML, CSS and some basic JS. That W3Schools site is okay to get your feet wet, but just keep in mind some of the things mentioned here: W3Fools ? A W3Schools Intervention. Personally, I'd recommend the Opera Web Standards Curriculum (google it).

After that, pick any server side language you like. You asked about Python... Python is fully capable of being a web development language. The most popular web framework for Python is Django, which is really easy to get started with and has superb documentation. (http://www.djangoproject.com). Instagram and Pinterest are some of the big names that use Django.

I'm a Django developer professionally, and must say that it is a pleasure to make stuff in Python + Django. You can get something up and running very quickly.
But do your own research. Read up on the various server side options, and pick any one you like.

I'm learning HTML and CSS on my own now, a bit hard for a guy from non-IT background, but it's easy compared to programming.

Any books that you guys suggest? My end goal is to be able to develop a website completely, preferably using Drupal.

Web development needs skills two distinct parts(client side(broswer) & server side(runs on sever)). any entry level web developer should know atleast the following:

1. Web technologies(Client Side): HTML, CSS, JavaScript & jQuery.
2. Server-Side:
  • Language: Python/Ruby/Java/PHP/C#/Javascript(Node.js)(any one of them)
  • Framework: learn the popular framework in whatever server-side language you choose(for example, for ruby there is Ruby on Rails, for python there is Django)
  • lastly, Database: no web application complete without a database. so learn SQL & start using Postgres/Mysql or other RDBMS. you can skip nosql family of database systems & learn them later.

I'm learning HTML and CSS on my own now, a bit hard for a guy from non-IT background, but it's easy compared to programming.

Any books that you guys suggest? My end goal is to be able to develop a website completely, preferably using Drupal.
To learn drupal, refer to its documentation. As drupal is written with PHP/Mysql. you should brush up your PHP & mysql. don't forget to read PHP the right way which details how PHP development should be done.

Further, Personnally I would suggest you to start with this tutorial(ruby on rails). It might seem bit hard at first but after some effort, hopefully you will be able to understand & get productive.

Good luck ;)

Back