Guidance needed to buy a good television!!

Digital

Disciple
Hi :)

Could any guide me to buy a good television?

Looking for 21" flat screen - not plasma or lcd. Please comment on what factor and tip i need to buy a good TV. Iam discarding my previous TV. Needed good shopping tips. Good brand ? models ??

Pls reply!!

Thanx :) :)

philips pixel-plus..definitely...i have the 29inch one...and it rocks...HDTV ready..S-Video, DVD component input...there is also a D-SUB kinda port..but dint know what its for( dint care to read the manual) :p...

the two brands which are at their best in india right now are

sony
philips.
both these tvs produce excellent visual reproduction.

i presume you are not looking anything except visula pleasure on tv so go for any of these brands.

there are multiple models on 21 inch line up you can select the feature and price according to your budget.

give rest a miss

ps: i have a sony wega 21", phillips pixel plus 29" (at my cousin`s place with my insistance), sony wega 29" at my native place all rock.

phillips i have had a very very bad exprience with their after sales service so i widnt recommend them. Sony definitely ! Although i dont own one the toshiba picture quality also looked gr8.

i find the indian sonys a bit lacking for some reason.. i have a 29" wega that i got a few years ago and a 21" regular imported from japan and the one from japan looks a lot clearer and sharper. dunno if its my imagination but my friend said his panasonic 29" looks better :( toshiba looks ok but not sure of their after sales support. get a jvc if you can find one. had a normal 29" one last time . its with a relative . great sound and picture quality.

Buying a TV depends upon budget. The 100Hz ones with component video input are expensive. A 29" TV can be had for as low as 16-17K. But then you only get what you pay for. It'd be better if you could state the budget. I'd stay away from phillips only for one reason.... after sales service. They are horrible at that. Sony and the korean ones are way better at that. Finally in a TV, all boils down to the picture tube. It might come as a shock to most ppl but the brand in the end means nothing. 90% of the world's 29" CRT picture tubes are made by RCA in china :p.

me have philips 21 flat too..budget model :( still good.....got it for 13K nearly 2 years ago

Whenever I need to buy any thing besides computer hardware I head over to ...

http://www.compareindia.com/

This place does not sell anything but has a massive data base of all types of hardware availble in India and allows for comparisons between different brands. I must add I would not rely too much on the prices mentioned on this site.

Well i just bought a 34inch Sony wega.Its the latest from the sony.HDTV ready,100hz refresh rate,s-video input,component input,superb stereo sound,there is no flickering unlike normal TV since i think there are abt 1250 scanning lines in my tv unlike the normal 625.But it cost me a bomb abt Rs1,29,990.But no regrets excellent visual experience i had so far.Best digital tv in that range. :hap2:
I wud definetly suggest u a sony wega 21inch.Read the specs and features before buying,since there are abt more than 1 model in 21inch.

blueyesdude said:
Well i just bought a 34inch Sony wega.Its the latest from the sony.HDTV ready,100hz refresh rate,s-video input,component input,superb stereo sound,there is no flickering unlike normal TV since i think there are abt 1250 scanning lines in my tv unlike the normal 625.But it cost me a bomb abt Rs1,29,990.But no regrets excellent visual experience i had so far.Best digital tv in that range. :hap2:
I wud definetly suggest u a sony wega 21inch.Read the specs and features before buying,since there are abt more than 1 model in 21inch.
By HDTV ready do you mean it supports 720p or is it just standard 480 in progressive scan?

Chaos said:
By HDTV ready do you mean it supports 720p or is it just standard 480 in progressive scan?
By saying HDTV ready,it is capable of 1080i/720p/576p/480p.
Also it has RCA/ s-video /component video inputs.Further memory stick slot is in-built.
Has PAP(picture and picture) feature,thats very cool.
Other than that it has 3d comb filter,tru surround, and loads of other feature to boast about.
I bought this tv keeping in mind Hdtv and digital broadcasting will be started in india within 2 years since i intend to keep this tv for a minimum of 3 years,it is future proof.
Since it has digital capabilities which is called as DRC-mfv1(digital reality creation) as named by Sony,flickering is almost negligible also they have introduced a feature called as SUPER FINE PITCH in it,might be the same as Dot Pitch in computer monitors.The visibility of the dots will increase with increase in screen size mind you,but the visibility in this tv i bought is almost next to zero thx to Super fine pitch feature introduced.
Even with the current analog broadcasting,there is damn a lot of difference between this Wega and other normal TV's in the picture resolution and quality.Wonder how will it look when digital transmission starts :eek:hyeah:
A perfect eye candy is what i call it. ;)
The model name is Sony KV-HR34M91/61.
If u have enough dough,ur search ends here. :)

im an owner of SONY HR34m91 and does a good job in video and sound but nothing special that philips pixel plus2 or panny tau would'nt do for the extra cost.

sony set has the capability of displaying 720p and 1080i but its useless since digital transmission is far from becoming reality in our region even none or few sattelite HD transmissions here.
secondly the sony does not have a single digital connection (DVI or HDMI). even if one has an upscaling DVD player capable of upscaling to 720p or 1080i this set wont show u 720p or 1080i SINCE most of the players do it over HDMI or DVI. there are a few dvd players which do upscaling through component cable. on this set (SIGH!!) u will only get 480p.
many players which do upscaling and are availble in ASIA (sony,panasonic,samsung,LG,philips even hi end players like DENON,yamaha, oppo,pioneer elite) do upscaling either through HDMI or DVI.

so in my opinion if someone is dreaming of gettin 1080i signals should re-evaluate their choices considering the reality.

philips pixel plus2 is a better choice over SONY esp. considering the price difference and the HDMI connection on it.

i dont know what sony-asia people were thinking when they designed and positioned this set with such high retail and specs and NO digital connection.

the 3D-NR on sony hr34m91 is terrible IMHO. ppl who own and have used this feature would know it leaves huge trails for moving objects on the screen even on progressive signal from DVDs.

Well it seems by 2009 all of north america will go digital. Looking at those trends, it doesn't seem that HDTV broadcasts would start in india before that time. Thats still 4 years away and wasting money on an HDTV now doesnt justify sense to me. By then HDTV prices would have plummeted and they most probably would do 1080p. DVD upscaling... well thats not to useful either. Until blu-ray or HD-DVDs come out with Hidef content, an HDTV doesnt make much sense even for DVDs. I'd rather buy an LCD projector for that kind of money, attach it to my comp and watch hi def content and get a normal analog TV. (The only real movie thats currently available in HiDef is T2)

Back