Guide to swap the PS3's internal HDD with SSD

Infected

Skilled
I understand there are lots of guides on the net on how to do this,
but I just had some first hand experience on it over the last week and though I just post it here,
it might help someone.

IMG_0043.jpg

So what's required :
IMG_0042.jpg

1. My PS3 model is the older 80gb.
2. The SSD I used was the <mushkin Callisto 60Gb Sata2 SSD.
3. An External HDD to backup data if you would like to
4. Philips head screw driver. ( And a flat head if you have small nails like me :) )
Upgrade Steps for PS3 HDD replacement:

IMG_0041.jpg

1. I first deleted all what I did not want be to backed up to the new drive. All the old game installations and save game data was deleted; for all the games I no longer own.
I was only left with Installations Files and Save Game back up of: GT5, UC1, UC2, UC3, Fifa12, and Virtua Tennis :), which was about 20Gb or so.

2. I then connected 1TB external HDD to my computer and formatted it in fat32, using a third party tool.
Note: Any 3rd party tool can be used, but windows can not format Fat32 to such a large drive and hence this tool is required. (I forgot what Windows' fat32 size limit it. but it is much before 1Tb)
Note: You only need the HDD to be as big as the data needed to be backed up, I just had a 1tb handy so used that one.

3. Then connected this newly formatted HDD to the PS3 and used the Playstations in-built back-up utility. This process takes a while.
But it will backup everything, you login details, all the save games, and installations.
Note: I did not have any media to back up, otherwise it will also back up all that data but you need to specify that I believe. I am not sure as I did not perform this.

4. Now comes the hardware part. Its simple. The pic below shows you how to open the PS3's HDD cover.
IMG_0028.jpg

Simply open it with your nails or if you have small nails like me, use a flat head screw driver.

5. Remove the Blue screw, and the 4 screws holding the HDD, and replace it with the SSD.
IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

Two are one the other side:
IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

Screw everything back including the blue screw.
IMG_0027.jpg

6. Turn on the PS3, and you will be greeted with a msg that you need to format the HDD and/or Backup, Click 'YES' and the restoring process will begin. Do not forget to connect the External HDD to backup the data again :p

7. Enjoy the new SSD upgrade.

If you prefer another guide you can go thru the following:
Upsize your PS3 hard drive - Home A/V - CNET Asia

It is really that simple. It does take a while to back-up and restore data, thats all. I just left the PS3 over night to do it both the times so can't tell you how long it took.

Well, how good is it. Humm, I'd leave that to each individual, cause of the cost of SSD's and even HDD as of now :(. Don't get me wrong, it does load everything faster but how much is the question. Ofcourse GT5 is way way faster and I notice even Fifa12 is faster too only at the loading screens, but I am not sure about UC3, maybe I don't know how it was before so can't compare. I just did the upgrade as I did have a spare SSD and time, and I like opening things up. :)

Good luck with the upgrade if any of you are gonna try it out. It don't have to be an SSD but maybe a larger HDD, just make sure it is 2.5" lap top HDD then, and that it fits :)

If there is anything I have missed out please do correct me.
And feel free to reply or PM me in case of any questions.

Re: PS3 HDD Swap (.....with SSD ! )

No not really what sort of improvements ?

FPS etc...no I don't notice any thing besides loading times...

i think he meant if there was any improvement in game installing times,such as when you install gt5.etc.i dont suppose you would have experience of that with the ssd yet,do you?

^^I dont know about installation times as of yet..I just did a complete back up....:(

Okay, let us know when you put in a new disc and it installs data. That takes a while.

:)

^^ depends on which is faster read from the PS3 BluRay vs Write to PS3's 5400RPM HDD. I think the read is faster from the BluRay when it is installing the game...So the bottleneck at this point is the HDD's speed and not of the optical drive.

Now get the SSD in picture, I will have to check the speed of the BluRay optical drive to know where the bottleneck will be, but theoretically it should be faster, cause We earlier stated the between HDD and BluRay the bottleneck was the HDD.

:)

^^point well taken, it would be great for the forum if you could post details of new game installs and load time using both hard disk and SSD..

^^ I am not gonna swap back my old and new drive again for the benches, there are many posted on the net....

As for my experience, now I tested against someone who spend about 15 hours on Uncharted 3. And according to him it is way way faster, I dont know how long it used to take but for me with the SSD from inserting the Uncharted 3 disk till in game level is all loaded ready to play it takes about a minute and a half. Which is way lessr than my friend tells me.

Don't know about discs but it should definitely speed up installation times of psn games downloaded on the hdd.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk Pro.

Now,i have a 150 GB Velociraptor and wanted to know if it would work in the PS3 . Its also an 80 GB model that i have .

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Now,i have a 150 GB Velociraptor and wanted to know if it would work in the PS3 . Its also an 80 GB model that i have .

Back