Audio Guitar Discussion Thread

Re: For guitarists of all levels...

Why does everyone have to do that Vai cover!! :p I used to like that song until I heard every other guy (and chick) playing it lol.

Practicing alone or with another guitarist is the same, and still does not come close to live gigging ;)

well yeah playing on stage is just different i agree... ill join a band after 2 years..

@ the song.. i used to love it when i recorded it but now sick of it.. these days im more into petrucci.. Glasgow kiss is almost complete.. ill upload it when i finish it..

so what do you play..

I spend most of my time writing, started while I was still playing with bands... some are on tape, the rest will be recorded this year. The covers I've done with bands ranges from Clapton to Eagles to Bon Jovi to Mr.Big to AC/DC to Europe to Skid Row to Ugly Kid Joe to Quiet Riot to Ozzy/Sabbath to Priest to Manowar, Metallica, Slayer, Hammerfall, Exodus, Sepultura, Deicide, Corpse, the list goes on but you get the idea :)

After spending the last 2 months looking for my next guitar, it looks like this RG2550E will be that guitar (at least, that's the vibe I'm getting :)). Arrived morning but it needs a lot of work before I can start using it, so busy weekend ahead :) Funny thing is the last 4 Ibanez guitars I've received, all Prestiges, have had very dry/pale fingerboards.

And this is the last Ibanez I traded for the RG2550E:

Before I start work on the new guitar I decided to complete the MT-2 mod which I started over a month ago. I had originally replaced some caps with hi-fi mods for better clarity, dynamics, punchier bass/mids and cleaned up some of the noise.

This 3-way switch makes the MT-2 even more versatile because I can now toggle between a pair of 1N34A germanium diodes and a pair of 3mm red LEDs. The mid-position turns off the clipping diodes for very smooth/bluesy overdrive when the gain is turned down. I'll record some samples one of these days...

IMG_5747.jpg

IMG_5766.jpg

awesome guitar there ... :)

RiO said:
Before I start work on the new guitar I decided to complete the MT-2 mod which I started over a month ago. I had originally replaced some caps with hi-fi mods for better clarity, dynamics, punchier bass/mids and cleaned up some of the noise.

This 3-way switch makes the MT-2 even more versatile because I can now toggle between a pair of 1N34A germanium diodes and a pair of 3mm red LEDs. The mid-position turns off the clipping diodes for very smooth/bluesy overdrive when the gain is turned down. I'll record some samples one of these days...
though i didn't understand anything :)P) congrats on your MT-2 mod :p

Hey guys,
My frets have got dirty by sweat and grime :p. How do i clean them? I read somewhere that simple cooking oil will do.

Wont they stain Rosewood fretboards?

image000kq4.jpg

No, no, not cooking oil - it'll get rancid and sticky in time.

Actually oiling the fretboard is purely a cosmetic tweak. It does not improve the sound, but depending on the condition of your fretboard, may improve playability slightly. A well-made fretboard only needs to be kept clean.

I have had good results with lemon oil. I need one drop for a full fretboard, so a little goes a long way. Before I got that, I was using Vatika. Again one drop for the whole fretboard.

Only use an oil that you would apply to your skin or hair (not cooking oil like mustard), or a synthetic oil like Vatika or Jasmine.

What works best is the regular dishwashing scotch brite, used dry, in the direction of the grain. It also cleans the frets. Oil will restore the original condition and finish, but is not strictly needed. The oils from your skin will transfer to the fretboard in time.

^^

Wont they stain the frets? The frets are like while in color .....:-/

The things you mentioned have a light color..:

Wont scotch bright be too harsh on the frets?? I thought of cotton :O

^^ I didn't see the pics yesterday.

That looks like maple to me, not rosewood. Rosewood is a dark wood, almost black.

You can't use oil on maple fretboards.

The frets are nickel silver alloy. They will not stain with anything, they are metal.

I don't recommend oiling this fretboard

You should not use Scotch Brite with this fretboard. As a rule, dark woods can be treated a little more abrasively. Maple also may have a lacquer coating, which the scotch brite will remove.

Almost any cotton-based cloth will work for cleaning the fretboard. Rub the fretboard parallel to the grain, and finish in the direction of the grain. Use a dry cloth to scrape off the gunk. Be sure to use your nails to go for the area between the fretboard and the fret. That is a tough area to clean, specialy if you haven't done this in a while.

Ohh...sorry yea its maple..

So finally what do i use? I don't wanna stain the fretboard and ruin its finish ..:(

And Thanks a lot! Reps for you! :)

Re: For guitarists of all levels

samrulez said:
So finally what do i use? I don't wanna stain the fretboard and ruin its finish ..:(

sangram said:
Almost any cotton-based cloth will work for cleaning the fretboard. Rub the fretboard parallel to the grain, and finish in the direction of the grain. Use a dry cloth to scrape off the gunk. Be sure to use your nails to go for the area between the fretboard and the fret. That is a tough area to clean, specialy if you haven't done this in a while.

I meant start perpendicular to the grain and finish parallel to the grain, sorry. The Alzheimer's is getting worse by the day.

Lemon or bore oil for rosewood fingerboards. What you have is a maple fingerboard and it doesn't look dirty at all man. Post a better pic because I'm not sure if there is clearcoat on your fingerboard (there probably is).

Over time some of this clearcoat rubs off and is replaced with dirt, so cleaning your maple fingerboard early or often you could speed up that process. If you are interested in cleaning anyway, I'd recommend lighter fluid and a soft cloth. Don't use a tooth brush because that will certainly remove some of the clearcoat.

Personally though, I love the look of dirty maple fingerboards as long as the dirt or grime was from my fingers :p

Seriously, don't bother with cleaning yet... there is no clearcoat btw, and if you ever decide to clean you know what to do ;)

Back