Audio Guitar Discussion Thread

Re: For guitarists of all levels...

samrulez said:
Chill man. Every guitarist goes though the stage.Even Alexi Laiho,Roope Latvala,Dimebag Darrell,Jeff Hanneman and eveyone did. Its normal.

Just keep cool and practice..And remember..

You Suck > Your Ok > Your Good > Your Great! :hap2:

You cant be OK without sucking, and cant be Great without being Good :)

Only v1gnesh knows the extent of brain damage that is done everytime my guitar and amp are powered on.

^ :eek:hyeah:

brain damage is an expected thing :p

OT : LoG's 'Blacken the Cursed Sun' and 'Vigil' kicka$$$$$

cyberjunkie said:
I'm sooo lost when it comes to music theory. My strumming and my ability to keep track of timings sucks! My chord switching isn't smooth - strings go muted a bit. Things have got louder and the door to my room now automatically gets shut from the outside :p
Find a decent teacher locally and ask every question that comes to mind... don't hold back, and practice *everyday*. For timing, just get a metronome or use this free online version. They explain how to use it... after a while you should see an improvement in your timing.

While sorting old bookmarks I came across this really helpful guide on chord theory. You'll find extensive information on chord theory, formation, keys, practice lessons and finger-picking right from a beginner level.

If you're already familiar with chord theory and need a quick reference table for forming chords, use this page.

Boss DS-1 Rectifier mod...

If you've got a Boss DS-1 pedal and basic soldering skills, here's a brilliant mod that sounds as good as the popular Keeley mod, but with more sustain and better harmonics. I personally don't like the Keeley mod, so planning to try this on a DS-1.

Monte Allums Mods - Individual Pedal Mods

Scroll down to the original Rectifier mod, not the Tri-Gain mods (although you can try them too). They ship internationally for a reasonable price, and you get very clear modding instructions. I'll be trying a few mods as soon as my order arrives. Hope this helps some of you :)

There is a Sustain mod for the MT-2 as well, not that the pedal needs it, but the MT-2 appears to have better character and clarity with the mod.

No modding for me just yet. The kind of hatred you get online if you own a Boss DS1 or MT2 is crazy. "You own a Boss pedal? DS1/MT2 huh?" *STAB*STAB*STAB*STAB*STAB*!@#!?$@

Ooh ooh last evening, i think i may have got the hang of some basic palm muting. Also did the whole 1-2-3-4, 2-3-4-5, 3-4-5-6..... patterns going upwards with all 4 fingers with increasing tempo and building up some right hand power and accuracy. Might be doing it wrong but I was pretty impressed by by the speed I managed to achieve. I know speed doesn't mean a lot but it was damn good fun! :p Now to jump strings and start moving backwards and some other patterns and start getting more consistent.

I spend AT LEAST 2hrs a day every single day since I bought the electric. I will look at those chord formation and theory links - they look pretty simple to understand. Tankoo! Noise begins starts in 10minutes :p

^ :p

as i said, keep doin the basic 1-2-3-4, 4-3-2-1, 1-3-2-4 and 4-2-3-1 on each of the strings.. and keep increasing no.s too.. ex.. 1-2-3-4---2-3-4-5--- n so on for each formation ..

and 100% sure, after this practice, your fingers will feel smoother and easier to move around :)

cyberjunkie said:
No modding for me just yet. The kind of hatred you get online if you own a Boss DS1 or MT2 is crazy. "You own a Boss pedal? DS1/MT2 huh?" *STAB*STAB*STAB*STAB*STAB*!@#!?$@

Hatred towards what? Aren't people happy with their multi-effects pedals anymore? :) What if they see my collection heh?

And that 1-2-3-4 exercise up and down the keyboard is just for warming up and it's too easy, so try changing the pattern to something like 1-3-2-4. You can even make them triplets like 1-2-4 or 1-3-4.

A really challenging left-hand exercise to build speed and dexterity is to play this pattern on each string and move 1/2 step down once you've covered all 6 strings:

2-1-2-1 | 3-1-3-1 | 4-1-4-1 | 3-1-3-1 | 3-2-3-2 | 4-2-4-2 | 4-3-4-3 | 4-2-4-2

* The numbers are the frets AND your fingers (index = 1, pinky = 4), so study the pattern and continue it as you move down the fretboard (finger numbers stay the same though lol)

* Since these are pull-offs you don't really have to use your picking hand if you don't want to

All the best, and focus primarily on accuracy while gradually working on speed, but don't forget to work on your chords and scales because they're more important than warm-up exercises ;)

EDIT: Perhaps it's time we moved this discussion to a 2008 Guitar thread so people can continue to share ideas, tips, tricks, etc. V1ggy do the honors?

Wanted to share this... ;)

Finally upgraded from a bedroom Spider to a real amp, a Fender Frontman 212R - 100 Watts into two 12" Fender Special Design 50 watt speakers :D It's really friggin' loud even at 2, and the drive channels are nothing short of impressive... capable of handling anything from blues to metal, even at low volumes. With this my little home studio should be up and running... whew!

someone tell me what are keys and modes?

from what i understood, modes are scales you can play vertically rather than down the fretboard ?

whats the meaning of ionian mode in key of G or key of C?

ionian is MMmMMMm so starting from C that is CDEFGABC

if we were start the same from D, it would be DEf#GABc#D, is this called ionian in key of D?

Keeping fingering the same, ill move 2 frets forward for it?

If you were asked to play D Ionian, you would play D major.

If you were asked to play D Aeolian, you would play the notes of D minor in the key of F (with a B flat).

The underlying harmony could be in any key, but you wouldn't care about dissonance.

For example, the harmony could be in D major and the melody in D Mixolydian - which would include a C but not C#. This is quite common and creates a bluesy sound on the song. The flavour of the melody is different from playing the same notes as in the D major scale.

The difference between the two is nomenclature (the difference between Sodium Chloride and Salt), and serves as a way to express the sound other than the names of the notes. You know that when you play Aeolian mode over a major scale of the same note, you get a dissonance at two points (figure out which :D). This dissonance creates texture.

A scale is built on intervals. A mode is a convenient way of expressing how that scale would sound against the harmony underlying it - the emotion of the music.

Clear as mud, no? The best way to figure out modes is to play through them over a harmony. Use a jamtrack or have a friend play chords in the key of D. Then play through each mode up and down, and you'll begin to get a feel of their power.

Note that modes are used by very few people. Most modern music is strictly pentatonic, or at most full-scale. Blues scale is also popular, with a flattened seventh and a few other variations. I can think offhand of Satriani and Steve Vai as users of modes in some pieces (specially the latter), but struggle to think of any recent music that resorts to using modes. Most listeners don't have the time. You may be able to find modes in Metal music, but I don't listen to it so can't comment - however it's quite likely.

nukeu666 said:
someone tell me what are keys and modes?
from what i understood, modes are scales you can play vertically rather than down the fretboard ?
whats the meaning of ionian mode in key of G or key of C?

ionian is MMmMMMm so starting from C that is CDEFGABC
if we were start the same from D, it would be DEf#GABc#D, is this called ionian in key of D?
Keeping fingering the same, ill move 2 frets forward for it?
The funny thing is, as a guitarist you're probably playing all the modes without even realizing it :) As Sangram pointed out, it's just nomenclature/definition... it's never easy to spot the modes even if you listen carefully. I think it's a gift, which Satriani surely has (and Gilbert, Vai, Hammett, Friedman among others).

If you can, download Joost and look for Satriani's lesson on modes with great examples. That's the best explanation of modes I've heard, but what I loved in that video is how he breaks all rules and switches from one mode to another with the same chord progression lol.

I wouldn't dare place a beer mug on that amp, plus it was morning and I don't drink before noon ;)

RiO said:
I wouldn't dare place a beer mug on that amp, plus it was morning and I don't drink before noon ;)

more OT : the beer mug near the XPS notebook (pic..).. is real : o ?
i thought i was photochopped :eek:hyeah:

Yup, this is the ultimate backing tracks site - appropriately named too ;)

@v1ggy, that was firework-ed, but my beer is generally next to my XPS while I'm working :p

Selling my DS-1 Rectifier ;)

This Boss DS-1 distortion pedal is a couple months old and in excellent condition. Added a Rectifier mod right after purchase which makes the DS-1 sound a whole lot better. Selling this because I'm waiting for the Vox Satchurator to release this summer. Until then, I've got an old TS7 to reproduce Satch and other 80's rock tones.

It's on sale locally but if anyone is interested here, I'll find a way to get it across for you. Sale price: Rs.4500, which includes shipping but you might have to wait a few weeks. I know these pedals are insanely priced in India so 4.5k should be a sweet deal considering it blows the stock DS-1 out of the water ;) Make sure you have a decent amp to go along with it.

Noticeable improvements (after mod) from my point of view:

- enhanced harmonic structure especially for pinched harmonics

- smoother gain and sustain

- brilliant for Satch tones (primary reason I did the mod)

- sweet overdrive with distortion turned down to 1

- the thrashy highs kick in only after 12 o' clock

- a cool bright blue LED :D

Detailed list of mods added to replace stock caps/resistors/diodes: Several Hi-Fi Mods, Tube Tone Mod, Smoother Gain Mod, Clarity Mods, Rectifier Diode Mod, More Bass & Mids Mods.

Feel free to PM any questions you may have. Posting the sale here because it will get the right attention from guitarists on TE, as opposed to the market section.

Back