Audio Guitar Discussion Thread

Re: Guitar Discussion Thread 2008

thanks for the info

current acoustic is a gb&a ag 100 i think...

is there any way to reduce action on it? there are no nuts or screws to do it...drastic action would be to file away the bridge

on another note...how is a marshal 10w and ibanez gsa60(few months old) combo for 10k?

Action is never adjusted with a bolt or screw. That little bolt in the truss adjusts the bow of the neck and only affects the curve of the fingerboard.

To reduce action you have to file the nut, or the bridge or in cases that it goes totally out of whack, a neck reset is required.

To file the bridge (simplest), use a ruler to measure the action at the 12th fret. For a properly set up acoustic it should be 5/16 inch. Use a piece of paper to mark the nut with how much you intend to file away, or better still, do it on a replacement nut blank.

sangram said:
To file the bridge (simplest), use a ruler to measure the action at the 12th fret. For a properly set up acoustic it should be 5/16 inch. Use a piece of paper to mark the nut with how much you intend to file away, or better still, do it on a replacement nut blank.

From The Complete Idiots Guide to Playing the Guitar:
On a classical guitar the height of the strings at the first fret will be about 1/16 in (1.5 mm). At the bridge end, a similar adjustment can be made to the bridge bone to produce a height at the twelfth fret of approximately 3/16 in (5 mm). The reason the measurements are approximate is that the exact amount depends on the height of the frets and the total string length, both of which vary from maker to maker. Note that these measurements are for the nylon string guitar. The metal strings of the acoustic guitar are set lower due to the greater tension, and for the sake of the left hand, steel strings need to be as low as is practical, consistent with clear sound.

FRETS.COM

The lower the action, the more chance that the light strings that we use in this country, will buzz against the 14th fret onwards. I use no less than 4/16 on all Indian and Taiwanese guitars, and 3/16 on my handmade, for which the medium strings I always use come in from abroad.

Hey Guys!

I just started learning guitar...joined classes. Wanna buy an acoustic guitar, best suited for a beginner! Do suggest...budget= 5K!

you can get Granada for 4K ,Pluto w/ Pick ~5K .. also theres some Yamaha model for ~6K ! :)

i have the granada and its awesome sounding for that price !

sangram said:
I'll be going in for a bunch of stuff for recording soon.

On the cards (apart from the recording rig) are a bunch of mics, both condensor and dynamic, a Walden or Greg Bennet Electric/Acoustic, A Mex Fender, and a lot of stands. Maybe a Vox amp, if I can get some of my spare guitars to sell.

I'll post some recordings once I get started.
That's cool, Sangram - what amp and interface? I have an SM57 and mic'ing my Fender solidstate and VOX AD50VT-212 didn't sound great. Direct was much better. I have a couple samples that need re-working when I'm back home/UK.

hybridindigo said:
Oh :( i have to wait till i post around 15 more posts heh, anyways will put up the Wah Pedal ASAP
I normally list guitar stuff for sale here because more guitarists check this thread than the market - it's a different story that nothing has sold lol, but give it a shot. Which Crybaby model is that, and why do you want to sell it?

Still trying to decide between the Vox (whatever is available here) and some mics, to balance off production versus recording. I'm using a Delta66 but also can press my 1212m into duty. My biggest issue is the preamps on my little Behringer mixer, but I'll live with those for some time I guess. Can't upgrade the whole shebang at one shot, or I'll go broke for sure. I would try direct first, going by your advice. I've had pretty decent luck micing my Marshall with an Ahuja condensor mic, but then it was only the backing track and not used for solos.

nukeu666 said:
thanks for the info

current acoustic is a gb&a ag 100 i think...

is there any way to reduce action on it? there are no nuts or screws to do it...drastic action would be to file away the bridge

on another note...how is a marshal 10w and ibanez gsa60(few months old) combo for 10k?

That little Marshall sounds like shit. Sorry, but that's just the way it is. If you have a pedal or are planning to get one, the Stranger cube actually has better tone.

sangram said:
That little Marshall sounds like shit. Sorry, but that's just the way it is. If you have a pedal or are planning to get one, the Stranger cube actually has better tone.

Amen, i've used a Stranger Cube with a TS7 and it really does sound better than the little Marshall.

Btw Sangram, as a VOX owner i would totally say go for the 30VT or the 50VT, sadly the "Blue" Valvetronix series isnt available here afaik, cause thats a much better line, especially for recording.

sangram said:
Most solid-state Marshalls should be incinerated, especially the dfx series :p I really enjoyed playing a Peavey Bandit for rock/metal, and it's capable of great clean/bluesy tone.

sangram said:
Still trying to decide between the Vox (whatever is available here) and some mics, to balance off production versus recording. I'm using a Delta66 but also can press my 1212m into duty. My biggest issue is the preamps on my little Behringer mixer, but I'll live with those for some time I guess. Can't upgrade the whole shebang at one shot, or I'll go broke for sure. I would try direct first, going by your advice. I've had pretty decent luck micing my Marshall with an Ahuja condensor mic, but then it was only the backing track and not used for solos.
The AD50VT is a decent amp but there aren't many clean sounds to use... Vox has done a great job of modeling classic amps of the 70's and 80's but they're all over-driven. My dad uses this for live gigs sometimes and his biggest issue is the clean amp models going into overdrive when volume is up past 75%. This is the 212 version I'm talking about.

Back