Video H265/HEVC Android Box

Check thoroughly as most of these boxes struggle to play HEVC 10bit encoded files
They struggle a bit with fullHD H264 10bit content (cause there are no hardware decoders for 10-bit H264 yet), but not with HEVC 10 bit files. Like I said on page 2, I have the 3rd gen Mi TV Box, purchased from ebay for 5.1k. It comes with Amlogic S905 processor. And between Kodi, MX player and it's default player, it has managed to play everything I have thrown at it quite comfortably, including few 10-bit HEVC 4K clips. Only negative is Chinese UI, but that's easily fixable.

Which company product did you buy? What were the drawbacks?
no major drawbacks - It was specifically for my requirement of 23.976 frame rate matching- Not a problem if your display does not support native 23.976 /24/25/29 hz (the common frame rate for most encodes) -
If it does, you will notice slight jerkiness as the system compensates for playback of say 23.976 at 60hz
If it doesn't (many TVs don't), you will get that jerkiness regardless of the device you use

In other words, a NUC (or even a RPi) will try and set the refresh rate of your TV to the frame rate of your video - thus you end up getting a 1:1 match (assuming the TV supports it)
Almost all android devices on the other hand will maintain the refresh rate at 60hz (or 30/50 depending on how you set it up) thus requiring frame pulldowns to keep the video in sync

Would the jerkiness be visible on a monitor? I just want to replace my PC with one of these Android TV box.
The jerkiness would be visible on any display
The question is whether your display supports native 24p playback - If it does, get a player that also supports it so you can eliminate it.
If it does not support 24p, it doesn't matter anyway whether your player supports it or not
Just look up the specs of the monitor to see if it does

My monitor only supports 50 & 60Hz @1080p.
BTW, I've seen a reviewer on YT saying that the S812 chip does dolby and dts lot better than the S905 chips. While searching for android boxes, I saw that only S812 chip boxes had optical out port while the S905 chips don't have this port. The main drawback of S812 chip is it is limited to 30fps max for 1080p/2k/4k video. And youtube wont go above 720p on such boxes for some reason. For S905 there is no limitation since it can do 60fps HEVC and H264 natively for 1080p/2k/4k video. Only thing it can't do properly is dolby and dts output.

I watch a lot of movies with dolby/dts/flac/ac3 audio in them. What chip box should i get? S812 or S905? How do I get dolby/dts output from s905 box if i'm using hdmi cable for monitor and will be using external speakers?

Edit: I bought this Beelink Mini MXIII from gearbest.
http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_349815.html
Added insurance and tracking and total came to Rs. 3120.76 shipped. I should have chosen EMS to get delivery in a week. :(

Last edited:
You can change it to english! A full blown tutorial is available on youtube! And I think it is available in English language too! Plus you can ask the ebay seller if he is selling the english version because Mi has recently launched it in USA too! So definitely it is having an English ROM too!

BTW, I've seen a reviewer on YT saying that the S812 chip does dolby and dts lot better than the S905 chips. While searching for android boxes, I saw that only S812 chip boxes had optical out port while the S905 chips don't have this port. The main drawback of S812 chip is it is limited to 30fps max for 1080p/2k/4k video. And youtube wont go above 720p on such boxes for some reason. For S905 there is no limitation since it can do 60fps HEVC and H264 natively for 1080p/2k/4k video. Only thing it can't do properly is dolby and dts output.

I watch a lot of movies with dolby/dts/flac/ac3 audio in them. What chip box should i get? S812 or S905? How do I get dolby/dts output from s905 box if i'm using hdmi cable for monitor and will be using external speakers?

Added insurance and tracking and total came to Rs. 3120.76 shipped. I should have chosen EMS to get delivery in a week. :(
Very impressive box. Would have been great if it could output dolby and dts

The Vega S95 which has a S905 has an optical out port.As to Dolby output I cannot say anything as I use the internal TV speakers

Any of these discussed android boxes supports Dolby True-HD and DTS-HD-MA?

My requirement is Gibabit LAN, ability to play Blu Ray ISOs, Blue Ray Folders (without need to go to Folder->BDMV->STREAM->File.m2ts) with Dolby True-HD and DTS-HD-MA.

And it should also play H265/HEVC files.

Any of these discussed android boxes supports Dolby True-HD and DTS-HD-MA?

My requirement is Gibabit LAN, ability to play Blu Ray ISOs, Blue Ray Folders (without need to go to Folder->BDMV->STREAM->File.m2ts) with Dolby True-HD and DTS-HD-MA.

And it should also play H265/HEVC files.
It does meet all your needs.Check out the review below.

https://www.avforums.com/review/tronsmart-s95-vega-telos-meta-pro-android-box-review.12319

Please note that if you buy it get the MINIX Neo A2 Lite air remote as well.I crimped out on that and then ended up paying the 20$ shipping when I had to get the remote anyway.

Get the Telos version as it supports wifi ac as well.

Only issue is that you have to root it to get around the Lollipop external storage write restrictions(especially for deleting duplicates from Kodi).

I have installed Xposedmod on it as well for Gravitybox and other tweaks.

Please use Stickmount Pro by Chainfire if you plan to mount NTFS formatted portable hard drives.

Don't go with the standard Paragon NTFS as that deleted my entire movies collection on a portable HDD while I was installing Xposedmod.:eek::eek:

Did you receive the beelink at 3k ? looks like a way better package than a pi3 for media use.

ordering 2 will save shipping cost , can you wait till july end max and order together. we will both get it in a week with fedex ie than using unreliable china post.
Nah man, im getting it for 70-75 from aliexpress. And all other couriers send it for customs. With china post there is a good chance you dont get charged customs. Others compulsorily do it.

Not yet. It's standard shipping so it will take around 2-3 weeks I guess. Last I saw it was shipped to the Netherlands. Tracking was not updated.
Chances are, it is shipped from Netherlands. I have got my Android stick last year from Gearbest in similar fashion.

Got my Beelink Mini today. Box is just around 6cm square. Its smaller than a 5in phone. :D
No customs charges.
beelink-mini.jpg

Back