Hack to use microSD and SIM simultaneously in hybrid slot

paarkhi

Skilled
I thought about this, would putting both a microsd and a sim into a hybrid sim slot work if the contacts for each are on opposite sides?
Yes, technically it works, there are many youtube videos confirming it but the sim should be thin
The thickness for the hack should be below 1.25mm according to this video, the youtuber shows (in first 5 mins.) the measurement with Digital Vernier Callipers

Last edited:
tldr; Jio sucks
Yup, interconnect has changed from bad to worse ; to the extent that, people are asking for your "Asli Number" if a Jio number is given.
4G is getting slower day by day...

Finally found a great DIY hack to test on Jio Sim... (was afraid to check it on regular number Sim)
[emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12]

Yes, technically it works, there are many youtube videos confirming it but the sim should be thin

Finally found a great DIY hack to test on Jio Sim... (was afraid to check it on regular number Sim)
[emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12]

Were either of you able to get this working? I guess if you do the heating trick and remove the sim thingy from it's plastic card, it should be thin enough to go into the slot if stuck to the microsd.

I'm thinking it might be easier to do this on my vodafone postpaid, because if the sim dies, i can get a replacement sim easier than from jio.

Were either of you able to get this working? I guess if you do the heating trick and remove the sim thingy from it's plastic card, it should be thin enough to go into the slot if stuck to the microsd.

I'm thinking it might be easier to do this on my vodafone postpaid, because if the sim dies, i can get a replacement sim easier than from jio.
Once you remove the plastic from the back then there's gum/glue on the circuit (6 points in case of jio) which you need to remove. I've already spoiled 1 jio sim (don't have other to try, not trying on regular sim because mi max has sim 1 slot as hybrid which is reserved for jio atleast for now)

I'd suggest to cut the sim to nano and use isopropyl alcohol or petrol /nail polish remover instead of heating the sim card because in that you can again insert the sim in the plastic shell and use it.

All my sims are already nano (3-in-one). At the back, you need to remove the bump so it will stick flat right? Is it epoxy they used to seal the chip and circuit ? And did you spoil it by removing too much, thereby damaging the chip?

All my sims are already nano (3-in-one).
1) At the back, you need to remove the bump so it will stick flat right?
2) Is it epoxy they used to seal the chip and circuit ?
3) And did you spoil it by removing too much, thereby damaging the chip?
1) Yes
2) Yes
3) I believe it was damaged due to extra rubbing on sandpaper because after burning the plastic from the back, I tried twice to put the sim (pasted on MicroSD card) and Sim tray but never successful to insert the sim tray in Mi Max due to the thickness even after rubbing/grinding the other side of MicroSD card. (it is shown in one of the video to grind the SD card).

First time after removing the bump a little I tried to stick the sim and the sim tray was not going inside the phone so I removed the sim from the microSD card and used it as it is (it was working then) then after few days I rubbed the bump the circuit side of the sim on sandpaper and pasted again on MicroSD and tried it again, even then I was unable to push the sim tray inside the phone but after removing the sim (pasted on the MicroSD) from the MicroSD card second time, I inserted it again but was unable to get any signals from it.

In short I was never able to push the sim and the sim tray inside Mi Max (tried twice), it was not as thin that the sim tray would insert in the phone, but after second try I lost all the signals from the sim, so I believe that it was broken while trying second time due to extra grinding of the bump circuit side.

How the heck were those guys on YT doing it so easily then? Does the redmi note 3 slot have more space?

As long as my sim is able to get a network, i can get a replacement sim very easily, so i don't really need to preserve the plastic back. But if the sim dies completely, i can't send the sms to activate the new sim, i can't show the hacked sim at the store to get a replacement, and if i tell them it's lost i may need an fir.

How the heck were those guys on YT doing it so easily then? Does the redmi note 3 slot have more space?

As long as my sim is able to get a network, i can get a replacement sim very easily, so i don't really need to preserve the plastic back. But if the sim dies completely, i can't send the sms to activate the new sim, i can't show the hacked sim at the store to get a replacement, and if i tell them it's lost i may need an fir.
I think may be by practice, please let me know the outcome of the hack if you try it.

Thanks @logistopath for creating the new thread.

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) I believe it was damaged due to extra rubbing on sandpaper because after burning the plastic from the back, I tried twice to put the sim (pasted on MicroSD card) and Sim tray but never successful to insert the sim tray in Mi Max due to the thickness even after rubbing/grinding the other side of MicroSD card. (it is shown in one of the video to grind the SD card).

First time after removing the bump a little I tried to stick the sim and the sim tray was not going inside the phone so I removed the sim from the microSD card and used it as it is (it was working then) then after few days I rubbed the bump the circuit side of the sim on sandpaper and pasted again on MicroSD and tried it again, even then I was unable to push the sim tray inside the phone but after removing the sim (pasted on the MicroSD) from the MicroSD card second time, I inserted it again but was unable to get any signals from it.

In short I was never able to push the sim and the sim tray inside Mi Max (tried twice), it was not as thin that the sim tray would insert in the phone, but after second try I lost all the signals from the sim, so I believe that it was broken while trying second time due to extra grinding of the bump circuit side.
@paarkhi great work.
I did not get enough time to try it out.
I have a couple of useless old Sims, I'll master the technique of removing the Sim chip on them (because that is the most difficult part) and then try on Jio Sim...

I'll be most benefitted if I could get it to work, my both phones S7 Edge and Redmi Note 3 have a hybrid Sim slots unfortunately.

@paarkhi great work.
I did not get enough time to try it out.
I have a couple of useless old Sims, I'll master the technique of removing the Sim chip on them (because that is the most difficult part) and then try on Jio Sim...

I'll be most benefitted if I could get it to work, my both phones S7 Edge and Redmi Note 3 have a hybrid Sim slots unfortunately.
Removing plastic from the metal is easy but removing the gum/epoxy from the back of the metal chip/sim plate or circuit and making it thin enough is hard.
Yes, I also want to try again but don't have any useless sims lying around to grind and paste on the MicroSD card :( I also want to put my Jio sim along with the MicroSD.

Last edited:
Removing plastic from the metal is easy but removing the gum/epoxy from the back of the metal chip/sim plate or circuit and making it thin enough is hard.
Yes, I also want to try again but don't have any useless sims lying around to grind and paste on the MicroSD card :( I also want to put my Jio sim along with the MicroSD.

Instead of sanding, what about using a blade to gradually scrape/shave off the epoxy? I think i saw it in one of the videos.

Great find. Now I just need to buy a phone to test it :p

LOL[DOUBLEPOST=1475605475][/DOUBLEPOST]Btw, saw one thread on the miui forums saying previously this hack was working but after upgrading to 8, the phone is randomly rebooting. Not sure if the reboots are positively confirmed due to the sim hack or it's just a miui 8 issue unrelated to the hack.

Instead of sanding, what about using a blade to gradually scrape/shave off the epoxy? I think i saw it in one of the videos.
I've also tried scraping/shaving the epoxy but I think I went very harshly on the sim.
I don't think MIUI will reboot just for that, there's a user on XDA who tried this hack and he said it's working but he broke the sim tray during the second time with a different sim in over enthusiasm, need to tread carefully. Poor fellow is waiting for the sim tray from aliexpress. Sim can be replaced but replacing a sim tray is difficult (not impossible).
http://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-max/help/mi-max-sim-tray-t3469676[DOUBLEPOST=1475622882][/DOUBLEPOST]
Great find. Now I just need to buy a phone to test it :p
hehehe...... Redmi 3S prime is perfect for you, read on another thread that you are interested in buying it, so suggesting it. ;)[DOUBLEPOST=1475623018][/DOUBLEPOST]
A mobile shop near my home does this trick for 100rs. He'll replace the sim if he damages it during the process
That's good but the problem is not ₹100, problem is to find a guy in my city who can do it and if he breaks the sim or sim tray during the process then waiting for new sim(tray). Please let us know the outcome. Which phone are you trying it upon?

Last edited:
I have this double-sided tape. It would make a great removable alternative to cyanoacrylate, but i fear even this thickness would add to the already tight squeeze.[DOUBLEPOST=1475632407][/DOUBLEPOST]0.1mm thickness[DOUBLEPOST=1475632571][/DOUBLEPOST]
I don't think MIUI will reboot just for that...

I can't find the page now, but i remember he said it was working fine on miui 7, after updating to 8 it started rebooting or losing signal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have this double-sided tape. It would make a great removable alternative to cyanoacrylate, but i fear even this thickness would add to the already tight squeeze.
Please see this video specially from start to first 5 mins, the youtuber shows the thickness needed to perform the hack with digital vernier callipers
I can't find the page now, but i remember he said it was working fine on miui 7, after updating to 8 it started rebooting or losing signal.
you can try the hack, if it starts rebooting then remove the hack and try once again, the page which you read maybe when miui8 was in beta, now the final has come.

Back