Hack to use microSD and SIM simultaneously in hybrid slot

Worked like charm on my S7 Edge. I didn't even pasted the SIM on the memory card. I have just used cellophane tape to hold the SIM below the Memory card. Worked in 15 minutes worth of efforts.

Screenshot_20161021-194141.png

I think it might be slightly easier in sim trays where the contacts are facing downwards, because it probably has a bit of room to move upwards if too tight. Downside is the microsd may have a slightly loose contact. Not sure about any of this, just guessing.

There are two things i think that could change after this mod. One is the sim slot contacts are being pushed way back into the board and they may be slightly loose if used on a normal (thickness) sim now. This could possibly be remedied by bending them outwards slightly. How is another matter :D. 2nd is the micro sd slot contacts may not be getting enough contact because the tray will now be at the opposite extreme of its play.
This is pretty significant isn't it. Risk losing the use of micro sd as well as the second sim !!

Getting it working first time is one thing, what things will be like 6 months to a year from now another.

Messing around with sim contacts and damaging them means motherboard replacement, to the tune of 50% or more of the price of a new phone. The risk to me is not worth it unless you do this only on cheap phones. You could get lucky where they just replace the micro sd or sim slot holder but that requires micro soldering skills. Some boards have a modular setup others do not.

proof of concept works. i believe it, doing it, hmmm. how desperate are you people.[DOUBLEPOST=1477390871][/DOUBLEPOST]
Hi . Does any one know any particular shop in gaffar or delhi who has gained some proficiency this this work ..
If you indemnify them from damages i'm sure anyone will be willing to try. What do they have to lose. it's your neck after all.[DOUBLEPOST=1477391351][/DOUBLEPOST]
One 32gb was bought from India, rest from amazon.com. All were ultra. 2x32gb and 1x64gb failed. Had enuff...
All my ultras came from amazon and two years work later work just fine. They'never been removed, they've lived in the same device since installation.

Did you notice any error messages sd card removed etc, prior to them failing or was it just one fine day they became unreadable ?

Was warranty of any use to get replacements ?

Last edited:
This is pretty significant isn't it. Risk losing the use of micro sd as well as the second sim !!

Getting it working first time is one thing, what things will be like 6 months to a year from now another.

Messing around with sim contacts and damaging them means motherboard replacement, to the tune of 50% or more of the price of a new phone. The risk to me is not worth it unless you do this only on cheap phones. You could get lucky where they just replace the micro sd or sim slot holder but that requires micro soldering skills. Some boards have a modular setup others do not.

proof of concept works. i believe it, doing it, hmmm. how desperate are you people.
I don't think it makes any adverse effect.

Last edited:

proof of concept works. i believe it, doing it, hmmm. how desperate are you people.

It's not as serious as you think. I'm not sure about a microsd slot, but IIRC a sim slot contact can retract completely into the recesses. So even if it's in that position for a long time and loses its action, it can be simply bent back into a contacting position. And even in case of complete slot failure, i don't think a board replacement is warranted. You can get just the slot replaced and soldered. You'll be amazed at the repair work local shops do. I'm not a big fan of their workmanship, but they get the job done.

All my ultras came from amazon and two years work later work just fine. They'never been removed, they've lived in the same device since installation.

Did you notice any error messages sd card removed etc, prior to them failing or was it just one fine day they became unreadable ?

Was warranty of any use to get replacements ?

I didn't bother with the cards bought from amazon.com because you know, USA, and even the local one, I didn't have very high hopes because i've had enough bad experiences claiming warranties in india, so never tried. No error messages per se, but reading/writing files would have errors and fail. This was mostly with one phone though, so maybe it was killing cards after some use.

It's not as serious as you think. I'm not sure about a microsd slot, but IIRC a sim slot contact can retract completely into the recesses. So even if it's in that position for a long time and loses its action, it can be simply bent back into a contacting position.
If you leave the sim & microsd card in and only use those two it will be fine. If you remove them then either a single microsd or second sim may not work again. I don't know about bending contacts back again, how reliable it will be.

And even in case of complete slot failure, i don't think a board replacement is warranted. You can get just the slot replaced and soldered. You'll be amazed at the repair work local shops do. I'm not a big fan of their workmanship, but they get the job done.
A local guy that has been at it for several years is likely more skilled than people in service centres and by a good margin. They handle so many kinds of phones.

I didn't bother with the cards bought from amazon.com because you know, USA, and even the local one, I didn't have very high hopes because i've had enough bad experiences claiming warranties in india, so never tried. No error messages per se, but reading/writing files would have errors and fail. This was mostly with one phone though, so maybe it was killing cards after some use.
They were not fakes then.

1 November 2016 93624 PM IST.jpg

A local mobile guy did it for me, he said 128gb is thick due to the sticker sort of thing with serial number written on it and will create problems so we went for transcend 32gb which I readily had. I did it for Jio Sim, didn't want to take chances with my main Airtel Sim.

Last edited:
A local mobile guy did it for me, he said 128gb is thick due to the sticker sort of thing with serial number written on it and will create problems so we went for transcend 32gb which I readily had. I did it for Jio Sim, didn't want to take chances with my main Airtel Sim.
Where is the shop, city ?

Where is the shop, city ?
Shop and I are in Haridwar, Uttarakhand
but I'm sure if you show the videos to some Jugadoo (expert) Mobile repairer and tell him that you are ready to take the risk then he'll be ready to try. I first gave him non-working (but detecting) memory card and useless sim which was Network active to try. He did it successfully on that and then we went ahead with the actual project. I asked in about 6-7 shops before him.

Update:

I switched to vodafone prepaid and got a new sim. I was worried about removing the sim superglued to the sd card. My friend just popped it off with his fingernail! I guess the super-smooth and slippery surface of the sim chip didn't really hold.

But when I put in the new sim directly, it said no sim. I think the sim reader contacts are now permanently in the depressed position. Temporarily solved it by putting a folded piece of paper between the sim and tray. I was out in the field so couldn't do much else. Will be sticking the new sim chip to the sd card soon.

So yes people, this mod does permanently affect your sim reader contacts.

i tried this on my airtel SIM
put that in the lakme nail polish remover - http://www.amazon.in/dp/B006LXBF0E
it came out easily after 30 odd minutes , removed the glue using a cutter blade from rear of SIM
but it dint work . SIM became unsuable , was not recognized in any device
What did i do wrong ? did the strong nailpaint remover short the SIM or damaged the pins while removing glue ?
had seen the YT guides they had removed glue to reduce thickness but dint work out for me

You guys should try the Hybrid Sim adapters available on Amazon / Ebay for about Rs 200. Those work really well and the chances of any damage is
very unlikely.

You guys should try the Hybrid Sim adapters available on Amazon / Ebay for about Rs 200. Those work really well and the chances of any damage is
very unlikely.
cant use transparent Spigen case with that , the hanging SIM kills the golden beauty and it comes upon flash and heart rate sensor in S7 edge
have purchased today though even knowing this
check customer images in this http://www.amazon.in/Hybrid-Slot-Ad...1501141426&sr=8-1&keywords=hybrid+sim+adapter

super ugly in transparent case

i tried this on my airtel SIM
put that in the lakme nail polish remover - http://www.amazon.in/dp/B006LXBF0E
it came out easily after 30 odd minutes , removed the glue using a cutter blade from rear of SIM
but it dint work . SIM became unsuable , was not recognized in any device
What did i do wrong ? did the strong nailpaint remover short the SIM or damaged the pins while removing glue ?
had seen the YT guides they had removed glue to reduce thickness but dint work out for me

The clear epoxy at the back is meant to protect not just the chip but also the bond wires. Most probably, you damaged them while scraping off the epoxy.

Check this post to see the bond wires in somewhat detail.

@paarkhi please edit your OP and add this post as a warning. People need to know there's a risk to the sim tray contacts before they try this mod

Back