Half Life returns (finally) after 12 years- Half Life Alyx

fleshfragger

Disciple
After a hiatus of 12 long years, we finally get another half life (or a spin off) in the form of Half Life Alyx. This is Valve's first true VR (ONLY) game and the protagonist is Alyx Vans. This is a prequel to Half Life 2 (2004) and connects stories of Half Life one and two.

I am super excited. I cant believe we are getting a new Half Life. However, as it is VR only , it is going to be super expensive to play this title. Also, according to reports, this is not some glorified tech demo but a full length game (15 hrs)

So my to-do list for next year VR, PS5, Xbox Scarlett, sell both the kidneys...

Well, Valve generally introduces new technology with a new game. For instance, with HL2, they introduced steam, that has changed video game distribution model. Maybe they are doing the same with VR tech. Maybe this will finally make VR mainstream.

The main issue is, present VR hardware is extremely costly. For instance, Valve's VR hardware costs $999. maybe this title would eventually bring down the cost of VR hardware.

I reckon the future of interactive entertainment is VR only. all other frontiers have already been breached.
Post automatically merged:

I dont understand this anomaly. We are finally getting a new Half Life game after such a long wait, and the forum is silent? why?

When I first saw the news feed, I skipped a beat. Then saw the trailer and felt the rush similar to playing HL2 the first time. The first scene reminded me of Ravenholm.
Then the reality dawned that it was VR only and the excitement diminished. I do not intend to spend money on a beefed up PC AND a VR headset with my limited gaming time nowadays. Good that we are finally getting a Single Player experience from Valve that too in the HL universe (even though its not HL3). But sadly, I aint the target audience, at least in near future.

I am disappointed. Valve had a goldmine in its hands and it waited 12 years and instead of releasing a sequel, they decided to do a prequel that too in VR only.
Apart from the VR requirements, the minimum specs are also insane.

Well, Valve has a reputation of introducing new technology to the market. It introduced steam with HL2 and now it is everywhere. I reckon is this Valve's attempt to mainstream VR. Maybe HL3 will get developed in VR only?

Also , I reckon this would come out on consoles as well, maybe after a while and thus PSVR would be a cheaper way of playing this.

But yeah the gameplay looks epic. We dont see such FPSes these days. I hope more such fpses are made.

And for the story, they had to make a connector, and this is perfect.

PS:- a part of me is hoping that they launch a non vr PC Physical Version as well

The whole VR kit costs $1000, which is not available in India. Plus the game requires at least a GTX 1060/RX 580 with 12GB RAM.
I think its just a way for Valve to peddle its expensive hardware.

Well, the game is a masterpiece. Too bad we wont be able to play it, sigh!
Why do you say that? I hope they release a non-VR version on consoles. Thats the only way I have some chance of playing it. HL2 was the last game I remember completing till the end.

Why do you say that? I hope they release a non-VR version on consoles. Thats the only way I have some chance of playing it. HL2 was the last game I remember completing till the end.
Actually this title was created to show of Valve's VR hardware, so I reckon it wont be released on psvr/ non vr version wont be released on consoles/pc.

Yeah but after a while when they have milked the hysteria and VR sales have plateaued, it would make sense to keep the cash train rolling by releasing the game on other platforms. Unless they release more VR only games to keep pushing the VR sales.

Yeah but after a while when they have milked the hysteria and VR sales have plateaued, it would make sense to keep the cash train rolling by releasing the game on other platforms. Unless they release more VR only games to keep pushing the VR sales.
According to online sources, they are developing HL 3 on VR only. A particular ending in the game has given that away apparently.

Back