Storage Solutions Harddisk boot error!!

lohith

Disciple
I Have two Harddisks Samsung IDE 40GB(4 years Old) and a 160GB WD Sata.
Recently my old IDE HDD started giving problem.I have two partitions on this and installed Two OS on these partitions.recently after few minutes of work say 15to30 minutes harddisk makes a weird noise like a small fan and whole systems hangs up i have to press reset button no other option.And in bios Option Primary Harddisk slave Not Detected displayed.
So i installed OS in new Sata Drive and deleted the OS which is in the old IDE harddisk.Set the Boot Priority as WDC 160GB HDD.
Now Problem is Noise in the old harddsik still persists but if i disconnect it my system wont boot eventhough IDE has nothing to do with OS.
Why system not booting after disconncting the old harddisk??

probably in your setup the old 40gb ide is set to primary via jumper (ide is given priority over sata) so what happens...

When you install OS you select 160gb to install but actually due to primary disk, the critical file to start the OS like boot.ini and ntdetect and ntldr etc gets copied in 40gb.

Best option is disconnect the power off 40gb and then fresh install OS on 160sata and only then r-connect 40gb.

Also from bios set boot priority as

CD/DVD

160GB

40GB

You can make 160 GB drive as Primary by changing jumper position and 40GB as Secondary and then install your OS on 160GB drive...it should work....

Back