Graphic Cards HD 4890 or HD 4870, where to buy ?

shashank_r_t

Disciple
Hi All,

Following is my config:

E6750 + ASUS P5B vanilla
And powersafe 450W PSU :S

Now my query is.. should I go for HD 4890 or HD 4870?

Indian Price - 4890 - 14K and 4870 - 11K (Approx)

HK price - 4890 - 10.5K and 4870 - 8K (approx)

Should I buy this in HK or in India.. note that I cant send it back for RMA in HK

Also whats the exact price for above cards in Mumbai, India

My concerns are that my CPU + PSU will be insufficient...

Plz help..

Your PSU is certainly insufficient. Another thing to check is if your cabby is big enough (i dont see which one you have in your sig). Do some measurements to find if your cabby can take it. Ordinarily this shouldnt be a problem, but I recently discovered I probably cant fit a bigger graphics card on my rig because my drive bays would be in the way.

CPU should be fine, you might have to OC a little (again not recommended on that PSU). Invest in a good PSU even if it means settling for a 4870 right now.

About what abby said, IMO somebody is always launching something right around the corner. If you keep waiting, then you keep waiting.

You will need to upgrade your PSU and overclock your processor a fair bit to be able to keep up with either of those cards.
You're on a 17 incher for which those cards are massive overkill anyway(even for your 32 inch TV, since the resolution of the same is surely no more than the max on a 19-22 inch monitor). You're on slower RAM, think of upgrading that and getting yourself a 4670/4770 which will keep you happy till DX11 cards are freely available.

I am guessing he is going in for a phased upgrade. A graphics card now and later when he has money a better monitor. If he is, then a good card with a poor monitor now makes more sense than a poor card and a good monitor.

In this case the best course of action would be -> better PSU -> better card -> better monitor.

Which is pretty much what I am planning to do as well.

HI All,

Thanks for the replies..

@Vulcan / Amien - Yep exactly.. I am going in for a gfx card then a monitor upgrade (at least a 22 incher) Secondly will also be upgrading my CPU + Mobo (but thats next year)
Hence I dont mind upgrading the PSU

Now the question still remins.. to get in India or HK?

Can someone plz point the latest prices in Mumbai or anywhere in India for following::

1. HD 4870
2. HD 4890
3. GTX 260
4. GTX 275

I knwo I can get latest prices from theiwares or lynx india .. but will prefer current street prices.

@ Abby - even though ATI will launch the DX 11 cards in November.. but there prices will be way high compared to international prices (ATI disti sucks) and hence may wait for it. Also I am looking for kind of an intermediate solution till a major upgrade next year

You can buy it from HK if they offer International warranty. I still wouldn’t be sure if they would bear the shipping costs for RMA. So, it is always better to check the devil in the detail before the purchase. Or best, just spend the extra 3k here in India and gain peace of mind.

Check the Dealer Paradise

ITwares are offering at some great prices and they have a shop at Lamington

You can scout Lamington for the best price and check with ItWares and see if they can better it

Else buy from where you get best pricing

buying gfx card locally is a wise decision and waiting for DX11 series cards to be launched 3 months down the line is much wiser

Back