Graphic Cards HD6850 : Grinding Noise over 50% RPM

panzer008

Disciple
Hi everyone

My Sapphire HD6850 card's fan is not going over 1800-2000rpm..... once it hits tht rpm range it starts making grinding noise..... and speed fluctuates between 300-2400rpm with grinding noise........

Temps under 20% load(just normal video playback) reach 60C...... games like COD4 take it to 80C...... cant play now..... At idle its around 48C with Fan at 1150rpm(auto)

AMD CC is where I found that after 50% overdrive fan setting...... it starts making grinding noise.....

Have the latest driver installed 14.9......

I am not able to find the bill for the card....... also it might be out of warranty.....

What to do?........ any GPU coolers in India for Rs.2-3k?

If you want to try something before spending so much on a cooler, try this.

Remove the fan and all the external coverings if any to expose the cooling fins.
Zip-Tie a Chassis fan 120mm/90mm and power it using a motherboard fan header.

This will not respond to the power setting of the GPU drivers but the air-flow should be sufficient enough to not let it overheat even under load.
You can control the speed of the fan using SpeedFan or any 3rd party application.

I removed the fan without removing the external covering....... cleaned it...... man handled it a bit.... and screwed it back.......

Increased gpu fan speed to 50-60-70-75% increments thru CC...... Fan went upto 3300rpm without any problem or noise....

didnt push it more........ left it at 75% or above 3000rpm for 1/2 hr...... still no noise or rpm flux.....

Seems to hav fixed itself with little cleaning.....

Incase of any problems in the future...... I like ur ideas........ the 120mm fan as well as gpu fan...... lot practical than a gpu cooler...

Thx a lot for the help.....

Back