HDD and Mounting Bracket for PS3

sriharsha

Disciple
Hello TEians,

Good afternoon every one... I ve bought PS3 super slim 12gb model recently. Now I want to upgrade the storage space. Can you please help me suggesting the right place to buy mounting bracket and hdd for ps3?

Is 320 GB good enough for an occasional gamer? somewhere I' ve read, even without bracket HDD will work fine. Is it true? (source forgotten).

thank you all in advance. @Amien , @Gannu

SH

AFAIK the only thing you need to ensure is that the drive is a 2.5 inch notebook HDD and it should be formatted to the FAT32 file system. The HDD should be contained in a metal frame, I don't think you will need a separate bracket... Just to clarify I do not have any personal experience with this but it seems pretty straightforward...

Indeed the super slim 12GB variants require an additional bracket accessory for mounting the 2.5" hard drive. As such this accessory is only for guiding the hard drive into the slot so the SATA connector connects to the one on the console's mainboard. I am not sure how this could be done without the railing. If you could do that and if the hard drive is well supported, there shouldn't be any issues.

320GB should be more than sufficient. Even 250GB is fine. A dozen titles wouldn't occupy all the space within this drive with all the game data and save data.

Indeed the super slim 12GB variants require an additional bracket accessory for mounting the 2.5" hard drive. As such this accessory is only for guiding the hard drive into the slot so the SATA connector connects to the one on the console's mainboard. I am not sure how this could be done without the railing. If you could do that and if the hard drive is well supported, there shouldn't be any issues.

320GB should be more than sufficient. Even 250GB is fine. A dozen titles wouldn't occupy all the space within this drive with all the game data and save data.

yea gannu. I will look for the 250 gb version. just yesterday I got two titles, GOW 3 and GT 5 from game4u website. Good service :)

http://www.ebay.in/itm/HDD-Hard-Dis...ames_Consoles_Accessories&hash=item565c8e6560

There are some workarounds to get it done without the bracket(google) but its probably safer to just get the bracket.
Stick to a 5400 RPM drive, It'll run cooler, will likely be cheaper and load times should not be affected significantly.
Good luck. : )
yea amien, saw that and ordered. Now can you help me in getting a 250gb HDD? what I should be looking at? and suggest the best games for ps3 as well :)

Back