HDTV buying advice template

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The "Help me buy an HDTV" thread!

^Did you try tinkering around with the sharpness settings?

What is driving the display? is it the IGP or a dedicated GPU? ATI and nVidia offers tweaking within their control panel.

Shakensoul said:
Got the Panasonic L42U20 for 47k :). I got Panny primarily for the 3 years warranty and easy EMI option offered, didn't want to rack my brains with multiple options, usb playback was not so important becaused its already hooked to a htpc.

Down payment - 17625 + 700 (processing charges)

EMI - 1959 x 15

BTW, Vijay sales and croma quoted me ~55k for this model.
From where?

@shaken

that indeed is a good deal.

is there any interest in emi??

@gannu - Its the IGP, onboard Zotac GF 9300 through HDMI. Will try the sharpness setting.

@strategy - Got it from Panasonic brand shop in Central Market, Lajpat Nagar. I guess all the panasonic brand shops will carry the same deal.

@m-jeri - Only 700 processing charge, no interest on EMI.

BTW, forgot to mention the most important thing.......got free gift of benetton couple watch :p ...MRP mentions 2600...i think its worth around 1000

Need to buy a 40" Full HD LCD/Plasma as soon as possible.

1. Budget. Arnd 60K

2. Viewing distance. 10 - 12ft

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc. - BD Player/X360/STB/PC

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV. LCD/Plasma

5. Preference for brands. Sony/Panasonic/Samsung

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market? No

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room. Nothin fancy. Just regular lighting.

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc. Full HD/ Good picture quality

Im looking at the following models,

1. Sony 40EX500

2. Sony 40NX500

3. Samsung 40C550

4. Samsung 40C650

4. Panasonic P42V20D

5. Samsung PS50C550

^Get the Panasonic P42V20 plasma display. Nothing beats this HDTV when it comes to PQ. Not even the LED backlit/edgelit panels available in the market currently. Much better than the Samsung PS50C550 as well when it comes to superior black levels.

Minus the slightly higher power consumption and heat emission (usual for all plasma panels btw) there are no other concerns. For the viewing distance you have suggested, you should ideally be getting a 46incher but no 46 inch panels would fit within the budget.

Thanks a lot for the reply. What models are available in the 46 inch segment and their prices as well if u know?

1. Budget.

2. Viewing distance.

8 feet

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc.

Airtel DTH

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV.

LED/LCD TV

5. Preference for brands.

Sony, Panasonic, Philips, etc (Not Samsung)

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market?

Yes, will mostly be buying it from there

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room.

Can be controlled

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc.

None. Have a PS3

Current models i'm looking at:

Sony Ex700 (From grey market)

Sony NX700 (From grey market)

Sony Ex500

Philips 42 LED 7 series

Panasonic LED 40"

amigoatul said:
Thanks a lot for the reply. What models are available in the 46 inch segment and their prices as well if u know?
Some models from 46 inch LCD stable worth considering would be Samsung LA46C530, LA46C630, Sony 46EX400 and 46EX500. They are all a notch above your budget although the cheapest would be the C530. I have mentioned about Samsung's panel lottery policy in the previous posts. Do take a look just in case you plan to narrow it down to a Samsung LCD!

Fahrenheit said:
1. Budget.

2. Viewing distance.

8 feet

Airtel DTH

LED/LCD TV

Can be controlled

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc.

None. Have a PS3

Sony Ex500

Philips 42 LED 7 series

Panasonic LED 40"
The Sony EX500 is not an LED TV. It is essentially the EX400 + the MotionFlow 100Hz tech. I am not sure if the 40NX700 would fall within your budget if you are looking to buy it from the grey market. Have you enquired about the pricing nevertheless? I'd recommend the 40EX600 or better still the 40EX700 which is essentially the 40EX600 + the MotionFlow 100Hz tech. I was told that the 40EX500 itself costs about 55k in the grey market. the 40EX600 should be a good 6~8k more IINM.

Although I am aware Philips has launched the 2010 lineup including the LED TVs, I haven't seen one in the showrooms or outlets yet. Thus I can't comment. Perhaps adder can pour his thoughts here.

Fahrenheit said:
1. Budget.

2. Viewing distance.
8 feet

Airtel DTH

LED/LCD TV

Can be controlled

None. Have a PS3

Sony Ex500
Philips 42 LED 7 series
Panasonic LED 40"

NX series has nothing special other then the design.
The LED-lcd tvs are not available in grey market atleast not in ready stock.
The philips are hard to spot,not all showrooms are keen to display philips lcds,but they can get it on order.
Haven't seen any of the new 2010 lcds,but their lcd with Sharp panel only start from series 6 in 40" .

Philips markerting ,sales and support for tvs have been taken over by videocon .I hope its not the same crappy service as electrolux and kenstar which also being serviced by videocon.

EX500 are usually in ready stock costs 55k in grey market ,perhaps one can get it cheaper if you have good bargaining skills which i suck at.

You can also add the Samsung 40" series 6 to your list.

thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll be buying it mostly this weekend. I may stretch my budget a bit or buy it from Ebay Global Easy Buy where all these models are available for less than 60k shipped to India. Any drawbacks buying from Ebay other than the obvious lack of warranty?

Well if its indian ebay its fine,but buying from global ebat not so sure whether one get the indian versions or US 110v/NTSC versions.

But in the grey market you can inspect the actual tv you buying for any defects.

well, the difference between the Indian price and the Ebay Global price is nearly 30k+ for each of these TVs. If the grey market price is say 5k more than the Ebay price then i dont mind paying but if it crosses 10-15k then ill def buy it from Ebay.

Also, thanks for the info about that voltage thing, will there be problems if i hook it up directly to my power supply? AFAIK Sony Tvs like the PS3 have inbuilt voltage converters...

If the tv is a US model then you will need to buy a transformer based voltage converter.But the indian and asia models work with 110v to 240v .
But more then that US models only accept NTSC signal,not our indian PAL.

i have an Airtel HD box with an HDMI connector. Does the ntsc thing still matter?

I want to buy HDTV :
1. Budget. Max 45,000/-

2. Viewing distance. 10 - 12ft

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc. - PS3, DTH

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV. No preference

5. Preference for brands. Sony/Samsung

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market? No

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room. Nothin fancy. Just regular lighting.

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc. Full HD/ Good picture quality/good gaming experience

Thanks

1. Budget--> rs 32000/- +-5%

2. Viewing distance-> 10-12 ft.

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players-> airtel hd/PC(not so important)/x360

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV-> no such preference:p

5. Preference for brands-> SAMSUNG/LG/PANASONIC/may consider others

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market-> NO

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room-> regular

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc.--> USB playback is a must,FULL HD etc
i have finalised these 3 models but open for more sugestions
LG 32LD460
SAMSUNG 32C530/550
pls suggest any other model which will be perfect in this budget
Thanks
malefic:thanx:

Gannu, one of the things most people miss is the minimum distance required to avoid rapid eye movement, especially viewing fast action scenes. It's also a bit too subjective to measure. Any dope available on this?

1. Budget.
$1100

2. Viewing distance.
8-10 feet

Tata sky/Airtel DTH

LED/LCD TV

No, Will buy it from online store, where ever I get best price.

Can be controlled

3D not required

9. Biggest concern is shipping to India from US(Air India). Also I would like to know
how much I've to pay Custom Duty. If the risk and cost is more then I will buy LCD from India.

Samsung LN46C630K1F (~$900 at BestBuy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back